Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Wheel dilemma
  • tonyd

Evening all.

My dilemma is a nice one to have, but a dilemma none the less so I’m looking for some STW wisdom please….

Just picked up new to me frame, ASR5, very nice too. It has 9mm QR dropouts. The fork I have to go on it also has 9mm QR dropouts. I have two wheelsets:

2009ish Mavic 819s on Hope Pro 2s. Currently set up 15mm QR front and 12mm maxle rear

2008ish Mavic Crossmax SLR. Both ends 9mm QR, front easily converted if/when a fork upgrade comes along. However the rear cannot be converted to 12mm.

So which to use?! Ideally I’d use the SLRs, but I’d also like to upgrade the rear end to 12mm. Front end can manage either way so I think the choice I need to make is use the SLRs and stick with 9mm on the rear, or use the 819s and upgrade the rear to 12mm.

(I realise I’ll need adapters for the 819s front and rear to get them to 9mm).

Thank you!

STATO
    Free Member

Ignoring the fact your rear wheels are actually 10mm, and that the QR are 5mm (you need to be careful these days with the 9/10mm qr-bolt through types now available) id suggest you sell both.

819 are good strong rims, but heavy compared to what you can buy today.
    Crossmax, as you say, not future proof.

You say you like the SLR, buy a newer set, personally id go for for somesthing more flexible, like hope on a nice modern rim, something wide and light, either arch EX or chinese carbon.

tonyd

Interesting, thanks. It hadn’t really occurred to me to sell both and buy a new set as money is tight. However since I’m breaking two bikes down into one perhaps I can justify it at some point.

tonyd

Bump for the morning crowd. Thoughts folks?

If I sell both sets of wheels and buy new, along with a fork upgrade at some point, I may as well have just bought a 650b new bike!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Wheel dilemma’ is closed to new replies.