Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 164 total)
  • What's your most re-read book?
  • mrmoofo

Two books I have tried to re-read , as I am convinced I didn’t get them …
    On The Road – Jack Kerouac
    Catcher in the Rye

I still don’t get them … I am truly sorry to say think that Holden Caulfield was just a little shit ….

‘Bravo Two Zero’ by Andy McNabb, it actually improves with every read.

Thank you , Mr Partridge ….

cheese@4p

Slaughterhouse 5 – Vonnegut
    The Fan Man – Kotzwinkle
    Fear and Loathing – Thompson

sideshowdave
    Free Member

The road to Wigan pier & down and out in Paris and London by Eric Arthur Blair ( better know as George Orwell )

zzjabzz
    Free Member

The Stranger – Camus

stox
    Free Member

It’s an astonishing read isn’t it, three men all desperate to turn round and none of them willing to give up no matter how bad things got

It is. I can just re-read ‘the winter journey’ chapter over and over. It’s inspiring.

pondo

I quite like re-reading books, I think it’s because it’s safer than trying something new which is, I fear, to my own detriment. 🙁 Particular favourites are –
    The Dambusters, by Paul Brickhill – the first and still the best war story I’ve ever read, an incredible story cleverly told with gentle humour. He also wrote The Great Escape which is another corking read, if slightly different to the film.
    The Hour, by Michael Hutchinson – THE best book about cycling I’ve read, in the “finish it the first time, turn to page one and start again” category. Heavily loaded with information, laugh-out-loud funny.
    The Stand, and Different Seasons, by Stephen King – really enjoyed his earlier stuff when I was a lad, although he’s gone a bit overblown for my liking of late. Loved The Stand, just an immense world to immerse yourself in – and Different Seasons has the stories on which Shawshank redemption and Stand By Me were based. Fantastic novellas, and for my money the best writing he’s ever done.

leeodraper
    Free Member

-The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: A Trilogy in Five Parts
    -Dune
    -Duck in the Truck – My 3ry olds favourite.

seizednuts
    Free Member

Starship troopers,
    Fantastic and so much going on. Realy got the training down pat takes me back to my basic.
    Not with monsters and space obviously. Althought the drill sargent was a total bastard 😆

FOG

When I was a kid I had what I called ‘Sunday night’ books which were familiar stories I would reread before facing another crap week at school. As an adult? I still have loads that fall into this category anything by Ian M Banks or Jack Vance being favourites.
    What a great pity to lose Ian Banks, he seemed such a normal bloke but with extraordinary talent

franki
    Free Member

Got to be The Hobbit. I’ve read TLOTR a couple of times but lost count of how often I read the Hobbit, especially as a child.

In more recent years though, most likely one of Brian Lumley’s short story collections or Clive Barker’s Books Of Blood, followed by H.P. Lovecraft’s Omnibus series.
    Short stories are great when you’re short of time, so I tend to re-read them a lot.

camo16
    Free Member

I don’t re-read that often, but those I do form a particular pattern:

Jon Stewart – Naked Pictures of Famous People
    David Sedaris – Me Talk Pretty One Day
    Garrison Keiller – We Are Still Married/Radio Romance/Lake Wobegone Days
    Woody Allen – Without Feathers
    Groucho Marx – Beds, Memoirs of a Mangy Lover, Groucho & Me
    Steve Martin – Pure Drivel, Born Standing Up, Shopgirl, The Pleasure of My Company

seadog101

On Extended Wings – Diane Ackerman

An account of her struggles learning to fly light aircraft and getting her pilots licence. She’s a poet by trade, and the prose is fantastic.

DezB
    Free Member

On The Road – Jack Kerouac
    Catcher in the Rye

I still don’t get them

I thought On the Road was garbage!

DezB
    Free Member

ps. the best film ever of the best book ever, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, is on BBC1 tonight 🙂

camo16
    Free Member

+1

DezB is not only a fox – he has a discerning literary taste. That’s a proper power combo. 😉

z1ppy

I’ve tended to re-read everything I’ve enjoyed over the years, but I tend to speed read (skim?), I can easily miss details and pick it up the next time round, so enjoy them more the 2nd/3/4/10th time round.
    Stuff I re-read numerous times though include all the Iain M. Banks books, the Pratchett discworld, David Brins uplift saga (Neil Stephenson’s & China Mieville will be joining this list, as I’ve only just discovered ‘them’ [my loss]).

Though I’d guess what I’ve read the most time would be Asimov’s Robot and Foundation series – purely as they were around the longest & to be fair are brilliant.

DezB
    Free Member

Quite a catch, me.

camo16
    Free Member

Don’t I just know it, Dez. If you like jazz and long walks by moonlight, you’d be positively irresistable. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, sorry.. Dezzy Hates Jazz 🙁

camo16
    Free Member

Dammit!

messiah
    Free Member

An amazing life well lived.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Anything by Nevil Shute plus Touring Bikes by Tony Oliver.

beinbhan

Lord of the Rings about 20 times 😯

crankboy
    Free Member

Ian m banks
    William Gibson
    And guilty pleasures are
    David gemmel and Bernard Cornwall .

Marin
    Free Member

On the Road and Briideshead Revisited. No doubt accounting for lots of travelling and a love of fine wine. Made me the wreck I am today.

andytherocketeer

20 times

blimey.
    that’d take me about infinity years.
    still only half way thru the dvd boxset trilogy (must get thru the 2nd half before DVD becomes totally obsolete), edit: which should save me the effort of reading the books.

anagallis_arvensis

I expect it was a book from my youth, maybe Call of the Wild

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Probably on about my 8th re-reading now. Still amazes me.

gordimhor

Electric Brae by Andrew Greig …the man is infuriating he writes poetry non fiction thrillers romances but electric brae is where it all comes together best
    Also Homage to Catalonia and Burmese Days by Orwell and when I was a teenager Lord of the Rings

loum
    Free Member

PSA

for the other Cuckoo’s Nest fans

BBC1 @ 11:50 tonight.

Great book, great film.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Good thread, has bulked up my amazon wishlist!…

my entry would probably be a Joseph Connolly, probably SOS, Summer things or winter nights…

johndoh
    Free Member

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe (Adams)

Or

Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency

Or

Grapes of Wrath

Or

The Warriors (Sol Yurick)

Or

Weaveworld (Clive Barker)

Not sure which – read them all several times.

loddrik
    Free Member

bikebouy
    Free Member

Erm.
    Erm..
    Erm…
    I’ve never read a book more than once.

Do you have too much time on your hands?? 😆

Coyote
    Free Member

Often reread as I pick up stuff I missed first time through. Currently rereading The Passage by Justin Cronin, highly recommended, in preparation for reading The Twelve.

Probably most reread would be Michael Moorcock’s Eternal Champion series and Clive Barker’s Books of Blood. Read the LOTR a few times too.

mrmoofo

Good man ! But it inspired a generation apparently!

Loddrick – American Psycho . I absolutely hate that book. The film was 100 5 worse. And Less Than Zero is terrible.
    Brett Easton writes like a 16 year old who has never had sex but tells everyone he is a playa!

lazybike
    Free Member

marco
    Free Member

The song of Phaid the gambler by Mick Farren
    Would make an awesome movie

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Don’t often read books more than once, there’s too many books out there. Have read the following twice though;

Shantaram, Gregory Roberts
    Norwegian Wood, Murakami
    Desert Solitaire, Edward Abbey
    Master and Margarita, Bulgakov

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Only read The Alchemist once, but now I’ve just seen it up there ^, it will be the next book I’ll read. Thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 164 total)

The topic ‘What's your most re-read book?’ is closed to new replies.