Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Wheel builder in Fife?
  • TheFlyingOx

Due to impending new frame (and therefore new hub standards, obviously) I’m needing a rear wheel rebuilding from 142mm to 148mm. I’d prefer to go with the boost adapters and a re-dish rather than splashing out on a whole new hub. Is there anyone in particular that comes recommended in the Fife-ish area?

stevie750

If you get the kit with a washer on each side and a disc spacer then you won’t need to re-dish

TheFlyingOx

Are they the cheapo things I’ve seen on eBay? Wouldn’t a washer/spacer on each side affect the chain line?

DickBarton

If you need a wheel built, Ryan’s Bikes in Inverkeithing is apparently good.

Shackleton

Depending on the adaptor you may not need to redish. Even if you do it is about 0.25-0.5 turns of a spoke key. I did it myself, having never built a wheel, and it stayed true and lasted 2 years without another thought.

andrewh
    Free Member

STANDARD TO BOOST THRU AXLE HUB ADAPTERS
    I’ve been using the front version of this for ages and it’s been fine.

easdoesit
    Free Member

Hm interested. So the rear wheel doesn’t need a re-dish with that adapter?

Leslie bike shop??

TheFlyingOx

Cheers folks. I’ll give the adapter a try and see how I get on.

piemonster

If that doesnt work I’ll recommend Ryans Bikes in Inverkeithing, Ive some of his wheel builds and they are solid.

Admittedly, I am more XC than anything.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you get the bits to Edinburgh I’ll build for a nice red

TheFlyingOx

Cheers Al. I’ll keep that offer in my back pocket should the spacers not work too well on their own.

Nice red – you mean like Buckfast, right?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.