Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • What's your Supermarket trolley etiquette ?
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Well ?

Do you take a fresh trolley even though you could take the unused one floating around ?

Do you give the person putting their trolley away £1 and take theirs ?

Do you accept the £1 from someone else and let them take yours ? ( No btw just plain wrong)

Do you steal one from another shopper mid shop ?

And lastly do the supermarkets actually think that putting a £1 deposit is going to stop anyone stealing a trolley these days !

Over to you…

Me I always take a fresh trolly just incase that “other” trolly is infected with the lergy !

footflaps

Shop online…

Pigface
    Free Member

OP needs to get out more 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I click/collect or shop online.

Not touched a trolley in years, and my life is better for it.

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

The kids round our way have learned how to get the pound coins out quickly using a biro or something.

Drac

I send the wife.

andytherocketeer

grab a basket, and get in and out again asafp!

at the French hypermarkets back in the days before the euro, a 2p coin worked fine. then you can let the local kids take the trolley back. ace when there’s a coach load stacking the slabs of stella, and you let them take back 10 trolleys, and see the look on their faces 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Drac beat me to it !

Always take a fresh trolley, never use a £1 coin but a token

As an aside online shopping is ok for the basics (eg packets and tins) and heavy items but we only ever buy meat, fish and vegetables in person and if we can not at the supermarket.

sandwicheater

Our local supermarkets trust us not to steal and no £1 is required.

I surmise you are riff raff 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I usually take a car park floater – when someone else is so lazy and bone idle not to return their trolley to one of the very many conveniently located trolley parks dotted around the car park and leave them lying around the car park ready for the wind to catch them and blow them into someones car, or meaning someone has to stop when they steer into a car park slot to move a stranded trolley.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Online obvs. What is this, the 20th century?

GrahamS

Another +1 for online*. Nice man delivers stuff directly to the door and I don’t have to worry about trolleys or going outside.

* Vegetables from my LGS though, natch.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I like to move half loaded trolleys that have been abandoned, for no other reason than my own amusement. Shopping is boring. For this reason, my wife doesn’t let me go to the supermarket with her.

maccruiskeen

And lastly do the supermarkets actually think that putting a £1 deposit is going to stop anyone stealing a trolley these days !

You’ve missed the point of the £1 – its not about theft its about keeping the carpark tidy – the £1 means you have to put the trolley back where you found it – saves the supermarket staff having to do it.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Question is, do you set yourself up for a Scandinavian Flick to get into the next aisle?
    Feet up, flat out, preferably with a furiously giggling child in the trolley seat.

Jamie
    Free Member

Question is, do you set yourself up for a Scandinavian Flick to get into the next aisle?
    Feet up, flat out, preferably with a furiously giggling child in the trolley seat.

teasel
    Free Member

Problem with online is some shop bod will just grab whatever is closest to hand and you end up with products close to the use by date or just not of the quality you’d choose yourself. That’s my experience of it, anyway.

I always take a fresh trolly just incase that “other” trolly is infected with the lergy !

Given that it’s probably been used within the last 24 hours the chance of the ‘lurgy’ still being present is reasonable high (if it was ever there) as some ‘lurgies’ live for up to 72 hours. I get around this by using an antiseptic wipe on the entire handle and a few bits of metal that I know I’ll inadvertently touch – get the weirdest looks sometimes but better safe and all that…

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

As I walk in the shop there’s two rows of trolleys, deep ones and shallow ones. I take a shallow one, then once I’ve finished shopping and loaded everything into the car I return the trolley to the appropriate row in the car park trolley store. There’s no pound coins involved.

GrahamS

Problem with online is some shop bod will just grab whatever is closest to hand and you end up with products close to the use by date or just not of the quality you’d choose yourself.

Hence why we tend to get fruit/veg from our LGS. Not had a major problem with use-by dates though it’s unusual for stuff to last that long in our house!

I get around this by using an antiseptic wipe on the entire handle and a few bits of metal that I know I’ll inadvertently touch – get the weirdest looks

I can’t think why! 😀

How do you cope with things like door knobs, buttons in lifts, or public toilets??

D0NK

How do you cope with things like door knobs, buttons in lifts, or public toilets??

doesn’t take much effort tbh – not that I do the disinfecting trolley rigmarole…
    yet!
    thanks teasel 🙄

thegreatape
    Free Member

I take a shallow one

I too prefer to use a single persons trolley, because it is far less painful for my back, and latterly my tummy, when leaning to unload it.

nealglover
    Free Member

Problem with online is some shop bod will just grab whatever is closest to hand and you end up with products close to the use by date or just not of the quality you’d choose yourself. That’s my experience of it, anyway.

You are using the wrong supermarket.

Try one that doesn’t have any actual shops 😉

Your fresh stuff will be fine.

GrahamS

You are using the wrong supermarket.
    Try one that doesn’t have any actual shops

I was listening to a radio thing a couple of months ago that was talking about dark stores.

Apparently in more populous areas even the big traditional supermarkets don’t actually send a bod round their aisles to pick your shopping, instead it is done at a dark store distribution centre.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/nov/30/dark-stores-feed-dotcom-shoppers

cloudnine
    Free Member

The house keeper does it online, nice chap in a van delivers. Butler carries laden baskets to the kitchen and the Cook organises it into the correct location.

slowoldman

At Waitrose the trolleys are nicely stored ready for collection and there is no charge.

chewkw
    Free Member

unfitgeezer – Member
    Do you take a fresh trolley even though you could take the unused one floating around ?

I take fresh one to avoid having to argue in case someone left it there on purpose.

Do you give the person putting their trolley away £1 and take theirs ?

No. I let them complete the task then start the process again. To avoid unnecessary contact.

Do you accept the £1 from someone else and let them take yours ? ( No btw just plain wrong)

Yes, if they are already stretching out the hand to give me the £1 coin so I just take it to avoid embarrassing them if I reject. I will check the £1 coin though in case it’s a fake coin. (I received fake pound coin before)

Do you steal one from another shopper mid shop ?

No. I just take a new one.

Nope. What’s the scrap value by the way? Think is more expensive?

🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

What a strange concept going to a Supermarket.

I just sit on the Sofa to do my shopping.

GrahamS

The house keeper wife does it online, nice chap in a van delivers. Butler Wife carries laden baskets to the kitchen and the Cook Wife organises it into the correct location.

Fixed That For You Me. 😉

andyl
    Free Member

I shop somewhere they don’t need to fit those £1 thingies.

If I can’t avoid it I have a dummy coin on my keyring I got for making a charity donation. Saves me having to hunt round for a £1.

aP
    Free Member

Limo service for me

project
    Free Member

Morrisons are doing away with the deposit system on trollies. along with lots of middle managenment who just stand still all day and just stare.

Always leave an empty trolley in the space next to your car, it ensures you car doesnt get some muppet banging their car door into you.

also when in checkout queue, always leave trolley at top of conveyor, and fill all bags then slowly move trolley down to your end positon and slowly and mechanically fill trolley with bags, stops those heavy breathers getting to close to you.

When picking trolley pull it out, look at it and put it ack and take another one, walk slightly away then return trolleyand then pick the first one, really bugs people as to what was wrong with the trolleys.

At checkout anounce to checkout operator , i see you hae the new mark 12 GPS tracked trolley, not many shops have these as yet.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Shop online. Then I can enjoy refusing Tesco Man entry to my house which completely **** up their service radar.

“Seriously mate, just leave it there”.

Too much gunz n drugz inside.

teasel
    Free Member

Depends. If I’m feeling bolshie I might adopt the 70s TV cop approach, though that, too, seems to get weird looks occasionally.

But joking aside and as Donk quite rightly states, it doesn’t take a lot of effort – antiseptic wipes for the most part, elbows, feet, forearms etc.

But back OT – if I require fresh stuff like veg I’ll just throw on a back back and cycle in. It’s only an eight mile round trip so not a big effort and there’s always the local farm shop if I want some meat.

And sorry, Donk but you know it makes sense. If you’ve come this far with your OCD then it’s only a matter of time before you progress to trolley handle cleansing. When you walk into a supermarket take a look at the faces. A myriad faces with so many hands. Hands that touch the trolley handle. Hands that may have a lurgy or unhealthy bacteria.

They are legion…

simmy
    Free Member

Small one person trolley.

I always use a trolley token so don’t accept £1 off anyone else as the trolley tokens cost £1 anyway so there’s no profit to be made.

I make a list of what I need and get out of there ASAP as I’ve an habit of dropping extra stuff in peoples trolleys and rearranging the herbs and spices into rude names.

Cougar

it doesn’t take a lot of effort – antiseptic wipes for the most part, elbows, feet, forearms etc.

And by not exposing your immune system to daily life, the first time you get a cold you’ll be hospitalised.

Jamie
    Free Member

I think once you go down the route of wiping shopping trolleys, you’re getting dangerously close to Howard Hughes territory. I mean, where does it stop? Chip and pin units, ATMs, door handles, lift buttons, escalator/stair rails etc etc.

…and all the time make sure you don’t subconsciously touch your face with your germ riddled hands. Which is surprisingly difficult.

teasel
    Free Member

And by not exposing your immune system to daily life, the first time you get a cold you’ll be hospitalised.

I’ve been fine when I’ve eventually contracted a cold – about a week out, which seems about average. The difference is I only get them occasionally, though it’s been noted by friends that I have the immune system of an ox due to rubbing noses with local deer and the like. Aside from human contamination and the odd area where there’s likely to have been rats and other vermin I don’t worry too much about dirt on my food should it drop on the floor and suchlike…

teasel
    Free Member

.and all the time make sure you don’t subconsciously touch your face with your germ riddled hands. Which is surprisingly difficult.

It’s not, actually. Once you’re aware you’ve touched something that may or may not be contaminated it’s a simple matter of not sticking your fingers up your nose, in your eyes or touch anything you’re going to put in your mouth.

It’s not quite the crazyness you think it is…

Jamie
    Free Member

Once you’re aware

That’ll be why I said subconsciously. Also, I never said it was crazy. Nothing wrong with it, it’s more the fact it seems like fighting a losing battle given the touchy/grimy world we live in.

Anyway, I think I am finally seeing a use for the GoPro camera.

Set one up on a chest mount, facing your cakehole, and see how many times your fingers touch your face.

😀

teasel
    Free Member

Kinda like that toothpaste ad…?

I’d like to observe how many spiders and flies etc crawl into your mouth when sleeping…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘What's your Supermarket trolley etiquette ?’ is closed to new replies.