Wheel rim re-chroming

Home Forum Bike Forum Wheel rim re-chroming

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wheel rim re-chroming
  • Rockhopper

Anyone had one done? I just need a rough idea of how much it might cost and how bad the rim has to be before it can’t be saved! I’m restoring an old bike, the brakes have worn a fair bit of chrome off the face of the rims.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

PeterPoddy started a similar thread last week – quick search might be enlightening.

Rockhopper

Cheers, interesting thread but he’s really looking for a new rim. I think my rims might be just as difficult to replace as they are 1.5″ wide!!

thepodge

re chrome is very difficult but if you Google parkside metal finishers OL14 they should be able to give you a good idea

Premier Icon bedmaker
    Subscriber

Some weird and wonderful ones here including chrome. Maybe something suitable

coatesy

A classic car mag’ such as Practical Classics may yield a few useful companies too.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

What sort of rims? Westwood?

hopster

S and t in Yate will do it for you. They quoted me about £60 But it does depend on the damage to the rim. They chromed a set of chater lea cranks for me.

I’ll see if I can post some links to the work they did.

Rockhopper

Was that £60 each or for the pair? I’d like to keep the bike as original as possible hence re chroming rather than replacing.

Yes i think they are Westwood or the other similar name which escapes me right now!
    The chrome has completely worn away from one half of the rear rim but as a whole its all fairly smooth. I still need to strip the black paint of the front rim but feels like is badly corroded under the paint.

hopster

Each. But it does depend on how much prep needs to be done to the rims before chroming.

Here’s some before and after pics.

P1020101 by hopster007, on Flickr

Finished Fixed Wheel 012 by hopster007, on Flickr

http://chromebysandt.com/

Rockhopper

Thats very nice!

Trouble is now that £120 just on the wheels is a fair percentage of what the bikes worth…….

hopster

The price was just for the crank arms as well not the chainring which I managed to polish myself. I found they were the cheapest in the Bristol area and they have an excellent reputation.

£60 per wheel is a very rough guide. S and T would need to see the rims before they would offer you a price for the work.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wheel rim re-chroming’ is closed to new replies.