What's your least favourite bike maintenance task?

Home Forum Bike Forum What's your least favourite bike maintenance task?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • What's your least favourite bike maintenance task?
  • Spin

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarg!

F-ing mudguards!

To add insult to injury I’ve got a set of juicy 5’s needing bled.

rob jackson

needing to be bled

rossi46

Pumping bloody tyres up- especially when youre the shop mechanic and youre on your 45th poxy tyre!!

coogan

Mudguards? People use them?

Washing the thing.

Spin

needing to be bled

I too am a pedant at heart but through will power I have triumphed over it. Would you like some tips?

teasel

Fork service. Generally clamped in the stand and the oil, no matter how hard I try to persuade it otherwise, goes absolutely everywhere…

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

“needing bleeding” – it’s more poetic.

Spin

Wet arses? People like them?

FTFY

relliott6879

Bleeding brakes (especially after the debacle my friend and I endured the other day) and indexing rear mechs. No matter how many how-to guides I attempt to follow to the letter, I never seem to be able to get it spot on.

trail_rat

Washing the mrs bike – and fault finding 3 weeks after the fault appeared but not wanting to bother me – till its become thats **** buy anew one !

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

Changing tyres (messy with tubeless), bleeding brakes, finding a creak.

Most rewarding – cleaning and (now I have learned) building wheels!
    πŸ˜€

thomthumb

canti brakes! bloody awful.

monkeyboyjc

bleeding brakes

andypaul99

anything to do with brakes apart from changing pads

Buying the bits!

I love working on my bike almost as much as I like riding.

MrsMugsy

well, to all of you loving to bleed brakes, a question :

How come after bleeding my hope mono minis the other night, they still feel like there isn’t enough fluid in them ? i.e the lever has to be pressed almost as far as the handlebar.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Bleeding juicy’s.

MarkyG82

@ Mrs mugsy:

Look up the rolling diaphragm video on the hope site. Touch messy but did the trick for me.

kudos100

Washing the bike.

Wrenching I don’t mind, unless it goes wrong. And then I hate it and want to smash the bike into little bits. This normally happens the morning of a ride.

GregMay

Putting heli-tape on my frame. More so, pealing heli-tape off the backing. It had me wanting to punch people in the face earlier today.

dan1980

Fettling gears, always a pain in the rectum, and I end up leaving them in a “that’ll do” state and swearing half way round the ride as the gears are jumping around like a kangaroo on acid.

Bleeding juicies/formula brakes is a doddle, and I really don’t get why so many people seem to have problems doing it.

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Most of them tbh. I used to put it down to living in a flat and having no space. I now live in a house and have loads of space and some stuff still does my swede in.
    A brake bleed is a hassle but at least it’s usually cut and dried. I’d say getting a drivetrain sorted where 1 or more parts are getting a bit worn (the usual situation). Rarely sort these out properly – get it more or less acceptable and leave it at that.

yunki

+1 fettling gears πŸ™

Crag

Changing a middle chainring is always a right PITA.

Trimix

I love the maintenance jobs on my bike – all of them. Easy and simple and well made.

On older bikes Ive had I hated cup and cone hubs – shite things that never could be adjusted. Also early cable brakes and pads that never line up and wear unevenly.

We are quite lucky now with manintenence jobs being much eaiser and youtube to help.

Any thing to do with sorting out rubbing discs/pads πŸ™„

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Front mech setup, gaaaaah. Everything else, I actually like.

PJM1974

Hmmm…definitely stripping suspension. That really sucks on an “oh my God, I’m going to slip and score/round something expensive” sort of a level. Then it’s the habitual chain cleaning duties and sorting out the bikes for the rest of the tribe. Between us all we have seven bikes…

rwc03

Front mech, had to get a low clamp for the new Titus frame and it took me about an hour to get it about right

trevh

re indexing the gears fettled 2 hours yesterday and still bloody jumping. now doing a service on the car or building and setting up a computer no problem but i can never get the gears right Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

bencooper

Replacing an inner tube when the owner hasn’t bothered to clean the dog muck off the tyre. I’m so glad I don’t do repairs much any more πŸ™‚

Apart from that, all fettling is good.

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

Paying the bloke when I collect it.

robhughes

Hate setting up rear gears but love bleeding brakes..Just bled some juicy 5,s…No problem πŸ˜†

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

Rob, we need to talk. Love setting up gears, hate bleeding brakes.

In fact I am a wizard with v-brakes / cantis. Just hydraulics I cannot get on with.

Commuter bikes with hydro disk brakes.. Guaranteed messed up, corroded, stuck pistons etc etc..

But the worst job absolutely of all is trying to explain this to the clueless customer..

“Yes sir, on top of your **** chain, cassette, chainrings and front mech, we’re going to need to rebuild your hayes/avid brakes at great cost to you..”

“But when you sold me the bike you told me it was a good one.”

“Yes sir, but you decided to ignore the scrapey-wapey noises for the last 8 months, not change the front gear since you bought it, and never, it seems, oil the chain..”

“Well, can you half fix it for less?”

“**** off, sir.”

rossi46

But the worst job absolutely of all is trying to explain this to the clueless customer..

Ah yes- the customer is always right πŸ™„
    How i’d love to slap some of them with a wet kipper πŸ˜†

mrlebowski

Commuter bikes with hydro disk brakes.. Guaranteed messed up, corroded, stuck pistons etc etc..

“Yes sir, on top of your **** chain, cassette, chainrings and front mech, we’re going to need to rebuild your hayes/avid brakes at great cost to you..”

“But when you sold me the bike you told me it was a good one.”

“Yes sir, but you decided to ignore the scrapey-wapey noises for the last 8 months, not change the front gear since you bought it, and never, it seems, oil the chain..”

“Well, can you half fix it for less?”

“**** off, sir.”

Sheer poetry..

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

F-ing mudguards!

I think “F-ing” a mudguard might not actually count as a maintenance task, more the sort of thing that gets a chap an unwanted reputation…

JImmAwelon

front mech

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘What's your least favourite bike maintenance task?’ is closed to new replies.