Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • What's your intrusive unwanted thoughts?
  • vickypea
    Free Member

I get morbid ones when I’m feeling depressed. On a lighter note, when I was a kid I used to get an urge to jump up in the middle of assembly in the school hall and shout and swear!

slowoldman

I’ve got a really long kitchen knife, I can be having a lovely normal conversation with someone. drinking wine, chopping an onion while all the time thinking about driving it between their shoulder blades or into thier tummy…

Oh well yes, that of course.

onlysteel
    Free Member

I recognise too many of these for comfort. The knife one particularly disturbs me.

butcher

jumping off a tall building / bridge.

I think the urge to jump off stuff is quite a common one. I’m uncomfortable staying anywhere with a balcony or open window. Fine most of the time…but then I think, what if I got really drunk and lost all inhibitions?

I get a few of the to some degree to be fair. It’s an anxiety/OCD thing.

milky1980
    Free Member

Jumping off the side of buildings/bridges/cliffs is a regular one.

I think the view on the way down would be calming 😆 😯

I’ve got dozens if not hundreds. Typically I get a flash-back of something I did that was embarrassing and caused me anxiety at the time. It could be 5 years ago or 30, they come out of nowhere and cause me to shudder and sometimes say odd words. It’s weird.

Another one who does that 😀

The urge to slap my boss is a regular one. But that’s more to do with her being a complete moron.

DezB
    Free Member

Brilliant! My brother and I call this “Thought tourettes”, we get it all the time! Didn’t realise it was so common.
    Just today I passed this twonk from work in the corridor and vividly pictured myself punching him in the side of the head 😆
    So many, always in meetings, telling the boss to just F of – not so much in this job, cos the boss is a good bloke (so good we don’t have many meetings)!

singletrackmind

Have you also just finished reading ‘Defender’ by GX Todd?????

As its all about the voices inside your head telling you to do bad things to yourself or other people. Its on offer in Tesco just now as well.

Sort of a mix of Book of Eli , and The happening

stumpy01

Northwind – Member

The other one is so bad I can barely even type it but, trypophobia. It’s like a divide by zero error for my brain, as soon as I get the idea or the image in there it absolutely destroys me- I’m really carefully skirting around thinking about it just now and now I’m going to put some effort into thinking about other things so it can’t sneak in.

Not gonna Google the name, but pretty sure I get this too. And once thought of, I end up in an endless loop of trying not to think about it but being unable to. Grim.

BillMC

Getting to the top of a climb in Stoney Middleton, coiling up the rope and then just wanting to experience travelling through that space. I was there once when a bloke fell from the top. He landed in a bush (big noise), got up and walked away holding his back saying ‘f me’. Absolutely astonishing.
    These days it’s the reverse, this week I struggled to look over the edge when walking over the Tate Modern’s turbine hall.

enfht
    Free Member

Throwing people I despise out of my helicopter, currently thwarted by not owning a helicopter but I’ve compiled a long waiting list.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Driving into a bridge abutment at full spéed with my eyes closed.

sirromj

I quite often fancy riding off the sea wall either into the sea where I’ll drown or onto the rocks where I’d just hurt myself quite badly and lay there crumpled almost out of sight beneath the sea wall for a few hours until spotted by a passer by.

Thanks evolution for the survival instinct 😀

greentricky
    Free Member

No one else feel the urge to stand way too close to the platform edge when a train is passing through?

cheekyboy
    Free Member

When someone is telling me something I sometimes get a strong urge to tell them to **** off you boring sad ****, this urge is intensified the more I like the person talking.

Gunz
    Free Member

I get the urge to shout out really bad insults at the top of my lungs, including those of a racist or homophobic nature. I’m not either of those abhorrent things but I feel I just want to revel in the shocked silence that would follow.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Jumping off moving ships into the sea.

I try to stay inside.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yup in serious meetings with customers / directors talking about leveraging synergistic unicorns for ringfencing I get the strong urge to go all falling down and start punching things.

Sometimes I get the urge to start asking highly irrelevant questions out of context..for example, How their weekend was…. If they really think all this rubbish we are discussing matters in life and will that bell end over in the corner just shut the flip up.

Also the jumping off things one…. I think that’s quite common.

johndoh
    Free Member

All of the above at some point, especially the kitchen knife one.

Also eating raw chicken – barely a meal preparation goes by without my wanting to try it.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

When going down hill on the road bike I wonder what would it be like if the forks snapped or the front wheel failed or came out of the dropouts . Often I try to keep my mouth closed so that my teeth maybe wouldn’t get knocked out and I look for soft landings which generally don’t exist . Nothing has ever happened like that in over 35 years of cycling .

dawson

I have one and I have no idea where it has come from. It involves me driving on the motorway, undo-ing my seatbelt, opening the car door and me just rolling out the side of the moving car.

It worries me as I have never been diagnosed as depressed/suicidal, but at what point do people decide that these thoughts are more than idle curiosity and decide you actually need to seek help…

mark d
    Free Member

OK, so I’m not alone.
    Told my girlfriend recently that although I loved our little weekends away to Paris/ New York etc ( in our early years before kids) at the top of every building I fantasised about just jumping.
    Every train or tube journey, every day; it still comes into my mind to step off the platform.
    Even now with kids, It is still there.
    Im not going to do anything, especially now that I have kids, but I will always look over the top of the central staircase in a tall hotel and just think….
    Same as Dawson, I as a passenger though, for many years, just want to jump out of the passenger seat and just be alone

hols2
    Free Member

The movie theatre scene from episode 5 of The Deuce.

DrJ

Voting for Brexit ?

pondo

“I bet I could kick that pigeon/cat/dog/small child a good thirty yards”.

senorj

Self destructive ones & the wish to disappear, rude & ignorant people.

ElShalimo

I’m very surprised nobody has mentioned getting jiggy with an in-law or colleague

Kryton57

I often have “disaster” thoughts/dreams/daydreams which leave me very scared.

And then googling all that last night leads me to believe I have paranoid personality disorder, which doesn’t surprise me at all what with my anxieties and constant anticipation of criticism on here, and my – as quoted by Mrs K – thoroughly defensive and isolate attitude to life.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Note to self ..if any of the above suggest a group ride ..politely decline !

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m very surprised nobody has mentioned getting jiggy with an in-law or colleague

The thread is about ‘intrusive & unwanted’ thoughts, not fantasies. Pervert. 😉

johndoh
    Free Member

And back on track…

Jumping from a chairlift (yes, you can have my bike).

metcalt

The other one that occurs to me is when I was in freefall down a railway bank (tried to ride it and got kicked otb at the top by a hidden stump). For some reason this was the moment I remembered that I hadn’t bought any mayonnaise when I was doing the shopping that morning

And you didn’t immediately fly up into the air? I think Douglas Adams may have been telling fibs.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

It’s not just me then………

It just pops into my head every now and again. Caving my work colleagues head in with a hammer whilst he’s leaning down looking at something……

Why?

Emergency Exit door on a plane, that big red handle, soooo tempting at 30,000ft.

tomhoward

No one else feel the urge to stand way too close to the platform edge when a train is passing through?

The promise of being sucked off does make it very tempting…

wallop

M5 over the Avonmouth bridge. There’s no way that those barriers would stop a car at 70mph, 80, 90…

That’s what goes through my mind too – when I’m cycling across it… All it would take is a quick, mindless swerve by a lorry and I’d be toast.

Stevet1
    Free Member

johndoh
    Free Member

Then there’s the emergency pull cord on a train too…

nickhit3
    Free Member

The promise of being sucked off does make it very tempting…

😀

DezB
    Free Member

When going down hill on the road bike I wonder what would it be like if the forks snapped

Every damn day! Out of work, turn left, downhill… even more so now that your post will go through my head!

doris5000

I get a flash-back of something I did that was embarrassing and caused me anxiety at the time. It could be 5 years ago or 30, they come out of nowhere and cause me to shudder and sometimes say odd words.

yeah this. I have a couple in particular, they’re not even that bad really (probably more a reflection of my mental health back then) that can still stop me in my tracks, wincing, almost tearful, biting my fist 20 years later 😐

also:

what would it be like if a lorry ran over my foot? how much would it hurt? If it was going quickly. A lot? Broken bones? Completely crushed? Or maybe the rubber tyre would cushion it? I could try it, just stick my foot out now. Bit dangerous though. Wouldn’t really want all 6 wheels going over it either. But what would it be like?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

M5 over the Avonmouth bridge. There’s no way that those barriers would stop a car at 70mph, 80, 90…

someone tried that on the Humber Bridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzGX36Lbg-Y

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘What's your intrusive unwanted thoughts?’ is closed to new replies.