• This topic has 73 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • When a gig is really loud!
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Saw Suicide supporting The Stooges (hell yeah!) at Hammersmith, they may not have been the absolute loudest but my god it felt like it.
    It was like they were filling up all the frequencies all the time, a literal (OK figurative) wall-of-noise.
    Feedback rock used to be my genre of choice but this was like nothing I’d ever heard before.

DezB
    Free Member

Saw Suicide supporting The Stooges
    Wow, what year??

chakaping
    Free Member

Wow, what year??

I could say it was 1977, but I’d only have been five so it wouldn’t be very credible.

2010 probably.

Both were right up there in the “reformed acts who’ve still REALLY got it” stakes.

CountZero

Grand Slam at Golddiggers in Chippenham, I think 1984, (the band split up in ‘85, Phil Lynette died January ‘86), I was stood in front of the speaker stack on the right of the stage taking photos, I couldn’t make up my mind whether to put my fingers in my ears or carry on shooting, it was painfully loud. I still have the ringing in my ears…
    I’ve used earplugs pretty much ever since, either the little yellow foam ones, or triple-flanged silicon, and more recently ones like those Cougar linked to, mine are by Rooth, via Massdrop promotions. Wouldn’t be without them these days.

teesoo

Went to see From the Jam in Newcastle a couple of weeks ago. They were great, but thought that they would have been better if they’d turned it down from 11. Maybe I’m just getting old…

DavidB
    Free Member

Stupid question… But why is it always so loud? Surely they could notch it down a level?

inkster
    Free Member

I promoted the first Dillinger Valve sound system event in Liverpool in the early noughties, my eyeballs were rattling as I was writing out the guest list, which looked like it had been written by a spider. One of the mc’s ears started bleeding and bits of the ceiling fell down. And I was wearing ear plugs.

senorj

Loudest I’ve ever endured was Leftfield in Brixton 1996 & then My Bloody Valentine at the roundhouse ,around 10 years ago maybe… Holy crikey-PARDON.
    Good though. I also saw the Wildhearts several times – they were brutal too.

ratherbeintobago

Mogwai at SWG3 destroyed mine- basically take a normal, brutally loud mogwai show then squeeze it into a venue 1/4 the size made entirely out of concrete. I could almost feel the bolts in my hip vibrating loose.

They were pretty loud in Leeds a couple of weeks ago.

Loudest one I’ve been to would’ve been MBV at the Apollo about ten years ago. I thought my fillings were coming out.

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Sunn O))) in Islington Mill??? My my, heaven and hell crushed into a singularity! 😀

LCD Soundsystem, Ritz, 2005/6. Sounded like every driver in every box was about to explode, but in an amazing way. Always had loud tinnitus but for a week I thought it was going to be ten times worse – kinda felt it would be worth it! (It got better)

As a sound engineer and an audiologist, ear plugs are a good idea. Custom moulded ones should be so comfy you don’t notice them and reduce level to safety. Reason to have loud room and plugs is the neurotransmitter release from high levels of bass, literally makes you feel good (unless you have a psychological aversion to loud sounds, then you won’t enjoy it!). Plugs mean you can achieve that without the overall sound being dogsh*t.

Tinnitus /probably/ means permanent damage, but in a cumulative and often incremental way. Best not to worry if you’ve already experienced some as the “cure for tinnitus” (it’s not possible from what we know of what it is) is essentially to recondition one’s response when noticing it to not give a toss. Mine is always there, it’s only really gig levels that can mask it, but having it from childhood means I don’t mind it. Wouldn’t like it to get much worse, but am prepared to Zen through that as it comes

richardkennerley

Tinnitus /probably/ means permanent damage, but in a cumulative and often incremental way

Think my tinnitus has got worse incrementally after years of gig going. But I definitely blame Hookworms at Gorilla for making it more permanently noticeable. I can switch it off when I’m preoccupied, but it can be quite annoying at night.

chakaping
    Free Member

My Bloody Valentine at the roundhouse

I was at that one, but we’d got quite drunk beforehand which must have distracted me a bit.

Loudest one I’ve been to would’ve been MBV at the Apollo about ten years ago

Yes that was the gig I referenced above, my wife walked out IIRC. Glad we were in the dress circle.

maccruiskeen

Stupid question… But why is it always so loud? Surely they could notch it down a level?

Because more of anything is obviously better. And because the sound man is deaf.

edhornby

Also the sound is dependant on how full the room is, if it’s not a sell out then a good sound engineer should turn around and check whether the empty venue at the back is reflecting the noise back

Klunk
    Free Member

the ramones @ cambridge corn exchange

DezB
    Free Member

Stupid question… But why is it always so loud?

Because gigs where the sound is not loud enough are ruined by the ignorant **** morons who stand around chatting about crap all the way through the set.
    Brighton Dome is never loud enough and I had a full on row with 2 pricks who just seemed to be there to talk about problems getting a babysitter for little Tarquin and why their Miele tumble dryer was playing up.
    The louder the better. Although, you do then get those willing to SHOUT to hear each other’s twatty conversation rather than pissing off to the bar, like they should.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

The two gigs that did for my hearing were both at Brixton Academy. LCD Soundsystem and TV on the Radio (second was bad enough i left early).

Slowdive at Reading University in ’92 rendered me unable to stand up.

Fantombiker

Also Motorhead in 1982, at Southampton Gaumont, it was so loud I couldn’t tell one song from another, thank God I was not near the PA stack…ringing in my ears for days afterwards. One of the best gigs i’ve been too, they played so fast and tight.

theotherjonv

Pixies at Newcastle Uni in 89 (I think) was earsplittingly good. The Wedding Present are the most regular culprits for ringing ears, but in fairness that’s not just their thrashing guitars but the fact I’ve seen them about 30 times now (odd, because all the songs sound the same?)

It has to be loud so that your ribcage is in mortal danger. The loudness is an almost undesirable side effect, I’m seeing plugs more frequently and I’ve never had comments or looks to suggest I’m other than a proper gig going man.

I’d heard Dinosaur Jr was going to be loud but their recent Sub 89 was perfectly listenable without plugs. Still very good, mind.

donks
    Free Member

The rollercoaster tour with my bloody valentine and Jesus and Mary chain was pretty loud as I recall

emsz
    Free Member

Sleigh bells at Manchester a few years ago. There’s just two of them, and a wall of Marshalls. My ears were ringing for days after. I’m sure I’ve got hearing damage been to so many gigs.

jamj1974

As mentioned already, Primal Scream on the Xtrmnatr tour – very loud. Ride re-touring Nowhere a couple of years ago – even louder and the recent MBV tour louder still.

jamj1974

Because gigs where the sound is not loud enough are ruined by the ignorant **** morons who stand around chatting about crap all the way through the set.
    Brighton Dome is never loud enough and I had a full on row with 2 pricks who just seemed to be there to talk about problems getting a babysitter for little Tarquin and why their Miele tumble dryer was playing up.
    The louder the better. Although, you do then get those willing to SHOUT to hear each other’s twatty conversation rather than pissing off to the bar, like they should.

Too bloody true.

senorj

Some very cool cats on this thread!
    🙂

ratherbeintobago

I’m sure there was a story about the ‘Gwai taking offence at this in the early days, and playing louder and louder until everyone in the crowd left.

jerrys
    Free Member

Motorhead, Hammersmith Odeon 1985 or 1986, was pretty loud.

Also, UFO at Exeter Uni 1981

carlosg
    Free Member

Slayer/Lamb of God/Anthrax/Obituary 4 weeks ago at Manchester arena was bloody loud. My ears stopped ringing after 3 days ,my eldest son (13) faired a bit better and stopped after 2.
    Cracking gig though!😁🤘

Edukator
    Free Member

That reminds me of one of junior’s gigs, ratherbeintobbago. Madame found the volume levels unbearable so went outside to find a significant and growing proportion of the audience hanging around. Clubs in France are suposed to keep the PA below 102db average IIRC but there’s not a lot they can do when the band has a good drummer and 1kw of amps on stage.

plumber
    Free Member

Louder the gig worse the band I generally find

I’m playing a 1 watt marshall at rehearsals and gigs (quite loud enough thank you) – too quiet? – assume I’m playing exactly the correct part I have always done

DezB
    Free Member

Louder the gig worse the band I generally find

No correlation whatsoever in my experience. Or the opposite – as previously, too quiet and it’s ruined by chatter.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

$WAN$ OMG! yeah. Probably the loudest gig I’ve ever been at. Definitely the loudest in a small venue with a low ceiling anyway. Around 1991/2 Edinburgh Venue.

Glad I’m not the only one, Newcastle Riverside on (probably) that tour, still to this day the loudest gig I’ve ever been too.

plumber
    Free Member

No correlation whatsoever in my experience. Or the opposite – as previously, too quiet and it’s ruined by chatter.

Hi Dez,

Try in future not replying to my posts – lovely

traildog
    Free Member

as previously, too quiet and it’s ruined by chatter.

I tend to find the chatter increases as the volume goes up. When it’s sensible levels, the chatter gets noticed and people soon tell the offenders to shut up.

I find most gigs require ear plugs. I have found many too loud with ear plugs and just have to leave. It becomes annoying forking out a lot of money and then not being able to enjoy the music for fear of losing your hearing.

And as many people have said – ring ears is sign of damage.

DezB
    Free Member

Try in future not replying to my posts

Ok, I’ll just think they’re bollocks in my head.
    Like, from now.
    cheers

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘When a gig is really loud!’ is closed to new replies.