Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • WHEN ARE SHIMANO GOING TO DO SOME NEW RAPID RISE REAR MECHS !
  • scu98rkr
    Free Member
    legend
    Free Member

I’ll pass, but thanks anyway.

steel4real
    Free Member

FFS – doesn’t look like the chap behind it has even moved on to shadow mechs.

ratherbeintobago

I thought the answer was… they’re not.

Just like they’re not going to make any more Dual Control brake levers.

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of RR mechs I want to try soon, both XT ones. A friend of mine swears by them and I can see the advantage so I am RR curious!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

You serious?

scu98rkr
    Free Member

see they still live ! 🙂

captaindanger

There are loads on ebay for a few quid each cos nobody wants them

kelvin

Still using RR on one bike, but I think Shimano have given up on it.

Shadow+ is brilliant… just relearn and switch if you have to.

timbur
    Free Member

RR and flippies on my geared bike.
    It’s ace.
    I’ve a small collection of mechs in storage.

squin
    Free Member

I switched to SRAM years ago, but has RR before that and loved it.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Rapid rise is so much better for off road riding I have no idea why anyone would think it isn’t. The only disadvantage I can see is getting used to it. Shame they dropped it.

cookeaa

So far as I know there’s no more than 5 people on Earth who actually ever wanted “Rapid Rise” shifting, strictly speaking these backwards shifting oddballs should be shouted down, it was a technical/marketing dead end, get over it…

Don’t think a petition is really warranted.

That said I really want to try a RR/Gripshift combo out, just to see what such a back to front twist shifting setup would be like… Then I’d probably take it all apart and go back to proper shifting like what normal people have…

Dougal
    Free Member

I have M953 and an M970 rear mechs in the garage that are perfectly good apart from the lack of jockey wheels.

RR is ace, just a shame that the Shadow design makes it hard to pull off.

D0NK

There are loads on ebay for a few quid each cos nobody wants them

no there aren’t.

matt_outandabout

RR are ace. I am a convert.
    Even better, here and pinkbike are a source of RR XT/XTR mechs for not a lot…. 8)

Leku
    Free Member

alot

wwaswas

I loved RR.

My new frame needs a shadow mech for the cable routing though.

I now have one bike RR and one not and it’s doing my head in.

So I’ll shortly have two XTR RR mechs for sale plus an LX one 🙁

honourablegeorge

I had one RR mech – it sort of made sense – was easy to grab a lower gear when you needed one suddenly, and you’re always pedalling strongly and probably on the flat/downhill when you need a higher gear, so the “harder” shift was smoothed a bit. I guess that was the theory, I didn’t go searching for another when it was time to replace, though.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

yeah are old Rapid Rise Mechs about but I want a new one with all that Shadow/Better Cabling/Clutch malarkey the new ones have.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

PS everyone who said they want one sign the petition we need to start some where.

Dickyboy

RR mechs rock, mind you I did have to change all my bikes over after I’d bought the first one by mistake – so not that much of a bargain then 😳

scu98rkr
    Free Member

And I want a 10 speed one which works with the new shifter with out any hacks

evenfasterson
    Free Member

IT’S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! MOVE ON.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

NO !

bigyinn
    Free Member

At least the petition will serve a useful function in identifying these oddities who think they’re good!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Yup having the chain move up to an easier gear under load is a mad idea!

lovewookie

rapid rise and gripshift user here.

Thing with RR mechs is that they just don’t wear as quickly as the high normal mechs. (IME obv.)

I recently changed my M951 as the cage bolt wore out and became wobbly. The rest of the mech is in my spares box. Changed it for a M960, cheap off ebay.

so, a 15 year old mech dies, replaced by a 8 year old mech. still life in the old stuff. 🙂

jameso

Would be good if the mech spring was 2-position so you could do either. I’d use RR on a road bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I liked RR, it just seemed to work better in the real world where shifting is rarely perfect and you don’t remember to ease it accross gentlty.

Probably wouldnt work with a clutch though as that already slows the downshifts. Or it would need either;

a) much stronger spring
    b) a cluch that sensed the gear change, eased off the chain tension, then locked again when the next gear engaged. Would either mean 2 lots of indexing, or rolhof style indexing in the mech.

I give it one more revision before XT becomes a pinion style gearbox, with XTR remaining as chains/cassette/mechs for max efficiency on race bikes and <SLX the cheep dereilieur option. A bit like Ultegra getting hydraulic Di2 rather than Dura Ace.

D0NK

I give it one more revision before XT becomes a pinion style gearbox,

can’t see it myself, shimano already do a seperate hubgear range.

A bit like Ultegra getting hydraulic Di2 rather than Dura Ace.

not sure what you mean there

Dougal
    Free Member

A bit like Ultegra getting hydraulic Di2 rather than Dura Ace.

The Hydraulic Di2 is a non-series part, neither Dura Ace or Ultegra.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

can’t see it myself, shimano already do a seperate hubgear range.

Precicely, so how long before they stick it up front in a pinion style box?

not sure what you mean there

I meant, typicaly the second tier groupset usualy gets the utilitarian upgrades first, like the original XT disk brakes. Whereas XTR/DA get the lightweight or race orientated upgrades first.

The Hydraulic Di2 is a non-series part, neither Dura Ace or Ultegra.

You seem more pedantic than the entire bike industry which seems to have called it ultegra (google: di2 hydraulic, every result on the first page calls it ultegra, or ultegra level), even shimano gave it a 78x part number, and its release shortly after the 78xx groupset.

Dougal
    Free Member

You seem more pedantic than the entire bike industry which seems to have called it ultegra (google: di2 hydraulic, every result on the first page calls it ultegra, or ultegra level), even shimano gave it a 78x part number, and its release shortly after the 78xx groupset.

Shimano decided not to release this under the Ultegra name as the lever was more bulky than standard Di2 or even mechanical shifters. Lars VDH was seen using prototype (all machined aluminium) Di2 levers at a race a week or so ago, with a profile bearing greater similarity to the regular Di2 levers. I imagine these will become part of a named group.

D0NK

I meant, typicaly the second tier groupset usualy gets the utilitarian upgrades first

ah right I was not aware that DA didn’t have a hydro Di2 shifter. Makes sense now.

Still reckon we got a bit to go before pinion, mind you, how often are the groups updated? 4years? Was XT last year? So 6 or 7 years time for your theory, hmm…

Was about to ask would shimano really introduce di2 (which I reckon next XT will have) and then dump it for the next iteration? But then I remembered, this is the bike industry, of course they would.

AlexSimon

All my mountain bikes are Rapid Rise. Always felt just right from the first time I used it (no flappy paddles here).

It’s definitely put me off going 10-speed so far, so it must have cost Shimano at least £50 in lost sales. They must be struggling.

3dvgirl
    Free Member

I want 10 speed flapy paddle snifters, only reason im still on 9 speed.

chestrockwell

I really liked the RR set up I had a few years back. Only changed because I bought a new bike without it. It was the only brand new XTR set up I’ve had though so I was never quite sure if it was the RR part that was ace or the XTRness. Changing up easily under load = sense to me.

Out of interest, do those who say it’s sh*t have any reason apart from ‘it shifts the wrong way’? Also, have they all used it for a decent period of time?

juan
    Free Member

My 1998 RR XTR is still going strong. All my MTB have RR mech. And I have one spare looking for one more spare.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Is rapid rise the one where you can’t brake and down change at the same time?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘WHEN ARE SHIMANO GOING TO DO SOME NEW RAPID RISE REAR MECHS !’ is closed to new replies.