Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Wheel build – how much and where?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Just bought a used rear wheel – hope hub and DT Swiss rim though it had a few snapped spokes which meant it was quick buckled. Took it to a shop where they replaced them and trued up the wheel so it was bang-on straight. Been out tonight on it’s first ride and 2 have snapped which wasn’t totally unexpected TBH – inevitably others will follow suit – having said that it’s £18 down the drain.
    How much should I expect to pay for a start-again build with decent spokes?
    Oh, and does anyone know of a good wheel builder in the East Midlands?

coatesy
    Free Member

Expect around £30 for DT Comp spokes, and another £30 for labour. Or strip it yourself to save time and money, and maybe even learn to build your own with help from the internet, it’s a very useful skill to possess.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you’re anywhere near Farnborough, Hants, give me a shout. My wheels are well tested by several people now. Email in profile. 🙂

scaredypants

Here; Nine quid
    (It’s not hard (assuming you have “normal” hubs & rim I guess). Go for it if you have the time)

Edric64
    Free Member

DT spokes are bloody pricey .Sapim are just as good and much cheaper .Spa Cycles stock them

rascal
    Free Member

Must say I’m tempted to try myself – good skill to have and save loads of dough worth no trips to the LBS.
    That book looks very useful – anyone else built their own wheels before??

ndthornton
    Free Member

Since you snapped spokes after a truing Id say there is a good chance your rim is pringled. Those spokes were probably super tight to bring the rim back true.

If you are going to do it – do it yourself. Just follow Sheldon Browns simple instructions on the web!

schmiken

Whereabouts in the East Midlands are you? Im a fairly handy wheel builder and I’m in Loughborough.

rascal
    Free Member

Off Forest Rd near Holywell school…where are you?
    Can you build me a bombproof rear wheel then? 😉
    I’ve heard Pedal Power aren’t that hot at building wheels so not really wanting to take it there TBH…

schmiken

YGM.

Mintman
    Free Member

PeterPoddy – YHM.

rascal
    Free Member

Schmiken – mailed you back!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Wheel build – how much and where?’ is closed to new replies.