Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Wheel sets – what to go for?
  • Country_Gent
    Free Member

Right, am after a bit of feedback/suggestions.

The wheelset on my hardtail has finally given up the ghost (Mavic XM317 rims on Deore hubs) – cup & cone set up has been re-built one too many times and the races etc are all pitted.

Bike is mostly used for XC/trail centre. I'm 15st and I want to run 2.35" Maxxis tyres so don't want anything too light-weight.

Was looking at a set of Hope Pro2SP with DT Swiss XR400 rims.

Has anyone got any experience of running something like the Easton or Fulcrum wheel sets? Also, anything else I should be looking at?

Budget is circa £350 for the set.

TooTall
    Free Member

The default answer would probably be 'Hope Hoops' – less than your budget and, if you believe the believers, more awesome and solid than Thor's hammer.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

I'd Hope Hoop (on Pro 2s) it without question – a few rim choices (xc717, stans 355 and some others), finished by hand and stupidly good VFM compared to buying each part on it's own.

Got an xc717 rear and looking to get the same for the front (or might go for a 355) and so far so very good.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    joolsburger
    Free Member

I'd buy some hope hoops from here

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/

Roger is widely regarded as the best wheelbuilder in the country and having him inspect and tighten them will prove valuable in the long run.

The wheels I got off him have lasted years without a true I can't sing his praises highly enough, a proper artisan.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, Hope Hoops on your choice of rim are stonking value, unless you're looking for something wildly different you'll struggle to better them IMO.

WheelPro looks like a decent place to buy them, says all you need to know about rim choice too frankly.

Country_Gent
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips so far. Definately can't see too much point in looking elsewhere at the moment.

Interesting that the guy at WheelPro only recommends the Stans rims. I did like the look of the Flow.

I had heard that Merlin were supposed to be pretty good wheel builders too.

LordFelchamtheIII
    Free Member

If you want 'different' rims/hubs, build your own. You won't save that much money, if anything, but you will have a wheel better than anything a shop/machine (with the exception of WheelPro Hoops) can produce and the satisfaction you have built it yourself. I've just built a set of Mavic EX729 on Hope Pro II's with DT DB spokes. The tensions in my 'other' self built set are still the same after 6 months.

I wouldn't bother with the Straight Pull Pro II, stick to the plain and simple Pro II's

mboy
    Free Member

At 15stone on a hardtail, and wanting to run 2.35" tyres, I'd be wary of going for a rim that's too narrow or lightweight.

Hope Hoops would be a very good place to put your money, probably go for the Stans Flows to be honest. 355's are great rims, but I'm 12 stone and whilst I'm putting a set on my XC hardtail, I'd not put them on anything I was going to go jump off things or crash into the terrain.

Country_Gent
    Free Member

Thanks mboy. I did wonder if the 355s might be a bit on the thin side. That's exactly the reason why I shyed away from Mavic XC717 rims. I'm not using the bike as a dedicated jump bike but that's not to say the wheels don't ever leave the ground!

cynic-al
    Free Member

you will have a wheel better than anything a shop/machine (with the exception of WheelPro Hoops) can produce

Any first time wheel builder can do a better job than a shop mechganic? 🙄

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member
    you will have a wheel better than anything a shop/machine (with the exception of WheelPro Hoops) can produce
    Any first time wheel builder can do a better job than a shop mechganic?

I built my own set of wheels without a problem first time. I don't think I did as good a job as a pro would, but I learnt something, and it cost me about the same as it would if I bought them from elsewhere. I suppose it boils down to if you enjoy making stuff and fettling (like me) or you simply like riding your bike.

cynic-al
    Free Member

fair enough!

neninja
    Free Member

So far my Stans ZTR Olympic rims have been superb and no sign of them being fragile – although I have only used them for XC and trail centre red/black.

When I eventually need to replace them I will be getting another set based on Stans rims.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

another vote for hope hoops from wheelpro (although his website says non in-stock until end of May)

Hynam
    Free Member

Another shout for hope hoops! The build quality is second to none, with the price of the components too you'll be hard pushed to get a better deal

njee20
    Free Member

Going OT… Cynic-Al, have you seen the article on the ZTR Road rims on BikeRadar, look very nice.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Wheel sets – what to go for?’ is closed to new replies.