Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Wheeler Dealers (S14) minus Ed China has been dumbed 2 Trump levels of dumbness
  • dskelly81
    Free Member

Just watched a couple of episodes of the latest series & they have completely dumbed down the bits where the mechanic explains really basic, simple things to the point where even primary kids could get it. It’s now obvious why Ed China left the show now that the producers have geared it for dummies.

You would think that most folk with an interest in this show would already have a fairly decent grasp on the basic workings of motor cars & their components. They’ve made a great show distinctly average for me.

Thoughts?

tomhoward

Agree.

Not sure if the Ford designer was trolling them with that extra wing design for the cozzeh…

BadlyWiredDog

Hold out your hand and let’s have a deal…?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    robgclarkson
    Free Member

i don’t hate it, but it’s not prime wheeler dealers and hasn’t been since they moved to America…. but i understand why they did, especially California; plethora of old, rust free, cars.

dskelly81
    Free Member

I was able to put up with Mike Brewer’s Mockney Twattishness due to the content of the show & his towering fix-anything mechanic’s great abilities & presenting. The producers really need to take a good look at themselves

Harry_the_Spider

Meh. Ant Amstrad is better than that.

They should do a show where Edd and James May restore a Citroen DS. Slowly. Then keep it.

zilog6128

old out yer aaaaaaand

FTFY

finbar
    Free Member

Is the new series on Freeview somewhere?

tomhoward

Only just started on discovery proper, so might not be for a bit yet

Rockhopper
    Free Member

When they first started making the series they had just a couple of crew, by the time Ed left that had risen to over 35!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Erm…

Well eps 1 – Ant rebuilt a turbo, something most home mechanics won’t do, in fact most garages won’t do. Added a horrible 3rd wing to the Cosworth which involved a lot of fabrication that Edd would never have done (most he ever created was a few boxes as I recall) and more irritatingly, before EVERYONE could moan just how terrible an idea it was, rolled out the original designer of the car who said that’s how it would have been if he’d had his way.

Eps 2 – the Celica Supra, pretty weak episode for me, head gasket, exhaust and interior re-trim, but I’ve seen Edd episodes where they did less if we’re comparing, saying that head gasket isn’t an easy job.

Ep 3 – – Mustang, not the nicest era of ‘stang but the good ones are all mega money now, but a pretty decent slice of wheeler dealers for me, sort out the chassis not only restoring it, but improving it with thicker ARBs, better springs etc and restoring the power – two things that I would nit-pick about that, 1 the horrible way they talk about ponies escaping which irritates me and the way they did it – the engine is clearly worn, it’s 40ish bhp down, okay some of that could be down to worn ignition system and upgrading to a newer spec would fix that, but to go to the trouble and expense of ceramic headers and new exhaust and still be slightly down means they’ve missed an ‘simple’ fix – probably worn cams on an engine that old – but that’s TV I guess. In bike terms it’s like fixing a flexing rear end with a fancy new wheelset, rather than replacing the worn pivot bearings, but none of that matters it’s only TV and I don’t think it’s been ‘dumbed down’ it’s all standard wheeler dealers stuff.

For me, I like Ant, it was a shame Edd left, but that’s life and not Ant’s fault I like his enthusiasm and his style, some don’t but I do.

No, it’s not Ant’s fault it’s not perfect, like it was never Eds it’s Brewer, I have never, not once, ever ever ever, spoken to any one either online or in person who actually likes his bits, going way back to when they were doing up £500 Capris with rattle can sprayed wings, no one cares who he bought it from, how much of a wheeler dealer he is, how big his shoes are or how much he’s going to “bid ‘im” and yet year on year his part has grown, 5-6 years ago they included a bit with him going to a supplier to have a go at something – why? he had always been the worst part of it.

If anything has been dumbed down, it’s Mike’s bit – “towel management”? Really, give me strength.

Still, I’ve been watching it forever and probably still will do, but since the advent of Sky+ and now streaming, I rarely watch the bit when he buys it, and rarer still the bit he sells it.

P-Jay
    Free Member

In fact, I’d be happier if they sacked Mike, brought back Ed and let him work with Ant.

Ed “Hello, this week we’ve bought this slightly worn and tired Corvette, from someone, somewhere, for some money, who cares about the details”

Ant “its down on power, the seats are shagged and the exhaust it blowing”

Ed “Yep, So Ant’s going to rebuild the engine”

Ant “And Eds going to tack the suspension and brakes and a runner is going to take the seats to Sue to be recovered”

And at the end they spin it around for the camera, done.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was a big fan of Mike and Edd, the later series when they moved to the US I thought was a good move. Certainly plenty of variety of builds during those last couple of series.. some storming vehicles in there.
    But I’ve been watching the whole thing for yonks, Quest replay early series and I’m pretty much all Wheeler Dealered out ATM..

So the Edd vs Ant show.. well TBH I think the the show needed a revamp, Edda perfectly capable of doing something on his own and I’m not too sure why that hasn’t come off yet.. wasn’t too sure about the Vids he posted about getting his tools back and such but I guess he’s got a huge following and those folks like to know what’s going on..
    As for Ant, well I’m going to sit back and watch it. For me it’s more about the cars and how they approach the rebuilds than personalities. The Cossy was dull, butt they’re a couple of Essex boys and sure a Cosworth would appear at some point.. the Supra was Yuk (but they’ve done plenty of that sort of thing in the previous series) and the Mustang has to feature didn’t it..
    Mike, well take him of leave him but he does know his stuff so he slips into the background (not unlike his horrible shoes he wears)

So yeah, I’ll watch it.

Also Drew Pritchard of Salvage Hunters is doing a car rebuild show now too (on Quest) and I watched the first one last night.. I guess it’s got to build slowly but I wasn’t that enamoured TBH.

badnewz
    Free Member

As a wise man once said, no one ever lost money trying to lower the standard of popular culture.

servo
    Free Member

Why do they have the “fast and loud” type of intro where they show everything that’s going to happen in the episode? 👿

RustySpanner

Also Drew Pritchard of Salvage Hunters is doing a car rebuild show now too….

I’d pay to see him and Brewer in a show where they attempt to restore a starving pit bull to full health whilst trapped in a lift with it.

They both make my skin crawl.

RustySpanner

I’d pay to see him and Brewer in a show where they attempt to restore a starving pit bull to full health whilst trapped in a lift with it.

They both make my skin crawl.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok, think we got your feelings loud and clear 😆

badnewz
    Free Member

Pritchard is very arrogant.

RustySpanner

Pardon?
    🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

I was able to put up with Mike Brewer’s Mockney Twattishness due to the content of the show & his towering fix-anything mechanic’s great abilities & presenting. The producers really need to take a good look at themselves

[quote]I have never, not once, ever ever ever, spoken to any one either online or in person who actually likes his[ brewer] bits,[/quote]

He is annoying ed was very watchable and his bits interesting

Brewers were just mockneywideboy

jca

At least they now actually cost the workshop time into the total bill, so it’s actually realistic of the overall cost. Not many people have an Ant or Edd who will work for all hours yet somehow not seem to charge for it…

zilog6128

Not many people have an Ant or Edd who will work for all hours yet somehow not seem to charge for it…

that was the whole point of the show (originally) though wasn’t it, things you could do at home yourself!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think the main ethos was not to include the cost of labour, purely down to the fact they we’re trying to give an idea to the home mechanic that the stuff they do is do-able by the home style mechanic..
    They add the charge for labour now, but that’s only to give an idea of garage costs, should you want to go down that route…

fd3chris
    Free Member

I think I’ve watched all the old shows and I loved the American ones as I like old yanks. I liked Edd and Mike equally. I’ve never understood the hatred for Mike.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve always quite liked Wheeler Dealers, and can even tolerate Mike, but give me Gas Monkey Garage any day 😈 although I’m not tempted to watch it any more, now Aaron has left.

Klunk
    Free Member

so that’ll be profit = sale price – purchase price 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

He made £6.5k on two cars he did up on yesterday’s show. A Mk1 Golf GTI and an Elan +2

white101

I taped that Drew Pritchard thing I will have a look.

What did anybody make of this Goblin Garage Workshop thingy? I watched some of it the other night and was bored pretty quick. Just a bit false

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If you look closely, at least on the earlier shows there is lots of work done to the cars that’s not mentioned in the show and hence not accounted for in the pricing. Also, again at least in the earlier shows, the prospective buyers are all crew members or friends of crew members.
    At the end of the days it’s a TV entertainment show, not reality.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Wheeler Dealers (S14) minus Ed China has been dumbed 2 Trump levels of dumbness’ is closed to new replies.