Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Wheel building costs? £68 for spokes?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Just got a quote to build up a set of Hope Pro 3 hubs onto some Mavic touring rims.

Shop quoted £68 for DT DB silver spokes with brass nipples. £35 for building.

I've had a lot of handbuilt wheels but never broken down the costs. I had no idea spokes were that price.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

yep, its about 70-90p a spoke. Are they straight pull hubs, might be even more expensive if so.

mudmonster
    Free Member

building a wheel for a friend now and he paid £15 for the 32 spokes. I thought that was a bit steep.

genesis
    Free Member

Yep, was mortified about the cost of spokes.

wwaswas

cheapest place for psokes currently seems to be CRC – they haven't (yet) passed on the dt swiss price rises.

ojom
    Free Member

Depends on the age of stock. We have mixed stock at various prices. It;s annoying.

cynic-al
    Free Member

BW used to charge 35p each for those, but they have gone up.

CRC charging £15 for 36 spokes.

BTW – 34 spoke wheels?

mboy
    Free Member

About £1.20 each at RRP these days…

Which considering the DT comp is the same product as it was about 10 years ago when I worked in the trade, and the RRP was about 35 pence each, I find quite insulting!

Still, it's the way of the world though these days…

And to be fair, most shops would charge you £35 for EACH wheel for a build… Though if they were doing that, they often heavily discount spokes in my experience. They have to make a living to get by on though, worth remembering…

Or of course get the likes of Merlin Cycles, or Chain Reaction to give you a quote… Both seem to build very good wheels, often selling them for less than the individual component costs of the parts that make up the wheel!

willsimmons
    Free Member

Spokes have gone up in price massively. You can thank the currencies as they are, nothing working for people buying stuff imported into Britain from Europe – as I'm sure you're aware. £68 sounds par for the course for 64/72 spokes.

Obviously you can find the odd deal on the internet on old stock.

I got charged £35 for building recently (I laced them, all they needed to do was tension and true) and neither wheel was dished correctly, should have just bought a stand and done it myself.

willsimmons
    Free Member

Too long typing my reply…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

These are ordinary spokes, nothing fancy, not staight pull types. 36h rear – 32h front.

Mister-P
    Free Member

RRP on DT Competitions in silver is 75p each.

In the last 10 years the price of almost everything has gone up MB. I renmember a packet of Polos being 10p.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Is there really any advantage of DB spokes over plain guage on a touring wheel?

STATO
    Free Member

You can pick up Sapim spokes (arguably just as good as DT) for a lot less, i just got 36 Sapim Race (DB) from SPA Cycles for £15.

edsbike
    Free Member

At least you don't want white spokes. DT Swiss DB are £2.50 each RRP!

cookeaa

Steel isn’t cheap stuff, Stainless even more so, CRCs – Plain Gauge and DB prices are about as cheap as you’re going to get spokes, as a customer, outside of the trade I’d have thought…

Everything else has gone up in price, why not spokes?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pete – the wheels I did for you OK?

PG may be a little stiffer but the idea is that DB "stretch" in the middle and so won't break at the elbow like PG.

Not sure if this stacks up in the real world.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Prices are **** nuts, steel IS cheap at the moment, stainless is a lot more pricey but even so, weight for weight it's insane. I recently bought a 500mm x 120mm cylinder of mild steel for something in work, £40. Obviously stainless is more, and to have it formed is more again, but stainless steel cutlery is significantly more massive and just as intricately formed, but you can buy sets for a tenner. Supply and demand is the only reasoning.

mustard
    Free Member

Try Hardies in Cairneyhill, Craig builds a good wheel and uses Sapin spokes.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Al, they've been really good. I'm going to take that bike to the US in Sept and do some bob trailer touring with them. Fitted with 35mm tyres I should be able to ride fire roads and stuff too.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Sounds like they're charging you their single spoke price. Which is normal in some shops, but does make their wheels very expensive compared to building using spokes you buy yourself in multi-packs.

Are they all a similar spoke length, so they can just use one box of spokes, or are there 2 different lengths?

Would they build up with spokes you provide – you could pick up the right length db stainless spokes (Sapim for sure, probably DT) for about £30 if you bought them yourself.

Joe

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

As STATO said – Sapim spokes from Spa Cycles

I got 70 Sapim Race DB in silver inc. brass nipples for £31 delivered.

ononeorange

If you're rebuilding a wheel of uncertain parentage (ie bought it second-hand) to put a new rim on it, is the collective view that you can re-use the spokes or is it a new set at each re-build (assuming they fit)?

wwaswas

reuse spokes is fine unless they're too marked from chain coming off cassette.

aracer
    Free Member

Everything else has gone up in price

Not by that much supposedly http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8467305.stm
    🙄

pitduck
    Free Member

my lbs (high peak cycles glossop) charged me £25 for build and spokes(pair) their robbing you 😯

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

So, the shop expects to take the spokes, then double that price to achieve an RRP for the spokes, then charge labour for the build on top of that as well…

I can imagine if my local garage tried to pull that off… wouldn't get a lot of business!

parts & labour plus vat, should be the same with bike shops!

Wiredchops
    Free Member

Aye,
    When I've built a wheel I generally get ACI DB spokes from cyclebasket.com.

Can't complain for 30p a spoke, although it's worth waiting till you need a fair amount as they charge a flat £6 for postage. Very cheap on a lot of good stuff though.

EDIT: or a box of 144 for £26.60! Wow.

Si C

cynic-al
    Free Member

ononeorange – Member
    If you're rebuilding a wheel of uncertain parentage (ie bought it second-hand) to put a new rim on it, is the collective view that you can re-use the spokes or is it a new set at each re-build (assuming they fit)?

Re-use is fine.

carlosg
    Free Member

last spokes I bought were £28 for a box of 100 sapim race db , from outspoken cycles but that was about 18 months ago. Looks like they only stock ACI spoke now http://www.outspokencycles.co.uk/wheelbuilding-accessories.html

ononeorange

Thanks

Mister-P
    Free Member

pitduck – Member
    my lbs (high peak cycles glossop) charged me £25 for build and spokes(pair) their robbing you

Someone is undervaluing their skills as a wheel builder there. That is a ridiculously low price.

sv
    HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i've been building the occsaional wheel with ACI spokes from cyclebasket for the last 10 years and never had a problem with them.

i had two wheels built by a bike shop in redhill for 60 quid including spokes but that was a few years back now.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i used this guide http://www.sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html and trued them using a zip tie on the stays!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If anybody anywhere near Farnborough, Hants, wants a wheel building, my price is £30 per wheel incl DT Swiss, SS, DB, black, spokes and standard brass nipples. (Supply your own hubs and rims)

There's a few of my wheels out there doing fine. My own personal pair have been tested in the Alps.

Email in profile.
    🙂

pitduck
    Free Member

sorry i were wrong, £25 per wheel 😳

mustard
    Free Member

did you get anywhere any cheaper? I'm going to need a pair building next month and don't have teh patience to do it myself yet!

nickc

I've moved over to Sapim on price, built my last set of 819s with them, they seem nice, I'll certainly use them again. But, agreed, spoke price is making me think twice about the point of building my own wheels now, I don't mind paying for quality parts, but when you can buy a built wheel on CRC for less than the parts, it's starts to make less sense.

foxyrider
    Free Member

34 spokes on a Pro III. BUt you may have to buy a pack of 72 🙁

Build price seems OK for the time put in.

Why don't you get some other hubs that arn't straight pull or use other straight pull spokes like above or ask Merlin to build tehm cheaper?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Wheel building costs? £68 for spokes?’ is closed to new replies.