Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Wheel kaput?
  • john_l
    Free Member

Crashed pretty heavily on my front wheel at Sunday’s cx race – rim is a v light aluminimum BOR29.

Have tried truing it, backing all the tension off, bringing it back up etc but cannot get it laterally or vertically true without a pretty hefty imbalance in spoke tension, which I cant see staying tight for long.

Rim borked?

wwaswas

I’ve found warped rims don’t true up John – if it’s really wobbly with no tension in the spokes you’ll need wildly imbalanced spoke tension to keep it true etc and then, as you say, it’s not a strong wheel build.

trail_rat
    Free Member

when rim is buckled badly and sharply needing lots of uneven tension to pull back in i find opening a work shop drawer just enough to fit the rim in and leaning on the bent bit to bring it back true prior to tensioning to be effective.

obviously the ideal is a new rim but its got me out of a few sticky spots with people needing bikes yesterday.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What TR said.

leffeboy

If you’ve already accepted that it’s borked then sometimes you can get it back by whacking it hard on the ground ‘sideways’ with the tyre on in an attempt to bend it back.  It’s recovered a couple of wheels for me enough to keep on using them but they are never perfect again really.  Just a more brutal version of the TR method

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Wheel kaput?’ is closed to new replies.