Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Wheelbulding – budget (ish) 29er rims
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’ve a pair of hope pro 2 hubs kicking about and fancy having a go at building a new set of wheels for my 29er. A baby onthe way means I can’t stretch to Stans rims and anyway I’d prefer not to spend too much in case I make a arse of it!

I’m not bothered about super light weight but would prefer overall rim weight to be around 500 – 550 grams or so. A rim that’s easy to set up tubeless would be a bonus.

So far i’ve looked at the WTB i19 (seems a bit narrow) and the i23 and the Sun Ringle Inferno rims, which seem to have a few options in terms of weight, width and price on CRC. Can anyone recommend any others I should be looking at? Not keen on paying more than £40 per rim.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

got a baby on the way and risking building your own wheels – brave…

kevj
    Free Member

I have a Mavic 29er rim in the shed you can have for postage.

It’s new (as in never been built up) but has some marks from where it has hung on various nails over the years 😳

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

kevj – cheers for the generous offer but my inner bike tart would prefer a pair.

Gee76
    Free Member

I’m reading with interest and fancied a go at the same albeit for a set of commuting wheels to squeeze into my456. Might b bit cheeky but may be I interested in putting that rim to good use kevj. I’ll drop you a mail if its ok?

Andy-R

Sun Ringle EQ27? I have them on three bikes and really like them. Run well tubeless, either ghetto or tape method.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’m running halo freedom discs,

bit heavier than what your after, but solid and wide. tubeless wasn’t a problem.

They work out cheap too.

KZP894
    Free Member

I went for DT Swiss X470 which seem good for the price. Started building my own wheels in the last few year, great fun highly recommended pastime. Not quite sure why it would be risky or cause any issue with babies….

Cheezpleez

What about Superstar Sentinels? Good width, good weight, bang on budget and tubeless ready. I’ve not used them, mind, or even seen them in the flesh, so they may be cack.

Cheezpleez

Oh and I picked up a WTB Lazerdisc 29 for no money on CRC a couple of months back and was quite impressed. Good quality, nice to build and rode well despite being a bit weighty.

swavis

shortbread, I built a pair of Hopes into some cheapo WTB speediscs from CRC for the Gryphon and I’m not dead yet 😉

How about these?

Bazz

I also went for DT Swiss X470, pretty good for the money and have held up well so far.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not quite sure why it would be risky or cause any issue with babies….

just effectively bumping the thread…

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Ditto on the WTB Laserdiscs built up really nicely, cant fault the quality not the lightest rims in the world but you know the old saying:

Cheap
    Strong
    Light

Pick two.

tang
    Free Member

Got a pair of dt x470 and new stans rim strips to sell. They have been on my xc bike so proper jay core, no dings. Couple of very minor scratches. Got given some crests. Oh and get your dt spokes cheap cheap from rosebikes.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Cheers all for your suggestions. tang – what sort of price are you thinking (I have rim strips already). The rims seem quite narrow – internal width 18mm from a quick google.

KZP894
    Free Member

Tang, how much do you want for the stans rim strips?

takisawa2

Mavic TN319’s build in to a cracking wheel. Looking at about £28ea. Think they are about 520g. TN719 are nice but having built both I’d not pay the extra £20 per rim.

shortbread_fanylion…what model rim is your spare Mavic ?

tang
    Free Member

40 for the rims and 20 for the strips(still packaged). Mail in profile. Can sort some pics tomorrow afternoon.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Ok – I’d be keen to see pics of the rims. Will look into them a bit more.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Wheelbulding – budget (ish) 29er rims’ is closed to new replies.