Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • What's your polliing station?
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

A Working Mans club. Always fun to as there is a short but steep flight of steps to get up and the wheelchair and disabled access is round the back in the rubble car park and often blocked by cars. I usually spend more time helping people up and down the stairs than casting my vote. Really wound me when Shahid Malik refused to help a wheelchair user as it was against the rules, didn’t stop the other candidate there from helping.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Portacabin – it’s over the road from my house, very handy – it was only missing for 10 days before they brough it back after the local elections.

theotherjonv

The old TA drill hall (now an Army cadet hall)

0.2km, so no excuse but I have a postal vote since way back when I never knew where I’d be one day to the next.

That said – I’ve wavered so long wondering which way to vote in the past 2 weeks that in the end I didn’t post it and will have to go there and hand it in person to the returning officer anyway.

hairyscary

A village hall in the next village along, just shy of 3 miles away.

Cougar

Just idly wondering,

All these churches… would that be problematic for some of the more devout of other faiths? Are there any religions which forbid the entering of other places of worship?

)Genuine question, I’m not trying to start an argument. Just curious.)

Yak

Village hall, 400m from home.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Are there any religions which forbid the entering of other places of worship?

It’ll be church halls in the main rather than the actual churches themselves so , probably not a “place of worship”.

More like a “place of dodge ball”, “place of toddlers groups” or a “place of tea and biscuits”

anagallis_arvensis

Mines a closed down childrens centre!!!

smiffy

Miner’s Welfare Hall.

deadkenny
    Free Member

perchypanther – Member 
    It’ll be church halls in the main rather than the actual churches themselves

Actual church in my case. I felt wary about stepping over the threshold 😀

Actually, for some reason they switched from the church hall next door to the church last year. Usually been the hall. It’s a nice churchy church though.

perchypanther
    Free Member

It’s a nice churchy church though.

That was lucky. Easy to recognise. Those phone-boxy or kebab-shopy churches can be tricky. 🙂

ads678

Mines the local ‘Institution’ what ever that is!!

BFITH
    Free Member

Village cricket clubhouse. I’ll be popping in post-ride this evening (sadly, bar wont be open)

frankconway

Leeds Society for the Blind – some joke potential in choice of venue?
    Having done my democratic duty I’m now sitting outside watching who’s going in.
    Many more younger than older but that could mean students with free time during the day and other age groups at work. Who knows.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

At the splendidly named St James the less parochial catholic school in Rawtenstall !!!!!

rossburton
    Free Member

Conference room in the hotel around the corner. Boringly they’re now making us use the side entrance, previously everyone voting has had to walk through the lobby and bar to reach it, past people having breakfast/lunch/dinner/a drink.

To be honest that’s probably a good thing, after this election walking past a bar would have been far too tempting at midday.

slackboy

The Eagle and Child pub in Ramsbottom is a polling station – not my unfortunately, I had to make do with the local primary school.

kimbers

anagallis_arvensis – Member

[img]https://metrouk2.files.wordpress.com/2017/03/may-lol.gif[/img]

Wookster

Village hall, apparently it’s been really busy! Saying that last election result was 60% for the Tories so I don’t if that’s a good or bad thing!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Bit of an overtly political choice!

These commercial venus that get used – does the government simply commandeer them I wonder, or does it book and pay like everyone else?

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

They couldn’t afford the bird and bastard [ eagle and child ] and they’d probably have to come back later when there’s a table free.

ChrisL

Until this election mine was the church hall for the church that’s about 400m from my flat. This time it’s crossed the road to the RC primary school, making it closer by nearly 100m.

All the pictures of saints on the walls in the reception area felt a little incongruous. Probably because I went to secular schools and apart from that this one seemed similar to my memories of my primary school.

kimbers

These commercial venus that get used – does the government simply commandeer them I wonder, or does it book and pay like everyone else?

yes the taxpayer pays, prices have gone up, thats why this election is the most expensive ever- that was before the terror attacks and all teh extra security they are putting on

gallowayboy

Mine would be a primary school 45 minutes walk through the woods (or a 20 minute drive). Applied for a postal vote in 2010 and have stuck with it – I miss voting in person though.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

I think it would make more sense to use Argos, they’ve got the booths and the pencils and everything

allthegear
    Free Member

Mine’s one of those happy-clappy churches. I voted by posts never got to see inside…

Rachel

Cougar

Are there any angry-slappy churches? I could be converted if there are.

milky1980
    Free Member

The local Tesco, in the main foyer. Follow the signs for the toilets and it’s on your left.

Was quiet when I went at 10am, will be heaving after the schools kick out.

wiggles
    Free Member

Annoyingly the kids school is a polling station but not mine as I live the other side of the main road. So I dropped the kids off then had to walk 2 miles in the rain to my polling station in a portcabin in a carpark

thestabiliser
    Free Member

In the brothel above the saloon

funkmasterp

The Bethal Baptist Church. Oddly it has the vibe of an early nineties youth club about it and smells of old people.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The village hall a couple of miles away. They had a listing of the addresses of those out with the immediate village. I was surprised how many farms and out of the way houses and cottages there were in my community.

The ladies at the desk said that the turnout had been good despite the rain.

hammerite
    Free Member

Village hall about a quarter of a mile away.

My school was closed today as it’s a polling station, I went in and used the opportunity of the school being open until gone 10pm to get a stack of work done. I parked next a car that had a sticker saying “Keep calm and go hunting!” I think it belonged to the flat cap, wax jacket wearing activist stood outside the entrance to the school hall.

Weirdly they close the school even though there’s another polling station less than 200m away (a church hall) – down to the number people each polling station can handle apparently. I have to say whenever I could see out on to the street it looked busy with people coming and going, so I imagine turn out has been pretty good.

sarkmeister
    Free Member

Mine was in our local pub. Shame I voted before they started serving….

maccruiskeen

The village ‘Old Folk’s Cabin’

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘What's your polliing station?’ is closed to new replies.