• This topic has 73 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • When a gig is really loud!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Bollox! I’ve not had ears ringing like this for a long time. At this very moment in time I’m regretting the up the front finish!

colournoise

Saw Frank Turner at the O2 Leicester earlier this year. Up on the balcony at the front level with the speaker stack. 48 hours of obviously knackered hearing and I sadly suspect some long term effects (always had a bit of a whistle but now more noticeable).

Makes me feel old, but I think earplugs are in order next gig I go to…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

What like AC/DC at Newcastle Arena 1996? That loud?
    My ears are still ringing.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tjagain

Protect your ears. tinnitus that you get after gigs is a sign of damage – you will end up like me with noise damage deafness and permanent tinnitus. Its not nice. Use earplugs please

scratch
    Free Member

I saw Swans a few years ago at the Marble factory in Bristol, everyone had ear plugs, being a hardened gig goer I ignored everyone until they started playing….then luckily found some tissue paper in my pocket that I rolled up and put into my ears.

Northwind

Mogwai at SWG3 destroyed mine- basically take a normal, brutally loud mogwai show then squeeze it into a venue 1/4 the size made entirely out of concrete. I could almost feel the bolts in my hip vibrating loose.

(Therapy and the Wildhearts 2 nights in a row with slipknot’s soundman had that beat but only because that was basically 4 rounds)

trumpton
    Free Member

I’ve got some custom made ear plugs for DJ’s. Thet were not cheap but are brilliant if I go to a rave, or gig. Very small and reduce the sound to non dangerous levels without affecting bass or sound quality. If your ears are ringing permanet damage is occuring.

geex
    Free Member

@scratch $WAN$ OMG! yeah. Probably the loudest gig I’ve ever been at. Definitely the loudest in a small venue with a low ceiling anyway. Around 1991/2 Edinburgh Venue. Saw a guy who’d been right by the speakers who’s ears were actually bleeding. Mental loud! Good though.
    Didn’t realise they were even still going. If the band isn’t all deaf by now get whatever ear plugs they use.

seadog101

Mogwai at SWG3 destroyed mine- basically take a normal, brutally loud

Yup, enjoyably suffered their sonic attack at SSE Hydro last year. I didn’t wear ear plugs, but don’t think they would have helped…

trumpton
    Free Member

I think you can get universal fit plugs now on amazon although I am not sure. Think they are cheap now. Mine knock something like 30db’s off the level. Not sure if they look alright though. If you can get away from the music at a rave give your ears a break every now and again. I appreciate its’s hard to do this at a gig

found these

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I’ve used docs pro plugs when gigging/clubbing for years, best I’ve found for discrete use that aren’t very expensive

beej

I’ve been using “musicians” ear plugs at gigs for about 5 years now, just knock enough off the sound to make things comfortable. No more ringing ears and in some ways they improve the sound overall. I think it’s about 20-30db they take off across the range.

onandon
    Free Member

Always carry these to events and pop them in when needed.

I damaged my right ear years ago and anything too loud make it crackle.

Surefire

bedmaker

Yep, earplugs for me too nowadays.
    I wouldn’t worry about trying to hide it, I’m a confident adult after all.

Makes the sound more enjoyable, loudest gig recently was Elektrikal at Belladrum – clothes flapping around in the bass 🙂 Was much better with plugs taking the edge off.

My old man is miserable with tinnitus at 68 now (work rather than gigs…) It’s hard to appreciate how bad an effect tinnitus can have until you see it happening to someone.
    Very hard to ‘fix’.

spekkie
    Free Member

Been to a few loud gigs over the years. AC/DC and Iron Maiden are always pretty loud, Nickelback were seriously loud, but overall, Motorhead took the cake.

jam-bo

1000x less noise reaching your ears and it still sounds alright. Maybe they should just turn it down a bit… 😉

swavis

Yep earplugs now for me too.

The Monday morning after the Orkney Rock festival this year it was so bad that eating my toast at breakfast was bloody LOUD!!!! 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

tinnitus that you get after clubs is a sign of damage – you will end up like my wife with noise damage deafness and permanent tinnitus

You’ve met my wife then.

20yrs clubbing near bass bins has taken its toll.

We’re not far off lip reading and sign language.. certainly heading that way.😳👽

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Judas Priest @ Donny for me – my god that made me lugholes hurt!

mark d
    Free Member

Dinosaur Jnr at Sub89 Reading a few years ago, loudest gig I’ve ever been to, last year though they were definitely quieter in same venue, to my ears anyway…

gibby

Sunn O))) have been compared to a jumbo jet on full throttle. Saw them at Islington mill in Salford a tiny venue with low ceilings. They were giving out earplugs on the door. Cracking gig though.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Motorhead, Hammersmith Odeon, 1982. I was in the second row and as soon as they came on we jumped over the seats and were leaning up against the stage, so close that it felt like your eyebrows were being singed when the smoke bombs went off.

sadexpunk

had a few that were so loud it hurt, bobbie gillespie responsible for a couple…..

firstly jesus and mary chain back in the day, maybe not the loudest but the feedback made me cover my ears with my hands in places.
    then few years later primal scream during the xtrmntr tour, manis bass was making my insides vibrate.

vongassit
    Free Member

Daft Punk live 2007 , like being in a giant MRI scanner & quite excellent. Goodbye hearing, hello tinnitus.

Edukator
    Free Member

Slade in 72 were the loudest by quite a margin. I rolled up bits of tissue and stuffed them as far into my ears as they’d go. Louder than a cranked Fender Bassbreaker 45 head through a 4×12 cab in my living room.

These days I use -20bd plugs whether spectating or on stage. I detest high stage volumes, a heavy handed drummer I can just about live with but one guitarist I’ve palyed with seems to think his Vox only sounds any good with the master at 10 on a tiny stage when I’m trying to sing in tune and unable to hear the monitor bins.

Edit: For those thinking it’s loud up against the stage, that’s the quiet bit unlees the band are relying on their own kit for the whole hall. Most places have a PA system and the musicians keep the stage volume down. Those stacks behind the musicians are often empty, they’ll be one cab for each of the instruments and some monitors for the singers so everyone can hear themselves and a mic’ed up cabs somewhere that might not even be on the stage but around the back somewhere the tech bods can get the sound of each guitar the way they want it. When I use a modelling guitar amp I use the XLR to plug straight into the PA and use one of the cab models in the amp to simulate the colour the speaker gives the sound

Edukator
    Free Member

Edit no longer times out so long as you start before 15 mins, good. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Easily loudest for me was Death Grips couple of years ago. It caused physical pain. I lasted 30 mins then said (well, I gestured) to my mate I was going to have to move to the back. Just as I did, they finished anyway. Intense.

scratch
    Free Member

Yeah, saw Death Grips at Colston Hall a few years ago, loud, and there was no f’ing way i was getting involved in that pit, they played with the lights up for the duration.

MBV are meant to be incredibly loud, I’ve never seen them though and have probably missed my chance.

scratch
    Free Member

Also, is it an unwritten rule that all support have to play at 7/8, then the headline always play at 11?

DezB
    Free Member

Just very rare that the support get a decent enough soundcheck to play at decent volume

binners

then few years later primal scream during the xtrmntr tour, manis bass was making my insides vibrate.

Was that at the Ritz in Manchester by any chance, sadexpunk? I was at that gig and it was without doubt the loudest I’ve ever been too. It was like being assaulted by a wall of noise! I couldn’t hear properly for days.

Another one was Massive Attack Mezzanine tour at the Apollo. Not just for the volume, but the low rumbling bass. It was absolutely riduculous! you could feel your ribcage vibrating. Quite a lot of people passed out because of it. Apparently it can interfere with your heartrate when its that deep.

Cougar

No personal experience, but I had these recommended by a reliable source.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077MKWRJT/

johnners
    Free Member

Mogwai at SWG3 destroyed mine

Mogwai at the Colston Hall earlier this year was one of the loudest I’ve been to for a while, and I’d forgotten my earplugs. Lots of shouting in the car on the way home.

slowoldman

Pink Floyd 1971 Sheffield City Hall. 4 rows back. My ears felt like fluid was running out of them.

kayak23

Clinging to the bottom of the mic stands at a couple of Fugazi shows hasn’t done me lug ‘oles much good 😲

sadexpunk

Was that at the Ritz in Manchester by any chance, sadexpunk?

no mate, rock city nottingham. probably the same tour tho.

Another one was Massive Attack Mezzanine tour at the Apollo. Not just for the volume, but the low rumbling bass. It was absolutely riduculous! you could feel your ribcage vibrating. Quite a lot of people passed out because of it. Apparently it can interfere with your heartrate when its that deep.

i can well imagine that!

binners

It was the XTRMNTR tour mate, so definitely the same one. Nice to see they went with the same wall of noise aproach everywhere. The Manchester gig was the last night of the tour – Mani’s homecoming. Absolutely bloody brilliant gig, but my god it was ludicrously loud!

With the Massive Attack gig,imagine listening to this with volume and the bass on an enormous sound system all turned up to eleven. I looked at my wife and said “are you ok?” just as her eyes rolled up and she blacked out. Another girl passed out just by the side of us. It was mental! This is the track that did it. It was actually painful!

derek_starship
    Free Member

“Disaster Area was a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones and was generally regarded as not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but also as being the loudest noise of any kind at all. Regular concert goers judged that the best sound balance was usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles away from the stage, whilst the musicians themselves played their instruments by remote control from within a heavily insulated spaceship which stayed in orbit around the planet – or more frequently around a completely different planet.

“Their songs are on the whole very simple and mostly follow the familiar theme of boy-being meets girl-being beneath silvery moon, which then explodes for no adequately explored reason.

“Many worlds have now banned their act altogether, sometimes for artistic reasons, but most commonly because the band’s public address system contravenes local strategic arms limitations treaties.”

binners

We’re just heading out to a Thea Gilmore gig tonight. I doubt earplugs will be required. Middle age does have its advantages. We’re even going for a pre-gig meal as opposed to the usual kebab at Hunters. Have a good night you lot! 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

MBV are meant to be incredibly loud,

Saw them BITD and at London and Manchster on their comeback tour 10 years ago, they’d got much louder in the intervening years. My ears are still ringing from the Mcr gig now.

Went to far too many loud gigs and clubs in the past, really wish I’d tried earplugs but never got round to it. Gigs tended to be the worst offenders, IMO, maybe ‘cos you didn’t have the same macho aspect of moar loudness=better at clubs?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘When a gig is really loud!’ is closed to new replies.