Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Wheel Bearing RS or LLB. Will i notice?
  • Killer
    Free Member

So, replacing some fo the bearings in various wheels and after years of replacing bearings ive suddenly learnt there is a difference between 2rS and LLu / LLB variants and I may have been buying the wrong ones.

I’ve always used the 2RS bearings as they’re cheap!, but I’ve now learnt there are low rolling reistance / non contact seals versions of LLU or LLB? (still not worked out the difference)

this may be better for the wheels as they spin the most, but then the worse seal performance means they aren’t as well suited. they’re also >4x the cost of LLu

WWSTWdo?
    LLu in road wheels, 2RS in MTB?
    Has naybody ever noticed the difference between the two types? is the cost really worth it? I know its not a lot of actual money, but don’t want to spend money on stuff that doesn’t actually ahve any real world difference?

fossy

I wouldn’t worry about low rolling resistance. 2RS generally for me, but ended up with either a LLB or LLU bearing as this had a double seal Enduro bearing. Is LLU the lighter seal.

Better sealing for MTB.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Always start the queries by asking yourself what killed the existing bearings. If it was the ingress of dirt and water, you want better seals. 2RS just means two rubber seals. LLU is light contact lip and LLB is, I think off the top of my head, two lips in a groove. There’s also SRS to consider which are snap ring seals. The same way Chris King headsets are kept sealed.

However, getting too concerned about the sealing mechanism may limit the actual quality of the bearings. For example, if the only SRS you could get were Chinese no names, you’d be better off with an LLU on an INA or NTN.

scaredypants

I use FFG – fullo **** grease

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Wheel Bearing RS or LLB. Will i notice?’ is closed to new replies.