Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Whats your least favourite bit of bike kit?
  • Premier Icon ayjaydoubleyou
    Free Member

What constantly needs replacing/repairing/fettling; or what do you keep trying to find the alternatives for, desperately searching for that special feeling that never comes.

Chainguides, flat pedals, hope tech enduro rims for me

Premier Icon endoverend

Suspension.

Premier Icon winston
    Free Member

Wheel bearings

Narrow wide chainrings

Bib Tighst/shorts

Crank Bros cleats

Premier Icon sharkattack
    Free Member

Almost all brakes are a massive let down in terms of build quality, consistency and longevity.

I’ve settled on Hope as the least worst option but although the function perfectly I wish they had a bit more oomph.

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

Suspension.

I’d say this or gears.

They just don’t spark joy. I have bikes with both but i never have the most fun on them.

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

Five Ten shoes.

Premier Icon DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Anything designed to be ridden off road that doesn’t have loads of gears or masses of suspension.

Premier Icon thepurist

I absolutely HATE buying tyres. I don’t want super gravity enduro jobs that weigh as much as my bike, and I don’t want treadless paper thin race jobs that won’t work in the winter. Just inbetweeny round black knobbly tyres that will work fine in most conditions. Currently my task is to find new boots for my winter bike, and it’s 26″ for extra reduction in available options. I just lose the will to live every time I start looking.

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Free Member

Clipless shoes. Why does no one make shoes that are actually shaped like feet?

Premier Icon Garry_Lager

Disk brakes on my main cross bike are miserable. Just need to grasp the nettle and lash the calipers in the bin I think.

The complete opposite of the drivetrain – which keeps turning regardless in the quagmire of a race, the brakes get put out, start squealing, by a stiff breeze.

Premier Icon deanfbm
    Free Member

Pedals/shoes, flats aren’t perfect, clipless aren’t perfect, fundamentally just don’t make sense to me and don’t feel “right”.
    The analogy i make is hands on your grips, you can quite easily get to a happy place in terms of comfort, getting to a good position and repositioning without much effort and thought, feet on the pedals just don’t work.

Premier Icon weeksy

Pedals. Still not found any I really like more than my Wello b54 which no longer exist but fail to die

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk

Yep, disc brakes for me, haven’t owned a set yet which I’ve been able to tolerate on wet roads, I don’t brake heavily or frequently so whenever I do try to slow down it’s accompanied by deafening howling. Also I always seem to end up with wibbles jn rotors and self adjusting callipers which inevitably means annoying rubs, not what you want on a road bike.

I’ve actually ended up with old school cantilevers on my gravel bike now, great pad clearance, no squeeling, bliss.

So yeah, any disc manufacturer who promises silent braking in the wet (and ideally pads that don’t get contaminated by road spray) can have my money!

Premier Icon finephilly
    Free Member

Getting Disc brakes running without rubbing or disintegrating is hard, Shimano FTW though

Premier Icon lunge

@weeksy, try the Shimano GR500. Not identical, but as close as I’ve found and they work well.

Premier Icon enigmas
    Free Member

Sram eagle mechs. Flimsy, finicky and the jockey wheels seize at the slightest hint of water.

Camelbak bladders that are mega faffy to fit back into the backpack.

Shoes with laces. When gunked up they are a pain to adjust. Why flat pedal shoes aren’t all boa laces yet is beyond me.

Premier Icon mudeverywhere
    Free Member

I do seem to be spending more time fiddling with gears these days. Back in the good old days I had several 10speed set ups that never needed touching until something wore out. Still think 10 speed Shimano shifters were the best.

Cleats. Takes ages to get the position and float how I want.

Hardly ever happy with the seat tube angle. Either it’s too slack and feels like I’m falling off the back or if steeper it makes the cockpit too short and I feel perched up on top.

Back packs, even the best of them. Don’t want any weight on my back. As I don’t wear one often it throws my balance off when I do.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

Pedals, but more specifically a pair that don’t chew up their bushings. I can find ones that suit my feet no problem but I always seem to kill bushings, even on models that others have no issues with.

Premier Icon argee

Not much i struggle with, if anything it would be headset bearings on newer style bikes, they seem to like cheap and badly protected bearings these days, had to replace two this year, one on a bike that was a month old, wych and kinetic bearings must make a killing with the new stuff these days!

Premier Icon hardtailonly

Pannier rack & mudguards on the commuter. Just sucks the life out of the bike, makes it cumbersome & rattly even without the panniers attached.

Premier Icon singletun
    Free Member

Me, I’m the worst part of my bike)

Premier Icon garage-dweller

Come on! All these answers and not one of you has come up with pressfit bottom bracket.

I also deeply sympathise on the 26″ just going for a ride tyres problem.

Premier Icon DezB

Shorts and saddles. I’ve yet to find any that don’t make my arse sore after a couple of hours. How people do all day/100milers I just don’t know. I wouldn’t be able to sit for a month.

Premier Icon singletun
    Free Member

Efa any bags etc, carrying stuff that Spoils handling.

Premier Icon Daffy

Honestly nothing that could be considered chronic. DI2 gears so can be adjusted perfectly in seconds if required, everything running on CK bearings, so nothing to worry about there and Hope brakes all round. Yes if the brakes are sipping wet they squeal for the first 2 seconds but are back to silence after that.

My bikes are silent in operation unless something is failing. I do have a CK PF30 that could do with a regrease, but can’t get the injector for love nor money.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Disc brake pads. Not found the right ones yet

Premier Icon oreetmon
    Free Member

SRAM rival brakes and drive train, I have never had as many frequent problems… and people rave about the Overpriced tat.

Thankfully now replaced with proper Shimano stuff.

Premier Icon Hob-Nob
    Free Member

SRAM Eagle rear mechs. If the jockey wheels don’t seize, they have a habit of dropping the chain, which jams and causes it to explode if you’re really lucky, smash into the frame, damaging it.

And in the unlikely event of none of the above happening, the clutch will fail in a few months.

Premier Icon sheck

Riding glasses… I really struggle to set them up so they don’t fog up when climbing and then rattle against my helmet on descents. Daily application of anti-mist helps, but I don’t always remember. Worst thing about riding at this time of year

Premier Icon eddiebaby

Endura MT500 clothes. Consistently fail to be any use after 6 months.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Chain. It is the only thing I have to maintain riding a bike with no gears or brakes.

Premier Icon wordnumb
    Free Member

Spokes, just because it’s becoming difficult to get what I want.

Premier Icon gkeeffe

Flat pedals esp bushings. Cheap headset bearings. I had CK on the last bike, lasted for ever now they last a month.

Premier Icon kayla1

Rear Mudhugger. Yes, they work brilliantly but it’s not just the fact they’re ugly it’s that fitting one heralds the darker nights and winter slopfest 🙁

Premier Icon epicyclo

Tubes.

I used to go for over a year between punctures. Nothing has changed in the way I fit tyres, I always check my pressures before going on a ride, and I’m careful where I aim my bike.

Yet despite that I seem to get a flat about once a month now. It usually manifests itself after a ride as the tyre slowly deflates in the shed.

I don’t cheapskate on my tubes, but I’m beginning to suspect the major manufacturers are doing that and selling them as quality.

It’s almost enough to tempt me into tubeless.

Premier Icon stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Pf bottom brackets. Even spending more to get a wheels one its my shan’s achilies heel. Always feels like its binding or creaking.

Also crap grips. Touch points are so important !!

Premier Icon monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Locks…..flippin nuisance and more weight on me/ my bike.Plus the good ones weigh a ton.

Premier Icon belugabob
    Free Member

…the engine – it’s bloody pathetic…

😉

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nothing really?.

I can’t think of a single component on my MTB that gives me bother, suppose I’ve just worked out over the years what kit works for me.

At a push, my WTB i29 rims are a bit cheese like and have taken a bit of reforming, but they’re 3.5 years old now and have taken a fair bit of abuse!.

Premier Icon akira

The bits which have bolts places in such a way that you can’t get an Allen key to them. These parts are clearly designed by someone, so why can’t they make them easy to get to.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.