Wheel build in LBS…

Home Forum Bike Forum Wheel build in LBS…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Wheel build in LBS…
  • Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

About £4 for a spoke key 🙂

Premier Icon santacoops
    Subscriber

Hah, thats why i’m asking to be honest, can i be bothered, is it worth doing myself, shall i just chuck some cash the bike shop way?

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Are you tempted to try yourself? The wheel pro book is pretty good. With a bit of practice, I build better wheels than my lbs (I just take longer)

cynic-al

we charge £25.

Rorschach

£30 here

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

Well worth doing yourself. Every biker should build at lest one wheel. There’s a few good on-line guides. If you can’t get it right then take it to the LBS to finish off.

£30, but I’m thinking of putting the price up 🙂

Rorschach

If you can’t get it right then take it to the LBS to finish off. take it apart and start from scratch.

Premier Icon santacoops
    Subscriber

Its always been something i thought i should be doing, done a couple of builds and fixed lots but a wheel has always been a bit daunting.

**** it i’m going to take the plunge.

😀

crftom

As above £30 is a pretty standard rate

Wow, I did OK today then! New Crest rim, new DT Comp spokes, built for £102.

Premier Icon santacoops
    Subscriber

I have the bits and need to get it put together, how much should i be expecting to pay?

Premier Icon billyboy
    Subscriber

£25 to £40

Most folk are going to take an hour to do a decent job

b r

Wow, I did OK today then! New Crest rim, new DT Comp spokes, built for £102.

Front or Rear?

crftom

You paid the going rate approx £60 for the rim £30 for the built £12 for the spokes

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49052 £64.99

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12629 (black spokes, £26.99 + £64.99 = £91.98.

Plus they did the rim with Stans blue tape cos I is toobeless.

Couldn’t find a Crest rim for £60, although a brand new one went on fleabay last night from a private seller for about £46.

phatstanley

**** it i’m going to take the plunge.

if that ain’t hot air blowin’, good on ya man! 😀

easily the best feeling i’ve yet had as a biker who likes to work on his own bikes is riding wheels i’ve built.
    if you have basic competency with fettling, you can pick it up.
    it’s seen as some kind of mystic dark art, but it ain’t….
    i too recommend roger musson’s book (i.e wheelpro) online….

Premier Icon santacoops
    Subscriber

Thought i’d give an update and thanks for the support/info/egging on i got above. Finally got around to building the wheel myself today. Took me about an hour and a half and completely surprised myself. Seemed to work well on the trail this afternoon too!

Thanks again! 😀

Rorschach

Come back in a month ;0)

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

The man has a point but everyone has to start somewhere. Your first set only need to be good enough, no one would expect them to be perfect. However, retrue then a few times and they’ll get really good with practice.

Well done sir. You deserve to feel a bit chuffed with yourself.

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Good job!

Premier Icon santacoops
    Subscriber

Thought i’d give an update. My wheel has just survived a ride from Holyhead to Bristol over 4 days. It was a charity ride with a bunch of mates and did it on my superlight with some skinnier tyres than whats normally on it. Knackered me out, some awesome climbs and amazing views with wet and dry weather, we had it all… so through all that, quite pleased my wheel has survived! Still rolls well too… its out lasted my gear cables anyway! 😀

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Wheel build in LBS…’ is closed to new replies.