• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jae.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wheels for Whistler q ?
  • loughor
    Free Member

Booked, (for the first time) for Whistler in May. What is more fragile, or liable to bust, hubs or rims ?

I have the options of, on my 09 EX8, from my existing set ups :
    DT Swiss 240S hubs on (old but strong) Alex Rims ATA rims, or,
    Mavic Crossmax SLR factory build..?

Experiences, thoughts, much appreciated.

Jon

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If your intending to ride the bike park it eats bikes in particular rims. However its hard to damage a hub if built on to a good strong rim by a decent builder.

Ive never seen so many dented rims as i did in two weeks as in whistler. Practically square DT FR2350's (the red cheese rims) and my mates Mavic 729 with 12 dinks in one rim (decent wheels build too!) I think only one or two out of ten of us got away without any.

Whistler eats bikes and people. I think the finally tally out of ten was one wrist, one collarbone, several ribs, one set of totems seal + cart x2, a snapped 888 steerer, several mechs, brakes, chains etc.

oldfart

Best i take it easy then i'm going for 5 MONTHS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ianpv
    Free Member

Strong heavy cheap rims. Then you won't cry when you break them! Plenty of shops in the village will rebuild a wheel in an hour when you (inevitably) kill one. Can't remember the rim count our group had there but it was at least three in five days (mind you two were 24" sun singletracks, so not the strongest rim out there).

Mind you, on an EX8 you won't be hitting things quite as hard/fast as you would on a DH bike… take the Alex rims and replace out there if they die, you'll only lose a couple of hours riding. I wouldn't risk the nice (expensive) factory wheelset. Personally I'd want a bigger, slacker bike for the park. And proper dual ply DH tyres and DH tubes are definitely needed.

gazc
    Free Member

from my experience there i'd take whatever you dont mind breaking and replacing (even more so if you're staying in the park or on freeride trails). as long as the wheel has either 32 or 36 j-bend spokes so you can use a standard rim and spokes you should be fine getting something built up if it does go pop…

oldfart

As i'm buying a Spicy with Deore hubs and Alex rims looks my initial thoughts won't be far out .Leave the wheels there when i come back just bring back the rest . 😀

BearBack
    Free Member

I'm guessing you're coming to pedal so you'll be just fine on your whatevever you bring.
    We've had a few folded Alex rims on cheap XC valley trail rental bikes in the past, but Alex, liek all brands have some cheap tat. Presumably though, you didn't lace Alex's cheap rims to a nice set of hubs 😉

Whistler does eat bike parts, but not so much with the XC riding. The bike park is a different beast.

Yes its technical xc riding but it wont take you long to figure out to ride over things as opposed to riding hard at them. You'll quickly work out good line choice and how to ride in a way that takes much less effort as if you don't, you'll give your body a hard time.

I'd also rather have DT hubs than Mavic any day.. seen too many dead mavic freehubs mid ride and thats no quick fix.

We have a high ratio of guests riding DH who have some sort of mechanical issue but a comparitively small number of XC guests needing to fix things.

If you are coming solely to ride the park.. leave the EX8 at home.

Whistler's valley bottom trails are starting to peak through the snow. Squamish's riding is superb right now and the loonie race season is nearly upon us!

Enjoy your trip!

Jonny @ Bear Back

loughor
    Free Member

Thanks to all, pretty much my thoughts exactly. Don't want to wreck the SLR, so either I'll pick up a cheap second hand set of wheels or go with the other pair.
    Again, thanks for the advice.

walleater

Aye, just some 721s or Singletracks and the like will be fine for non-park riding. I've had Singletracks for three years now, and while they are not exactly the blingiest ever, at least they far outlasted the DT Swiss Cheese rims that I came out with, and threw in a dumpster within a few months.

jae
    Free Member

go very tough expensive and reliable ex729 or tough enough and disposable d321 pretty much whats said above really.if you want stupid heavy and super tough halo combat double eyeletted but they will make your tyres suffer! and they are only as good as the wheel build /builder

jae
    Free Member

go very tough expensive and reliable ex729 or tough enough and disposable d321 pretty much whats said above really.if you want stupid heavy and super tough halo combat double eyeletted but they will make your tyres suffer! and they are only as good as the wheel build /builder

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Wheels for Whistler q ?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts