Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • What's your motivation for riding like at the moment?
  • binners

On a scale of 1 to 10

I’d say mine’s hovering about a 3. I had planned to go out last night. But, as usual, it was windy, raining and cold. The dream combination. I made my excuses and stayed in, postponing it til tonight

I’m now listening to the wind literally howling around the window. Its only just stopped hail-stoning, and quite frankly, if it stays like this I won’t be bothering tonight either.

Its not just the weather. I braved it last week and it was like riding through treacle. Absolutely bloody awful!

Anyone else? Or is it just me being southern/gay? Should I MTFU and get cold and wet? Or sit with my feet up and a beer?

mattbee

After a couple of years of hovering around the 1 to 3 mark I have rediscovered my joy in riding recently, and reckon its at about 8 or 9 now. (Mud pulls it back from 10!)
    Weather has been kind, nothing too extreme although wet chalk is never nice.
    I can tie in the moment my mojo came back to aquiring my latest bike, a ’93 Klein Fervor and getting rid of my ‘modern’ 5″ travel full sus. I think I’d overbiked myself for local riding with an eye on the trips to ‘proper mountains’ which in all honesty hardly ever happened. Local trail now feel fast and fun as they used to but a whole lot more engaging.
    The dog loving coming out with the bike helps too; when he sees me get the bike rack out of the cupboard he’s by the front door wagging like crazy!

snowslave

Soon as you find excuses to not ride, you’re on the path to oblivion. Excluding acts of god, the a624 being shut, and the lure of the globe in Glossop last night. Hem hem

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    J0N
    Free Member

About 8 for me. Itching to get out but need to find a job. Cold wind and rain this week is putting me off a bit.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Mine’s about 8-9. I look forward to my next ride just after I’ve finished to the last one.
    Haven’t touched a Mountain Bike for a few months and cleaning a road bike only takes about 5 minutes so it doesn’t dampen my enthusiasm.
    Next ride is Saturday, can’t wait. 🙂

muff
    Free Member

10! all the way… It’s nearly spring and I don’t have a bike at the moment so the combination of the two is killing me.

obviously as soon as I do pick up a bike my motivation iwll drop to circa 4.5

binners

While we’re on the subject of paths to oblivion. Rumour has it that you were lured away on some kind of Jazz-based evening? Any truth in this?

I’m riding Saturday come hell or high water. But the midweek dark solo night-rides just ain’t doing it for me at the moment mate. Which is unusual as up until this winter I’ve been fairly bloody-minded

rewski
    Free Member

10, I’m gagging to get out, been injured off and on for past 6 months.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

We’ve had snow on ground since November and only a handful of days above plus. The days I’ve got out have been fantastic, the 50 odd sessions on the turbo have been rewarding.

Racing season starts for me in 6 weeks, so motivation levels are currently running at 10.

If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way. If you don’t, you’ll find an excuse. – Jim Rohn

senorj

5/10 at the moment.

Like Binners i failed to ride last night.
    Not because of the weather though,I was just lazy.

The Quality* rides are easy to get motivated for ,
    but doing the dull miles is sometimes a struggle.

*off road/away from it all/somewhere lovely.

billysugger
    Free Member

7ish

Started making the effort to definitely go out every other day for at least an hour. In any weather. Then you gradually end up doing more and more. Was on the local moor a couple of Sundays ago with it going dark. That much wind and rain I thought ‘this must be what stone-work feels like when it’s being sand blasted, sod it, I’m turning round’ then some guy has the brass cheek to jog past me. Right, not having that, pedalled my way through the rocky streams that should be dry paths, made it to the top and hammered back down it and home in the dark (well, as light as 5 year old cat-eye contraption allows). Not felt that sense of achievement through adversity for years.

Earn your beer.

It does help if you’re riding is replacing a more harmful addiction mind.

Music too, before and during.

bullheart
    Free Member

Lost the love at the mo.

plumber
    Free Member

I have recently started as a volunteer bike ride guide helperist thingy for the local council

yesterdays ride stats were 10 miles – flat canal both ways – ave 3.4 mph with no mechanicals or punctures

however it was brilliant seeing how the other half cycle and what great joy it brings them, most can’t even afford a bike so are loaned some via the scheme

Hohum
    Free Member

Last week and at the weekend it went up to about 7 or 8 as it had finally started to dry up.

Unfortunately the wind and rain has returned and I know that my local routes will have become very muddy again and that puts me down to about a 3.

Tom83

10 for me. If i don’t ride for a couple of days my sciatica kicks in and i struggle to walk properly. Haven’t ridden since Tuesday night, and my legs giving me jip! Will be commuting to work tomorrow and Saturday, then off out for a proper ride Sunday.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Wow, nice plumber, respect!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m riding Saturday come hell or high water.

Glad to hear it.

I’ll be very suspicious if you say the dog ate your SPDs or something now that i’ve read this.

Edit: 7 or 8 for me, aided by nice dry spell down here and mostly dry trails on yesterday afternoon’s ride.

billysugger
    Free Member

Respect +1, good on yer

lowey

You have become influenced by Hora too much. Also, stop making me feel proper guilty for missing last night 😳

I’m 10. I literally bursting to get out, but I now have the kids till Monday.

I’ll get you out next week mate, promise. 😆

hora
    Free Member

If its windy and chucking it down who in their right mind would ride a bike? Birch yourself? I’ll ride in -8 on a crisp day without a doubt but wind and rain? Sod right off. Its a hobby, for enjoyment not ‘I need to get out and show other riders I’m MTFU’d’.

Thats when family, friends, sauna/gym/swim or other hobby comes in.

Binners, become a fair weather rider for a while- you’ll rediscover that kindle of enjoyment again.

takisawa2

Pretty good, about 8. We were saying the other night that we’ve got more mid-week night riding in this Winter than ever before, so looking forward to Spring. Building a 29er has contributed to the motivation though. Nothing like a new bike eh…
    Plumber, sounds spot on what your doing. I volunteered to fix-up the bikes that my lads school/nursery use. They actually have bike riding lessons…!!!

SiB
    Free Member

To go out and have a pootle around the local area when its not raining, 8.5.

To commute to work everyday, 6 (would be higher if work wasnt in the way).

When I actually get out there its normally a 9.82. Getting out the door is the hardest part.

Motivation to do some training for the Lakeland Loop on April 10th is about -2 therefore I’ve decided I’m not doing it, simple. Anyone want to buy a cut price registratin fee for the Lakeland Loop??

Rickos
    Free Member

Being ‘between jobs’ it’d be a bit of a sod if my mojo was down at 2 or 3. Luckily it’s around the 7 to 8 mark, but I think the Chameleon needs a ride next time I’m out.

Mid-week rides FTW!

oldgit
    Free Member

10+
    Thiking about the next ride keeps wr awake at night like a kid at Christmas.
    Tip, never look out the window.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

getting better as trails dry out

hora
    Free Member

What I don’t like is being sent the pics from the ride that I miss- the grins etc!

scaredypants

1-2

Riding mate has broken his thumb and he’s much keener than me. I’ve ridden maybe twice in 2011.
    Can’t be arsed ’til I see things drying out.
    Planning maybe a bit of roadrage in next week or 2 but suppose I’ll be on the mtb once a week when my mate’s riding again

LoCo
    Free Member

10 but too busy with work and baby, coffee/paperwork break now hence post 😮

somouk
    Free Member

Mines 10 + at the moment. I have to force myself to have rest days so I don’t over do it.

Don’t mind if I’m pounding miles on tarmac or rolling around the trails either at the moment, enjoying it all.

oldgit
    Free Member

Sean Kelly.
    Flahutes.
    And the phrase ‘play hard.
    All haunt me in moments of weekness.Seriously they do….I’m such a tit.

devs
    Free Member

9ish. Did 27 km in a blizzard last night for fun. That endomongo thing is making me go out more with the various challenges I’m in, it’s quite addictive. I think I’ve done 150km since Friday morning.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

About 1, and has been for a year or so. Seriously in the doldrums. Apart from riding to work in the week, I’m doing nowt. I need to buck my ideas up, or I’m going to end up looking like a weebl.

binners

chakaping – mailed you this morning mate. I don’t have a problem motivating myself for weekend rides. Just evening rides at the moment.

Hora’s meant to be out Saturday too. However, as you’ve no doubt gathered from his post, he doesn’t ‘do’ rain so that’ll be weather dependent. A jaunt round Rivi, or the option of Calderdale has been floated also

hora
    Free Member

Just explaining to peeps at work that they should go on a taster sesh for the velodrome 😀

billysugger
    Free Member

Guess it depends if you want to push yourself or not.

For me it’s exercise but it’s also about wanting to give up and not doing.

Round our way gyms are full of rock stars and pools are full of old people and p1ss.

Anyway I’m away the noo

chiefgrooveguru

10! Still recovering from a broken ankle and I can’t even tell myself the weather’s rubbish now…

ourmaninthenorth

Two weeks ago it hit 1. actually, zero – I let the Mrs pick me and the bike up from work.

i decided to have 10 days off. I’ve now had a heavy cold, earrache and bad chest since last weekend. That’s 2 weeks without riding.

It’s back at 8 and rising. Gottagetoutonthebloodybike

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

10 atm – me and two other women braved the rain and wind the other night for hill reps/race tactics. Have started to see good improvements in my riding so that’s helping with the motivation too.

portlyone

I’ll have to go for 11. High enough to drag others out kicking and screaming. The smiles soon come though.

chakaping
    Free Member

binners – only kidding, I have no doubt you’ll show up. I got yr mail ta – you sent it three times!

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘What's your motivation for riding like at the moment?’ is closed to new replies.