• This topic has 58 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by marco.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • What's your post ride pub, and what's good about it?
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The Village Inn, Fairlie in Ayrshire.

Loves –

Schiehallion on draft all the time, plus two other guest ales.
    Haggis nachos
    Liver and bacon
    They don’t mind us being manky
    Buxom barmaid

Not so good –
    I wish they’d learn to use the wood burner, it’s always just ‘ticking over’.

So, what’s your post ride pub?

Bregante

So many Monday night pub rides… so many pubs.

This was a particular highlight for me though.

Fantastic laid back atmosphere.
    Great Ale.
    “Characterful” landlord
    In fact it was so good, I didn’t want to leave despite having wrecked my hand last time we were there.

Chez binners

Also known as the Irwell Works Brewery.

Binners, there’s a bank holiday coming up. Get your map out and make sure we end up here again! 🙂

dantsw13

The George, Robertsbridge.

Always Harvey’s beer, normally Sharpes Doom Bar, and a local guest beer too.

Stu the chef normally appears with a big plate of his yummy chips for us!

This place…

It’s about 500yds from my house and it serves beer. Oh, the scratchings are ok. Not a lot else

rOcKeTdOg

haggis nachos

I need to try those!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll post a pic up tomorrow, just for you RD! 😀

Kahurangi

Elevate.

The sponsor a roadie club but we don’t hold that against them.

For every 4 beers/drinks your group gets a free bowl of chips.

There’s plenty of space outside but not public access that you can leave your bike without a chance of someone walking off with it, without you seeing them.

Beers are only adequate but there’s a good pizza, steak, burger and proper menu should you want it.

stevied
    Free Member

The Nags Head, Malvern. Great local ales, downhill all the way home…

muggomagic

In the summer it has to be the fortune of war on Brighton beach, no particularly good beer, but a great atmosphere and a place to sit and watch the beautiful people of Brighton.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

+1 haggis nacho-curious.

andytherocketeer

Wasn’t expecting to see a pub I know in the first post! 🙂
    That used to be our post-rocket launching pub, but did see mountainbikers coming in for a pint.

Nardini’s for dinner, and post dinner ice-cream of course.

Post ride pub… lots. Several biergartens here – will pick one which is on the route. Or the cake+coffee hotel in Maribor, Slovenia, or the bar in Morzine where every single bike outside is an Orange 5, or the Old Bridge Inn in Aviemore, or …

(edit: pics can come later for the “what’s good about it” bit)

bol

The Fat Cat in Norwich. It’s opposite the bike shop and it sells excellent beer.

binners

Bregante beat me to it. Its bloody dangerous having a brewery at the bottom of your road. Especially one this good. It is actually the law that every Rammy ride has to finish here. Which is a bonus, ride-wise as you always finish on a mahoosive (and excellently fun) descent to get to it! To indulge in one or two (or nine – Hi Lowey!) of their fine ales

You can now organise a pie and pea supper for groups too. Bregante – is it worth me popping in and see if I can sort this for the bank holiday Monday? That ‘d be a nice thing to round the weekend off with

scaled
    Free Member

Nearly post ride! The lads and I have taken to stopping here:

Not the best photo, but 2 pints and then it’s a dark descent down to the van when we’ve parked at strines stations

lowey

Accommodating Landlord who is a craftsman when it comes to keeping fine ale. 20 min ride from home so not too bad.

The Irwell Works brewery is also Ace… good call Bregante.

Bregante

Bregante – is it worth me popping in and see if I can sort this for the bank holiday Monday?

Sounds like a bloody great idea that!

Re that last descent. It wasn’t much fun one handed last time I rode it!
    Please don’t let me do anything daft this time though binners. If I damage myself this time I’d make myself very unpopular with the rest of the group I’m supposed to be doing a 170 mile C2C the following weekend.

Actually…… :mrgreen:

Lowey – we both have very good tastes in pubs. The Bull is also a top choice!

MoreCashThanDash

Punchbowl in West Hallam. No problems with muddy bikers, used to let us borrow a hosepipe to rinse bikes off in the courtyard till we blocked the drain, installed stone floors to sweep up after us.

Fires and logburners in winter, 4 cask ales always on. Doesn’t kick you out till late. And downhill most of the way home!

oldgit
    Free Member

Black lion Leighton Buzzard.
    50 Belgian beers.
    No food.
    No music.
    No tv screens.
    Great garden for summer.
    Log fires for winter.
    Best of all locked bike storage.
    Very very bike friendly.

badllama
    Free Member

We don’t have post ride pubs we have halfway round pubs doing local rides 😀
    If fact our last local ride in the sun was a ride between pubs spending more time in beer gardens than on the bike 😳 😀

Bregante

we have halfway round pubs

Last Mondays night ride around Turton Moor (led by wittonweavers) took us past 3 top pubs including the Strawbury Duck and the Chetham arms. That’d make a good pub crawl ride.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Watching trains go by…

Also…

binners

Last Mondays night ride around Turton Moor (led by wittonweavers) took us past 3 top pubs including the Strawbury Duck and the Chetham arms. That’d make a good pub crawl ride.

It does! 😀

You can also get the Hare and Hounds in, then down to Summerseat for the Hamars and the Footballers too, then from there yo can get off road to finish at the Brewery

*pencils in for christmas night ride*

40mpg

Good range of ciders
    Free chips every time we turn up
    Special rate on cider (40p off normal) just for us
    Loyalty card, usually log enough for a free night at christmas
    After the last cider festival, they started selling us the leftovers at £1 per pint, then just gave them to us.

I can’t think why we keep going back!

jedi

The old cross tavern Hertford 😀

duncancallum

the Yewtree in Heath charnock

Also the Royal in Tockholes:

and maybe the bowling green Rivington null

although I’m not picky!

_tom_
    Free Member

I don’t have a post ride pub, could count on one hand the amount of times I’ve stopped at a pub on the way home. Most of the time I’d rather just get home and have a shower then a beer from the fridge whilst I wait for dinner to cook tbh. I think I must be doing it wrong.

binners

You’re definitely doing it wrong tom. You’re getting confused as to why you went out in the first place. Don’t get me wrong. Riding your bikes alright, I suppose, but lets concentrate on whats really important eh?

dannyh
    Free Member

For Wednesday evenings it is either the Man Within Compass in Whitwick or the Curzon Arms in Woodhouse Eaves.

Best thing about both is that they serve beer.

The second best thing about both is that they serve good beer.

The rest is down to the people who have been out on the ride.

Harry_the_Spider

cheese@4p

I love the Cross Keys at Siddal , Halifax.
    Always great beer and friendly people in there.
    Just a bit too far from Brighouse to fully appreciate though.

scandal42
    Free Member

Adding pics to the post Dannyh

blooddonor
    Free Member

The Star,in Dorking great little pub, Vinyl night on Wednesdays, and they let you take your own food in,great curry house,couple of doors up and they Deliver to the pub!!!
    Ride,beer,vinyl & curry!!!

BigDummy
    Free Member

The Nova Scotia Hotel, Bristol docks.

It serves mixed grill, and they have learnt to tolerate our wet arses and cussing.

colournoise

Decent beers, good food, and they let us use the carpark as long as we stop for a pint after our ride (such a hard deal to keep our part of!).

Plus, they sourced and stock these for us after we asked.

Lester
    Free Member

+1
    Old Cross Tavern Herford, make mine a cold Paulaner please

Yak

Scaled – I used to stop there when I lived nearby.
    Great spot and even in winter when you are caked in mud, its all fine.

gazc
    Free Member

this place is our post/mid ride stop depending on route, conveniently it takes me 3mins to get home via the derwent walk c2c path and a gravel track which can be a tad ‘sketchy’ after a prolonged visit 🙂 good beer, good food (bit pricey mind), open fire, good views and bike/dog/child friendly

globalti
    Free Member

+1
    Old Cross Tavern Herford, make mine a cold Paulaner please

Jeeze… you went into a pub and PAID to drink that Euro-wee? You might as well have just gone home, tinkled in a glass and necked it.

My favourite near-the-end-of-the-hooligan-ride stop, the Swan With Two Necks in Pendleton, Lancashire:

Usually got Copper Dragon’s Golden Pippin on tap, fresh. Only two miles flat and downhill from there to my buddy’s house so the ride always finishes with a bit of, er, a burst of speed.

Alex

Saracens Head – Symonds Yat. 6 (SIX!) great real ales on draft. Publican is a mountain biker. That first photo has ‘our’ bench in view where we sit summer or winter. Generally at the end of a long Sunday ride. Problem is it’s 12km home on the road which is okay into a summer breeze, not quite so much fun as it’s going dark in winter!

There’s a few decent pubs in the FoD but this is my favourite.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘What's your post ride pub, and what's good about it?’ is closed to new replies.