Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • What's your favourite childish playground name to call people then?
  • Bregante

McHamish – Member

“You see that festering mound of dog muck over there? That’s your mum that is.”

Ah…the Fast Show era.

Newman and Baddiel

xiphon
    Free Member

window licker
    c-nt

freddyg
    Free Member

nob
    nobber
    nob end
    nob head
    nob jockey

See a pattern emerging?

Oh. Bummer was another one

🙄

Cougar

It started because they used to call them “Bennies”

At my school, a ‘bennie’ was a tantrum. Same etymology, I presume the otherwise mild-mannered Bennie freaked out in one of the episodes or something, I don’t really remember. But, ‘throwing a benny’ was a common occurrence.

as a kid i was definitely guilty of using the word “flid” and others until it was pointed out to me what the words meant.

And then of course, you stopped immediately. Chinny reckon.

Velma

followed by a pushing forward of the tongue in your mouth under your bottom lip!

You may be interested in the “belm” thread I created (coincidentally) a few minutes ago.

yunki
    Free Member

in our house it’s mainly

div
    joey
    chav
    siilybilly
    miseryguts

repetitively enquiring if someone is ‘in a mood’ when it is blatantly obvious to all that they are raging always gets a laugh too..

binners

Texan was another one. And Clampett, which I believe made reference to the Beverley Hillbillies

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

circa 1983-86

Auntie Velma

or

just Velma

followed by a pushing forward of the tongue in your mouth under your bottom lip!

where it came from I have no idea to this day?

akk, . . think it was because of Velma out of Scooby Doo!

philconsequence
    Free Member

And then of course, you stopped immediately. Chinny reckon

i did stop immediately 🙂 probably annoyed quite a few people by making a point of explaining what each term meant when friends used the terms…. mum was very good at making me feel guilty!

EDIT, what does “chinny reckon” mean?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Muppet, but F**king Muppet has more of a ring to it
    Overheard someone refer to someone else as Thrush .. “because he’s an irritating c**t”

Torminalis
    Free Member

Chinny reckon, or for southerners, Itchy chin:

Cougar

Spaz and Flid were common at our school. Bit odd that ‘flid’ was still going in the 80s, given that the drug it references was a late 50s thing IIRC. Spaz fell into disuse somewhat after we had an extraordinary general assembly to highlight the problem with saying “spaz” to someone who actually was.

‘Gay’ was a popular insult at primary school, usually hurled completely inappropriately (“urgh, you held hands with a girl, you gaylord”).

Spakker, bummer, various variations of ‘nob,’ many many racial slurs… trying to remember what else.

Cougar

EDIT, what does “chinny reckon” mean?

Ah, that was a test. Anyone? Bueller?

Torminalis
    Free Member

I once got called a lesbian by an eight year old girl in the year above me. I went home and asked my mum what a lesbian was. Laugh? She nearly died.

DezB
    Free Member

Southerners used Chinny reckon. = “I don’t quite believe you”.

Squid-beak was a recent one. From squid beak of the bum arse (Chris Morris)

Cougar

Southerners used Chinny reckon. = “I don’t quite believe you”.

I’m reasonably sure that this one is national. It’s a reference to the most memorable feature of one Jimmy Hill, who was found out to be lying about something fairly important (I forget what that was now, tax returns or extra-marital affairs or some such in all likelyhood, it’s not really the salient part of the tale).

Cougar

… though, oddly, I can’t find any reference to that now that I come to look. I’m sure it’s true though, I remember watching it on TV at the time.

DezB
    Free Member

I do believe it bastardised into “Jimmy hill” at some stage. (or maybe it came from there..)

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Our variation on chinny reckon was ‘chinny bill’

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Flid was still around in the 80s as people with the resultant disabilities caused by the drug would have been in their 20s and 30s, I would have thought

yunki
    Free Member

It’s a reference to the most memorable feature of one Jimmy Hill

it was bastardised to jimmy hill on account of his large chin.. but the etymology is a great deal older than even the chinmeister himself..

finbar
    Free Member

Have we had “dime bar” yet?

Bizarrely, around about age 14/15 in my school “paedo” was the insult of choice.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

At my school, a ‘bennie’ was a tantrum. Same etymology, I presume the otherwise mild-mannered Bennie freaked out in one of the episodes or something, I don’t really remember. But, ‘throwing a benny’ was a common occurrence

Ours too, but i thought because it was a kind of fit.

scruff
    Free Member

A ‘Velma’ is a double ‘Gabrielle’.

Rogers etc.

Cougar

Have we had “dime bar” yet?

Armadillo!

j_me
    Free Member

bawbag
    bawjaws
    fannybaws

Cougar

Ours too, but i thought because it was a kind of fit.

That would be “throwing an eppy,” I believe.

Cougar

We were a politically correct lot, weren’t we. I wonder what the cool kids call each other these days?

Haze

Gay-bo

Torminalis
    Free Member

When someone got reeeallly angry, they were said to be in a right ‘hess’.

We even had a kid called Hess who was a sparky little so and so.

j_me
    Free Member

I wonder what the cool kids call each other these days?

stwer ? 😉

prahran
    Free Member

Tinner if you didn’t dare do something.
    Pecker to insult.
    My favourite’s at the moment: F*ck Stick, Sh!t S4ck and Turd Bag

derek_starship
    Free Member

Dill – truncation of sex toy?

Puffhouse

Fag

Divster

F*ckpig (sometimes pre-fixed with snipe-nosed; my favourite usage)

chutney13
    Free Member

grundy sniffer or dickweed was always “popular”.

or hom.

it feels like thursday afternoon tourettes.

therealhoops
    Free Member

the missus’ pet name for me is gaylord

therealhoops
    Free Member

TRHjnr’s insult of choice is either “ya mista” or “yah witness”. I’m soooo not down wit da kidz 🙁

dazzlingboy

Only one mention of Joey so far?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Torminalis – Member

We used to call people Henders. Hender was written on the side of the special bus.

Aye, we used to use the names of our local special school and mental hospital as playground insults. The latter being accompanied by a ‘struggling in straight-jacket’ movement/gesture. We were 8, mind….

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

My fav is muppet.

Sadly used far too often as a kid were ‘gay’ and the many terms related to disabilities above.

bigbloke
    Free Member

“Dick Weed” was a popular choice

“Gaylord” which was very popular back in the eighties, i still use it a lot in completely irrelevant ways but i like it 😆

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

A couple of supposed friends of mine took to calling me ‘the Moog’ . . . I hated it!

However I did actually enjoy my actual nickname of Orville.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite childish playground name to call people then?’ is closed to new replies.