Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Wheel choice, help me decide
  • windyg
    Free Member

Looking for a spare set of XC wheels but i can’t decide which set to go for from these 2, the tyres on the Mavic’s will just be sold so this would bring the price about the same or close enough.

Mavic Crossmax SL Pro

Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro

windyg
    Free Member

Nobody?

benpinnick

For the money the weight on both is good… however, the Suns will break their spokes and spare parts are nigh on impossible (the bearings aren’t all that much cop either), while the mavics will probably eat their bearings but you can get spares. If it was my money… the mavics… or even better these:

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/dt-swiss-xr-1501-spline-one-disc-mtb-wheels-275

Slightly bigger internal width as the mavic, same weight, easy to source spares and reliable as they come (At that price they are proper bargain territory, even if you need a new freehub).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    windyg
    Free Member

I had thought exactly the same thing about the Sun Ringles as I knew they had issues a few years back.
    I hadn’t considered the splines didn’t realise they were that cheap, food for thought, virtually flip a coin territory 🙂 thank you.

benpinnick

Depends if you want a workhorse wheel that will just keep going, or something a bit fancier but will need some TLC over the years. The splines (that series) run a non-standard hub body, but its reliable enough, we sold loads and never had one back, otherwise standard 240 internals, easy enough to source spokes and nipples, standard size bearings you can buy for a fiver, and a rim thats readily replaceable if all goes wrong, and that discount is legit. I think the RRP was something like £800, and that was probably not an unreasonable price…

windyg
    Free Member

I have Hope/Crest on my XC race bike but looking for another set for my general/wet/muddy use XC bike currently has DT Swiss MA1.7 which are a bit heavy, not very stiff and just slow.

rhayter

DT Swiss Spline.

windyg
    Free Member

rhayter –
    DT Swiss Spline.

Any particular reason why?

zippykona

With the DT ,how easy is it to fit an xd free hub?
    Do the rims go up tubeless as easily as Stan’s, will the hubs last as long as Hope?

wrecker
    Free Member

With the DT ,how easy is it to fit an xd free hub?

Piece of piss. The DT 240 hubs (as in the 1501 wheel set) are fantastic.

Do the rims go up tubeless as easily as Stan’s, will the hubs last as long as Hope?

Yes, and longer. The ratchet mechanism is a delight to use and service.

zippykona

One last question ..is it a noisy free hub.
    Noisy is good.
    Edit. Is this what I need for the wheels?
    https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/dt-swiss-xd-freewheel-body/aid:797220?channable=e8467.Nzk3MjIw&gclid=CInwj4jE69QCFUE8GwodqZcFXw

zippykona

Wheels ordered.
    A very timely thread. Hope I’ve ordered the right bits.

benpinnick

Yes that’s the right bit. Just pull the other one off the wheel and replace with the XD. It will be stiff but it will pull off. Remember to reseat the springs and ratchets in order (spring- ratchet -ratchet- spring) and push back together. You should be able to sell the shimano freehub for a good portion of what you paid for the xd as they are much rarer.

wrecker
    Free Member

They aren’t noisy. Sorry.

plus-one

I’m running a set of those mavics on my iroko .. Very impressed 8)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Wheel choice, help me decide’ is closed to new replies.