wheel building – spoke tension on ZTRs

Home Forum Bike Forum wheel building – spoke tension on ZTRs

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • wheel building – spoke tension on ZTRs
  • Premier Icon MadBillMcMad
    Subscriber

Quite chuffed, At the w/e built up a new wheel with a ZTR 355 & also managed to inflate my first tubeless tyre & 24 hours it is still fully pressurised.

Back to the question of spoke tension. When I have trued up wheels before I have always just got the tension so there is the minimum of flex in the spokes.

Stan’s say 95kgF but what does that look/feel like. Slightly concerned that I may have done them up too tight.

Premier Icon MadBillMcMad
    Subscriber

lunchtime butty bump

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I used a spoke tension gauge when building my Arch Ex wheels and needed to apply much more tension than I’d expected by “feel” alone.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

You’ll know when a Stans is too tight as it pringles like crazy, especially the 355. One of mind went wild on the jig before I even rode it. If you think they are too tight, they might well be! Give it a ride and see what happens.

Subscriber

truth will be in the riding – off up to do Cut gate tomorrow night – that should test it.

I did a 10 minute play last night & all appeared OK.
    Might do another quick spin tonight.

Stevelol

Cut Gate will probably be a bit of a mudfest after todays downpours 😀

Subscriber

mud = fun & a pleasant change to riding on ball bearings

Though I suspect it will be dry as a bone with the odd muddy whole just to catch you out

Sam

Squeeze opposing pairs of spokes as hard as you can by hand. If the wheel does not go out of true it’s not over tensioned. Chances are if this is your first wheel build tension is likely to be low rather than high. Pop by a friendly LBS and ask to use a tension gauge?

Subscriber

Cheers Sam – just done that in fact – & it got a clean bill of health

Then just taken up’n’down a long flight of woooden steps 6 times – still true.

Tonights ride will be the real test though.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘wheel building – spoke tension on ZTRs’ is closed to new replies.