Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Wheelbuilding issue; supplied nipples are longer than expected…
  • househusband

Ordered enough DT Swiss spokes for two wheels from a seller on eBay; I’d done all my spoke lengths on the DT Swiss calculator using 12mm nipples. The spokes have arrived with 14mm nipples; I note that the seller does not actually specify a length for the supplied (pretty sure they’re not DT Swiss) nipples.

Haven’t built any wheels in a while and have always got the nipple and spoke length bang on in an almost OCD manner.

Is this liable to give me grief?

nemesis
    Free Member

If the spokes are exactly the right length, you’ll *probably* be ok I’d lace one up to see – you’ll have a fairly good idea then.

househusband

Just tried threading one of the supplied (really cheap feeling) nipples and end of the spoke doesn’t thread as far into the head of the nipple as a spare DT Swiss brass one… doesn’t give me much room for tensioning…

Perhaps a lesson learned on buying cheap spokes! Think I’ll just bite the bullet and get genuine DT Swiss brass nipples.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I reckon you’ll be OK.

andyl
    Free Member

Nipples can’t be that expensive can they? I’d buy decent ones.

benpinnick

If its not a dtswiss nipple, then chances are its a 12mm thread with 2mm at the hub end thats ‘blank’. If it is a DT swiss nipple then it will be threaded the full 14mm, hence why with DTs you lose the extra mm from your calcs. However, if the nipple doesnt go all the way down the thread and lock up, then you’re fine. The amount the spoke will be into the head will be the same either way.

hopkinsgm

Assuming the nipples are threaded the full way, the unthreaded bit of the spoke will trash the thread in the nipple.

househusband

Thanks, all – bought some DT Swiss brass ones for a tenner on eBay.

I like the whole process of making my own wheels and like everything to be ‘right’ – call me old-fashioned! I find it an immensely satisfying process.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Your nipples are too long? Must be the constant tweaking you do.

househusband

Your nipples are too long? Must be the constant tweaking you do.

Never at work, mind.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Wheelbuilding issue; supplied nipples are longer than expected…’ is closed to new replies.