Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • What's your heresy?
  • SaxonRider

I find Douglas Adams’ writing insufferable. I read the whole ‘Hitchikers Guide’ and, even back in the day, didn’t find his stuff funny.

Now, as with so many English intellectuals/artists/comedians, I see in his work a hint of self-satisfaction.

I’m definitely NOT asking if people agree with me; it would be interesting to know, however, what you like or don’t like that goes against consensus.

So, what’s your heresy?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Terry Pratchett. Just….not funny. At all.

perchypanther
    Free Member

also Pink Floyd – Self indulgent twaddle.

I’ve tried to like it. I really have.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I like riding mountain bikes.

ton

food critics. I will eat and cook whatever I want, however I want.

kimbers

my favourite heresy
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krwFiTZjEAY[/video]

sbob
    Free Member

I wear red and green outside of the Christmas season.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i thought Bladerunner was a bit rubbish…

(nothing much happens for 3 and half hours, Rutger Hauer goes off on one at the end)

user-removed
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/4wMQz3iJDzE[/video]

binners

CaptainFlashheart – Member

We don’t want your sort around here. OUT!

Dickyboy

VW combi’s, parents had a split screen back in the sixties/ early 70’s, what a god awful vehicle, it’s only redeeming feature being that it was better than the 2 x reliant robins they replaced it with.

perchypanther
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

What? In those shoes?

doris5000

bloody Star Wars. It’s a fun kids’ film, not flipping Tolstoy.

Coyote
    Free Member

I thought Reservoir Dogs was a bit shit.

Never seen the fuss about Bladerunner.

I like Coldplay.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Pink Floyd
    Led Zeppelin
    The Matrix
    Star Wars

Edited to add:
    Little Britain

molgrips
    Free Member

SaxonRider – the Dirk Gently books are better from Adams, he’s much older by that time and it shows.

My heresy is that I might actually prefer riding with a rucksack than having stuff on my bike.

Oh and Prince – never got his music at all, just seemed totally naff to me. Obviously sad to have died early of course but I honestly have no idea why people praised the music so highly.

Pyro

While I do like Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett, there’s a whole sort of genre of comedy I hate, that just makes me uncomfortable and twitchy: The humour that’s based on exaggeration of character traits and inevitable, predictable outcomes. Hence, I can’t stand whole swathes of modern comedy, from Alan Partridge, through The Office and The Inbetweeners, to Mrs Brown, not to say stuff like Arrested Development and Parks & Rec that my other half loves. It’s not funny to me, it’s just irritating…

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Bladerunner – not that good
    Pink Floyd – not that good
    Star Wars – not for adults
    Jay Z – not that good

scud
    Free Member

Radiohead….supposed to be one of the greatest bands, but i just hear some clever musical noodling with what sounds like a cat being castrated wailing over the top..

Love the Radiodread album though

IHN

The following are terrible:

Withnail and I
    Pink Floyd
    Trail centres

molgrips
    Free Member

i just hear some clever musical noodling with what sounds like a cat being castrated wailing over the top

Yeah generally but The Bends album is the only one that’s got some proper tunes on it.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Whisky. At least twice a year I try to drink whisky and enjoy it.

Still don’t get it.

bearnecessities

Kylie.

There, I’ve said it.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I thought the same about Whisky until I learnt how to drink it. Get decent stuff, add a tiny bit of water and sip it, don’t knock it back like a cowboy.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1te_miu5I[/video]

jekkyl

I don’t like ‘the broons’ – all the stories revolve around one of them mishearing or misinterpreting what another member of the family has said and then a whole story erupts from that misinterpretation. Before it’s all resolved and they go for a walk up the ben.

perchypanther
    Free Member

bearnecessities – Member

Kylie.

There, I’ve said it.

BURN THE WITCH!

mefty
    Free Member

So you are not keen on her either

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

@Coyote

I like Coldplay.

GTFO! There’s always one who takes it too far!

jekkyl

I also enjoy the Vengaboys tune ‘I’m going to Ibiza.’

perchypanther
    Free Member

I thought the same about Whisky until I learnt how to drink it. Get decent stuff, add a tiny bit of water and sip it, don’t knock it back like a cowboy.

I’ve tried all sorts from the cheapest supermarket blends to the obscenely expensive malts from all areas.
    I’ve tried neat, with a little water, ice, even dabbled with mixers.

I just don’t like it.

It makes me embarrassed to be Scottish sometimes.

“D’ye want a wee hauf?”

“Naw thanks, I don’t really like whisky”

“WHIT! Is there something wrang wi’ ye?”

“Errr……I don’t like football either”

“GIT OOOT! ……..and dinnae come back!”

jam-bo

harry potter can do one.

DezB
    Free Member

Star Wars. Not one to speak ill of the dead, but Leia was a minger.

garage-dweller

(Un-)Reality TV

Encouraging moronic, overly dramatic and selfish behaviour in the real world since at least the original Big Brother.

See also: celebrity culture generally and being famous for being famous due to something stupid you did or your family being so wealthy you never need learn from your mistakes.

Sandwich

Whisky. At least twice a year I try to drink whisky and enjoy it.

Still don’t get it.

Come independence you will be asked to live South of Hadrian’s Wall. Personally I don’t think we should take you in. 😉

ThePinkster

+1 for Withnail and I.

I don’t understand how it’s always rolled out as one of the ‘Great British Movies’ and loved by every media student in the land.

I’ve never got it, I think it’s just overrated twaddle.

And I speak as a former arts & media lecturer.

Perhaps that’s why I’m a ‘former…..’?

P-Jay
    Free Member

I think Tea is bland and boring and Coffee is disgusting. Which gets me treated like a Lepper sometimes, somewhere between pity and disgust. Giving up a corner of every office up to a sort of low-tech chemistry set to create the stuff seems odd to me, but not as much as how dirty people seem to accept it being.

The idea of a beach holiday fills me with dread, laying in dirt and grit in your underwear, why?

I can’t stand Bitter, Ale, IPA etc, I like Lager and sometimes Wheat Beer, but not often.

I will avoid any film that has award laurels on the cover on principle, they’re usually boring and pretentious.

I think Super Hero films are juvenile and overly formulaic.

I think the percentage of ‘Health Experts’ who are charlatans and as a rule of thumb the percentage of what they tell you is poppycock is:

Online 95%.
    TV and Radio 75%
    High Street and Gym based 65%
    NHS staff – 5%

Sadly because the NHS Nutritionists won’t spout a lot of nonsense about the latest miracle (and suddenly very expensive) vegetable, supplement or device until a study is made and verified – no one believes them. This puts me at odds with most of my family and it seems everyone on FB. Kale, it’s a miracle, haven’t you heard?

stevied
    Free Member

Mrs Brown’s boys – utter, utter shi*e!!

scud
    Free Member

stevied – Member
    Mrs Brown’s boys – utter, utter shi*e!!

Amen brother! I find it painful to watch, had to see it xmas as my wife’s nan thinks it is hilarious.

allan23
    Free Member

I loathe German cars, find them over rated and just as unreliable as any other brand.

The Matrix was crap.

ji
    Free Member

Football (probably not very contentious on here)

The Beatles – awful.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘What's your heresy?’ is closed to new replies.