Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Wheat Beer Recommendations?
  • shooterman

I know some (a few) on here are gentlemen and judges of fine beers so I’m canvassing for recommendations.

I’ve been enjoying Erdinger and Maisels Weisse for the last few years but wondering if you folks could recommend any other wheat beers? Don’t mind ordering online if needs be.

mattyfez

Leffe (the blonde one) is quite nice and widely available?

richmtb

Weihenstephaner, Franziskaner are both good

Oh and if you order online look for Schnieder Weisse Tap 5, really strong but lovely

willard

Depends on how far down the rabbithole you want to go with wheat. There are some lovely white IPAs that have a lot of wheat in, but if you are keen for heffeweissen, Erdinger, Scheider and the like are all decent.

I have a Karmentinus dobbelbock waiting to be drunk, but at 8% and half a litre, it is something to work towards and take seriously.

falkirk-mark

Any wheat beer. Not found one I don’t like yet but I will keep looking.

shooterman

Thanks folks. A few bottles of schnieder added to the order.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Slight side note but I keep beer in the fridge in the garage for when I come back from a ride with friends. I recently left a bag of beers outside of the fridge as the phone rang and I forgot them.

The wife later said she had put the ‘low alcohol’ beers into the fridge.
    I asked what low alcohol beers?
    She said there were a bag of beers between 4% and 5% which she assumes were low alcohol beer based on the normal stuff I drink

blitz

Aldi do one. It’s a blatant Fransizkaner rip-off with the monk on the label and is almost identical in taste. That’s my go to.

Just googled it – Reinbacher it’s called.

shooterman

This could get messy!

Cheers to all.

jodafett

La Chouffe Blanche. Bloody lovely. The blond version’s also ace.

jodafett

I would like to try this one

It’s a favourite of my local beer shop owner so he always has it in 🥳

theotherjonv

mainstream but I like the citrus in Hoegaarden / Blue Moon, and available in most supermarkets.

The alcohol free ones are also i find very drinkable compared to a/f other beers – Franziskaner (OK, 0.5%) is a nice end to a hot ride in the summer.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Paulaner is another not mentioned yet and usually available

Haze

Beat me to it it, Paulaner Weissbier 👌

I’ve never considered Leffe Blonde to be a wheat beer

nixie

Have you tried any dunkle weissbeir? Still wheat but a stronger flavour. Erdinger Dunkle is easy enough to find (Waitrose).

shooterman

I haven’t tried the Dunkle beer but might sample a bottle. I have seen Pauiliner in a few places do may also give it a try.

Anyone tried Augustiner Hell beers? Former colleague used to rave about them.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Weihenstephaner Dunkel is very nice

In Belgian I’ve liked Vedett white and Blanche de Bruxelles

wors

Lidle do their own Wheat beer, similar to Erdinger in taste and only £1.25 a bottle.

This thread makes me want to sit outside a bar in Bruge 😢

theotherjonv

Anyone tried Augustiner Hell beers? Former colleague used to rave about them.

A bit bland for me, but in a good way. Inoffensive, refreshing, no nasty undertones like UK chemically lagers. I’d happily sit in a biergarten in Munich and drink large amounts.

(bastards. Had a brilliant boys trip to Prague in ’19, were going to Budapest in ’20, cancelled, nothing likely for ’21 either, and now you’ve made me irrationally sad/annoyed that I won’t be drinking a cold foreign beer with people I haven’t seen for 18 months in a converted monastery somewhere for a while yet)

timbob78
    Free Member

Schneider Weisse Tap 7 is the original and very tasty so I’d recommend that too!.

Tesco sell Erdinger Dunkel if there’s one local to you.

Rothaus Hefeweizen is very good but hard to come by.

Sainsburys sell Weihenstephen Hefe weissbeer

Yes. I like wheat beer.. a lot 🙂

ronaldm
    Free Member

Hoegaarden is my number one

shooterman

Yes, Hoegaarden is lovely and readily available.

As some have mentioned above, the lack of European travel this year is prompting me to bring a little bit of the experience home. Warm nights drinking Maisels Weisse and Peroni in Northern Italy!!!

Zipfer was my tipple in Austria but haven’t been able to find a UK source for it alas.

Frankers
    Free Member

My favourite is still Erdinger but lots of other choices. Personally I prefer Hefe and Krystal, not a fan of dark Dunkel beers.

German
    Weihenstephan Hefe
    Schneider Tap 1, 4 & 7

Also do a search for Hitachino white and Weizen beers.

Beer Sniffers do a great range of Weissbeer but you have to have a good search as they’re not all together.

sparksmcguff

If you want something that isn’t the obvious German Weizen, Six Degrees North does one called Wanderlust. It’s more Belgium wheat beer (more hoppy) but very refreshing like the German ones.

sandboy

Augustiner is my favourite but as someone has already said, the Aldi one is very nice and at £1.25 a bottle difficult to beat for value.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Erdinger Pikantus I recall was nice, sort of dunkel like

mick_r

Only ever had dunkle in Germany – must try a bottle over here.

Crankshaft brewery in Leyland does a nice one called pitchfork. They only tend to do it in summer so must be due a batch soon (stop off if heading to the lakes).

dudeofdoom

This thread makes me want to sit outside a bar in Bruge 😢

Yep I’ll probably end up in in Brussels in that pub wiv the stuffed horse sometime in the future.

Nothing beats drinking Belgium beers in Belgium.

b33k34

Lidl’s is pretty good and their alcohol free is my favourite 0% beer (and it’s something ridiculous like 69p a 500ml bottle).

shooterman

On the recommendations above got myself a couple of bottles of the Lidl £1.29 stuff. Drinkable.

misteralz
    Free Member

Agreed with Tap 7 and Rothaus. König Ludwig also do an utterly fantastic weissbier. Allgäuer Edelweiss is worth searching out but it has to be drunk cold. I quite like Grolsch Weizen as well, if I can’t find any of the others there.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Wheat Beer Recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.