Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • What's your ideal stem length?
  • lmow20
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’d like to know your stories wrt stem length. Currently got a 80mm which I’d like to change for a 35 – 50mm

Is anyone out of the mind that this is an error. It’s a hardtail 26″. What are the drawbacks of a short stem (if any?) My particular frame has a slightly longer than normal top tube too.

drofluf
    Free Member

Depends on the bike….

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve got a 65mm stem on having previously had a 50mm, that’s with my 760mm bars. The bike originally came with 680mm bars and 90mm stem but that felt far too narrow and long

but as said above it depends on the bike and the rider, there’s no golden rule unfortunately you may need to experiment a bit

amedias
    Free Member

Between 110mm and 55mm depending on the bike and what bars I’m running.

sorry that’s not helpful.

khani
    Free Member

One one bike it’s 90mm, on another it’s 80mm and on the other it’s 70mm
    So as above ^^^ it depends on the bike..

njee20
    Free Member

Stories about stem length?! Eh!

90 on the MTB. 100 on the road bikes.

warpcow
    Free Member

Judging by the bikes I have now, 100mm, or 90, or maybe 60 that occasionally gets changed to 50. All of them have been chopped and changed to find out if that was the right one for that bike, so go ahead and try a 50mm, but it might not be right.

Rorschach
    Free Member

50,60,90,100,110 and 120mm hth.

atlaz
    Free Member

100mm road, 60mm MTB but I got told by my mates that my 60mm stem was SO long that my bike would be really improved by getting a shorter one. I haven’t bothered.

Northwind

Totally depends on the bike. But 50mm on both of my mtbs.

plyphon
    Free Member

Story? I’ll tell you a story all right.

I once had a longer stem that I swapped for a shorter stem.

chakaping
    Free Member

Stories about stem length?! Eh!

Did you consider that English may not be the OP’s first language, Mr Tact?

In answer to the question…

I like 45mm, with a 750mm to 780mm bar. Assuming bike has a top tube that’s a tad longer than traditional, as described.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

As others say it depends on the bike and reach but I run a 35mm stem on my main MTB.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I went from, 70mm medium frame to 45mm large frame
    Works really well

fathomer

70mm on both mtb’s, one with 750mm bars the other 740mm. 120mm on both road bikes even though I don’t think your asking that!

xcretro
    Free Member

120mm with 640 bars, I dont have any problems weaving in and out of tight trees and bushes.

chakaping
    Free Member

By name and by nature eh, xcretro?

😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I think my sweet spot is 60mm

lilchris
    Free Member

About this long.
    HTH

lmow20
    Free Member

Super, cheers folks. 40mm it is I think, get a second hand one . Thanks for posting

goldenwonder
    Free Member

between 50mm & 110mm depending on the bike.
    50mm on the #duro bike
    90mm on the xc bike
    100mm on the cx
    110mm on the road bike.

Solo
    Free Member

What’s your ideal stem length?

27%

seosamh77
    Free Member

The one that came with the bike. I bought a bike that fitted me! 😆

Stevet1
    Free Member

I keep swapping between a 40mm and a 50mm, can’t decide which is best for me. Steve Peat and minaaaaar both run 60mm so that means 60mm must be best overall though.

Northwind

Stevet1 – Member

I keep swapping between a 40mm and a 50mm, can’t decide which is best. Steve Peat and minaaaaar both run 60mm so that means 60mm much be best though.

I think they both do that because Santa Cruz don’t make a bike that fits them, tbh

spawnofyorkshire

I run a 130mm on my road bike, but that’s also because my body shape matches this dude

deviant
    Free Member

35mm on the MTB, shorter the better as I like the position it puts me in, I hate feeling like I’m over the front wheel on a MTB.
    I like to be very much behind the forks.

steve_b77
    Free Member

XC HT 90mm flipped, XC FS 90mm flipped, Rigid Wonder 80mm not flipped and Road 100mm flipped

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

Lots of talk on here about stem length with regard to the “reach” it gives you, but nothing about how that shorter/longer stem affects how the steering changes in feel and speed ❓ .

I’ve found that too short a stem makes the steering much too light and twitchy for me, although you do get a bit more used to it after a while. It’s all a compromise between reach and steering feel. The fork offset makes a difference as well, so the ideal stem length for one bike may feel crap on another……….

mattjg
    Free Member

about 50mm, maybe less, for me

@OP just scrounge a few off your mates or get cheapies off ebay, and try a few. It’s a process not a decision.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Was 50mm when it was fashionable but now it’s 35mm ‘coz I’m trendy.

mattjg
    Free Member

& for the record, once and for all, stem length is about handling not fit. There is no one right ‘fit’ on a mountain bike there is a range.

dudeofdoom

Funny enough fitted a 50mm stem on my Titus FTM weekend after running a 120….and loving it..
    Made the front a lot more chuckable.

I think I’ll be trying the wide handlebars next.

Trouble with this fine tuning that its addictive but once you’ve hit the sweet spot you get what people are
    on about having the bike dialled in.

noteeth
    Free Member

Still running a 120 mm stem on my Bontrager.

Anything else would be wrong. 😀

discoduck
    Free Member

I’m running a 60mm on a Nomad, Renthal wide bars and it suits fine,

jamj1974

Always shorter than I think…

kayak23

Depends on the vase.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘What's your ideal stem length?’ is closed to new replies.