Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Wheelbuilders / bodgers help – broken flange
  • aracer
    Free Member

Have you got a contact there I could try – the response I got back was that they didn’t do 14g – I tried mentioning that you’d put me on to them and you got bike spokes from them (sorry!) but it didn’t help. Though I did notice http://www.centralwirecomponents.co.uk/ where they say they can do 2mm threaded rods up to 1500mm long. Always assuming they didn’t just decide they weren’t interested in just making one spoke and fobbing me off…

aracer
    Free Member

So is there anything special about the wire used to make spokes? Found http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-STEEL-ROUND-BAR-ROD-2mm-DIA-900mm-LONG-/390412311859 – all I’d then need to find is somebody who can roll threads (I’m assuming cutting to length isn’t a problem, and that making the bends might be tricky, but not too difficult). Anything wrong with that plan?

Do you know anybody local who can roll threads, Stoner?

bencooper
    Free Member

I just ordered another 500 14G spokes from Central Wheel – they’re always a bit, well, “random” on the phone 😉

Spoke steel is not standard stainless – you might find that too brittle.

You could also try Dylan at yourspokes.co.uk – I think he mostly cuts down spokes on a Phil Wood machine, but he might have some ideas.

njee20
    Free Member

all I’d then need to find is somebody who can roll threads

I’d try your LBS – we have a tool for rolling threads on spokes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

There is a laser cutter place near me that will do a one off piece
    never used them but no folk who have for random bits

Happy to use them and then post to you if any use
    E-mail in profile etc

aracer
    Free Member

I just ordered another 500 14G spokes from Central Wheel – they’re always a bit, well, “random” on the phone

Is e-mail likely to be any better?

Spoke steel is not standard stainless

That’s what I was afraid of.

Sancho
    Free Member

could you not just weld a spoke to the other spokes where they cross?

nickc

Out of interest, how many spokes on that? ( normally, I mean?)

aracer
    Free Member

Oh, and thanks for all the help, nickjb (and others) on the custom flange. I’ve not ruled that out as in a way it looks an excellent solution taking the stress on the new plate rather than the existing flange. Just that if I can get a custom double ended spoke made it’s a mush easier fix – I don’t even need to rebuild the rest of the wheel (though I’ve already dropped the tension a bit). I’ve got no recent CAD experience (the last time I used it was I think autocad on a 286!), but I’m sure I could manage to work it out. In order to keep the correct spoke pattern I think I’d have to have both sets of holes one above the other rather than offset as you show (which should also keep much the same spoke length).

aracer
    Free Member

36 spokes normally – 35 at the moment 😉

nickc

You could even it out and lace it 32 3 cross . It would be plenty strong enough* but on reflection, which holes would you leave and you’d end up with at least 3 spoke lengths and it would look weird, and would probably stress it a bit much…. Bodge too far…?

* I’ve no idea how much you weigh, how much stick your giving the wheel…

I’d be leaving it, once it settles down probably won’t make masses of difference

GeForceJunky

What about a little bracket off the nearby bolts like this:

epicyclo

nickjb – Member
    This is the sort of thing I was thinking:

That’s more or less what I was suggesting, just a DIY man in a shed with hand tools effort. You can do it yourself with a flat piece of stainless.

Start by scribing a circle the same as the PCD of your existing hub, and another for the new spoke holes. DIvide the circle up into 10º segments and punch mark where you want the holes. Then cut the steel. That’s the laborious bit – I’d probably use a cutting wheel to rough it out. Then a few hours with a smaller grinder and files and you have the shape right. No point drilling the holes before this in case you scrap the steel. Don’t forget to countersink the new spoke holes.

You’ll have to bed it into the existing hub because there’s probably an angle there. Epoxy and a suitable filler will do that job.

If an old disk was the right diameter, that may save some time, but more likely it will have pre-existing slots etc that interfere with your drillings.

aracer
    Free Member

DIvide the circle up into 10º segments

It’s not a 72 spoke wheel 😉

f an old disk was the right diameter, that may save some time

I have an unused 140 I think – but even that will be too big even for this large flange hub (shd 92mm).

epicyclo

I was intending that the new spokes be between the old holes – should have been clearer.

Edit:

GeForce Junky – Member
    What about a little bracket off the nearby bolts like this:

Actually that looks like an even better idea.

aracer
    Free Member

I was intending that the new spokes be between the old holes

Ah – but as I commented above, the new spoke holes need to be above the existing ones (unless I make a flange for both sides) so that the pattern is right.

Junkyard
    Free Member

That is what al said pages ago

nickjb
    Free Member

unless I make a flange for both sides

That’s what I was thinking. Two won’t be much more expensive than one.

Better if you are hand fettling, but not if you are going for a laser cut. For £20 is it really worth spending a few hours with a file 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Better if you are hand fettling, but not if you are going for a laser cut. For £20 is it really worth spending a few hours with a file

I agree – if I really can get one (or two) for £20 then that’s a lot better than putting off making one myself for ages. I was originally thinking bodge (and actually coming round to al’s idea – that would work with a bit of care), but either the new flange or the double ended spoke are a lot more elegant – currently still pursuing the latter.

I love how useful STW is for stuff like this – would never have come up with some of those ideas myself – thanks chaps.

epicyclo

Junkyard – Member
    …if you are hand fettling, but not if you are going for a laser cut. For £20 is it really worth spending a few hours with a file

Well the hand fettling job could be over and done with tonight, and obviously the laser cut job would look neater, but where’s the fun in that? 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

Well the hand fettling job could be over and done with tonight

if I had the right metal I’d be on it already, at least as an interim fix

aracer
    Free Member

I just ordered another 500 14G spokes from Central Wheel

Is there more than one “Central Wheel” in Birmingham, ben? I just had an email back from Central Wheel Components Ltd which said:

nobody has ordered a “load” of 14 Gauge spokes from CWC in eons

The place I tried is http://www.central-wheel.co.uk/ – is there some other company who does spokes I’m missing?

aracer
    Free Member

<bangs head against wall>

I can’t believe I didn’t try the obvious place earlier – it looks an awful lot like they’ll be able to supply exactly what I need, and won’t have an issue with selling me just one spoke (I’ve spent plenty of money there already!) I shall phone Roger tomorrow.

http://www.unicycle.uk.com/unicycle-parts/spokes/penny-farthing-spoke-blanks.html
    http://www.unicycle.uk.com/spoke-cutting-and-threading-service.html

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Wheelbuilders / bodgers help – broken flange’ is closed to new replies.