Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Whats your local council wasteing money on………….
  • project
    Free Member

Cheshire west, have just moved across the road to a multi million pound office, complete with Hotel and restraunts etc,and sold their old office on paper to a univercity.

So what other councils have been wasteing cash,not fixing the roads it appears

mrmo
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

Mine are obsessed with cutting the grass verges. My garden is in a worse state. 😳

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Your fanatical compulsion to slag off the public sector really has become a complete obsession – hasn't it project ?

How do you cope with all that anger ?

Or don't you cope ?

luked2
    Free Member

Cambridgeshire Guided Busway!

Original estimate was about £120M. It's now up to £150M+.

Originally supposed to be in service April 2009.
    Then October 2009.
    Then spring 2010.
    Then a date would be announced at the end of April 2010.

So right now it's the world's most bizarre cycle track.

Amazing number of people use it though!

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Me 😆

Drac

So what other councils have been wasteing cash

English.

skidartist
    Free Member

How do you cope with all that anger ?

Project dwells in a bottomless pit of misanthropy. And not only is the pit bottomless, it doesn't have any sides either. If you think think this is bad, just mention Christmas.

grahamt1980

I found that they have built a little bmx / pump track in the local park.
    I'm happy just need to get down there when the kids are not about

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

Not my council but a few of my friends from Aberdeen are rather angry by the council's decision to concrete over the city gardens. As I understand it, it's rather under-used and not as pleasant as it could be, so Peacock Arts put forward a proposal that included revamping the gardens along with an arts centre. They got permission for this but the council has changed their mind and decided a plaza would be better.

I know very little about the details of the debate but was helpfully steered towards a (not unbiased) facts table: Union Terrace Gardens

All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not a councillor who has to make such decisions, and I'm glad I don't live in Aberdeen 😉

brakes
    Free Member

removing street furniture so that pedestrians can now cross the road without looking, wherever the f*** the want

Northwind

I'm impressed none of the edinburgh contingent has mentioned trams. Perhaps they're all stuck in traffic :mrgreen:

Jezkidd
    Free Member

Diversity training – for every member of staff: lunch included!!!!!!

theboatman
    Free Member

Mine waste it on free home care for the elderly and disabled, but can't see that lasting too long now.

If enough people post will project explode with rage 😯

skidartist
    Free Member

I want Project to smell the flowers. I'm stressed, depressed and anxious today, got that slightly electric feeling that I know means any attempt to sleep tonight will be fruitless, and tomorrow I'll be too tired to push anything to the resolution it requires. Its going to be a loooong night of too much to think about and no option to act. But I'm still more cheerful than Project is on any day of the week.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

My village parish council has spent £15k fighting a planning application, on flakey grounds & with little consequence for anyone in the long term really. Their charge on the council tax doubled this year, just to pay for that!

john_drummer
    Free Member

1) a hole in the ground
    2) trying to demolish a 1930s art deco landmark in favour of "hotel & office space"
    3) another hole in the ground

1 – Westfield
    2 – The Odeon
    3 – Park At The Heart

yes folks I bring you City of Bradford Metropolitan Council

I work in a council who shall remain nameless

coffee + tea + biscuits for 20 people from the staff canteen/building caterers etc for a meeting the other week

!!!!
    £45

!!!!!

omg

and they were shite biscuits n all!

EarlofBarnet
    Free Member

Cheshire west, have just moved across the road to a multi million pound office, complete with Hotel and restraunts etc,and sold their old office on paper to a univercity.

Is it not a PFI arrangement they've moved to?

Local authorities are going to go through some hard times (financially due to the new government) over the next few years so hopefully wasteful spending will be minimised.

richcc
    Free Member

Removing fly tipping, collecting rubbish, fixing potholes, helping people deal with redundancy, getting kids fostered and adopted, care of the elderly, reducing congestion, educating all the kids in the area, local regeneration, clearing up dog eggs and litter….

konabunny
    Free Member

coffee + tea + biscuits for 20 people from the staff canteen/building caterers etc for a meeting the other week – £45

Nothing compared the cost per hour of having 20 people sit around a table…

richcc
    Free Member

Project – what did YOUR councillor say when you complained about how YOUR council was wasting YOUR money? If you want them to do something, not do something or justify something to you then contact your councillor and speak to them – that's how local democracy works

CaptJon
    Free Member

My local council just spunked a load of money of reducing council tax bills.

ebygomm
    Free Member

We're no longer allowed to have biscuits at meetings as a cost saving measure. 🙁

bassspine
    Free Member

filling in sh1tloads of potholes
    some A1 resurfacing going on around here too – Tour of Britain route getting prime asphalt
    paying me to train children to ride their bikes safely on the roads

{and 45quid for tea'n'biscuits for 20 people is a sickening £2.25 each – wooeee big deal}

jam-bo

a pump track and dirt jumps about 500yds from my house. w00p!!!!

spooky_b329

Round here, it seems the Nimby residents are a big drain. We make rubbish, the landfill is full, we are paying to export said rubbish, they can't find a new landfill (understandable, who wants a landfill site near their village) so they are building an incinerator. I can see it from my house, not that it bothers me much. Be some much needed employment. But all the protesting, miss-informed residents have cost the council several million in legal/defence costs. Its pathetic when most of the houses displaying posters don't even bother using their recycling boxes.

richcc
    Free Member

Forgot to say too. If you don't like the answer you get from your councillor, and don't think your friends and neighbours like the answer either then stand as a councillor yourself – if you get elected them you get an even more direct say in what happens. If you don't want to get that involved then ring them up and ask when the next budget consultation meeting is and go along and have your say there.

Probably the least effective way of Influencing the actions of your council is to mumble into your beard on a mountain bike forum

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

my council is currently sand blasting several street, including mine.
    This comes after their attempt in 2005 to demolish the same streets saying they were unfit for human habitation, and were all vacent.

When the residents all turned up to tell the F off, the council quickly backed down (after spending over £1,000,000 on consultancy fees in drawing up the scheme. It was shown their survey report was flawed, cherry picked from a much wider area, and in the 400 houses due to be demolished only 4 were then vacent, with 3 of those being renovated, and the 4th – the occupent had recently died.

So now they wanted to sand blast the fronts, paint the window sills, RWP and soil pipes black, and replace the gutters.

I told them my house was sandblasted before we moved in and therefore didnt need it doing twice, i didnt want my window sills painted, my pipes where already black, and my gutter was perfectly fine, as was the rest of the street. and that really there was better the council could be doing than inconcequental work to private homes.
    so in terms of waste – £1m on a daft scheme they couldnt afford to carry out, and the next a £1.2m scheme to carry out unneededasthetic works to private homes.

oh and the council have moved offices several times of the last few years depending on which local landlord is in current favour.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My local pavements were replaced with prettier ones.

They were then immediately dug up for work on services…

Complaining about Councils =/- rocket sceince, and they do do some good work.

tron
    Free Member

Mine are obsessed with cutting the grass verges.

A lot of councils pay the blokes who mow on piece rates. So the verges and parks get mown every 15 minutes. It doesn't change as that means upsetting the union 😀

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Mine (Knowsley) had a recent obsession with road cleaning, but as someone pointed out it was close to the end of financial year, so maybe they had a budget to spend:
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-a-waste-of-council-tax-money

Seen a streetsweeper wagon on the estate once since.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the b@stards are educating my children hopefully this will include spelling 🙄 …the people they employ teachers – every single public sector worker is lazy and causes cancer FACT – I read it in the dail Mail- sometimes buy them ice lollies when it is hot out of their own money…boils my pi55 that my your taxes are wasted on this kind of cr@p. They are my kids if I cannot afford to dsend them to private school I apologise to you all that you have to subsidise the seeds of my loins.

A lot of councils pay the blokes who mow on piece rates

Evidence as I call BS

project
    Free Member

Some good responces there, about the blatant waste of cash, and some rather silly frivolous responces, but in the end we all pay for council waste and in efficency.

Strangely yje councils have a duty under law to maintain and keep the roads clear, they dont need new offices,new desks and car parks dedicated to them selves,theyre just empire building at the cost to us the council tax payer.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So what other councils have been wasteing cash,not fixing the roads it appears

restraunts
    univercity
    wasteing

3 spelling mistakes…..

It seems your local council are doing rather well and have identified the need to spend more on their residents’ education! 😯

spooky_b329

Ooh, another one in defence of the council. They started to build a small pedestrian refuge on the main road just round the corner. Residents complained as council had forgotten to dot the i's or something on their plans, and an elderly lady complained that her taxi now had to stop outside her neighbours house rather than at her doorstep as otherwise it blocked the traffic.

So the island got flattened (it was only and 1×2 metres) and then the following year someone got killed as they crossed the road in the same place. Blind dips at both ends of the road with three side roads so if you can't jog across you just cross your fingers.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Swindon. enough said really.

crispy
    Free Member

My Council's saving an estimated 200 million in the next three years, whilst still managing the list of activities mentioned by richcc.

I think they're doing rather well, actually. Not an easy time for local bodies at the moment.

headfirst
    Free Member

On the local radio station yesterday they were celebrating that Leeds City Council had won an award at the Chelsea Flower Show for their show garden…WTF?!

funkynick

It appears one of my local ones wants to build a velodrome…

Damn them and their plans to make me spend even more money and buy a track bike!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Whats your local council wasteing money on………….’ is closed to new replies.