Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • What's your favorite thing about London?
  • maccruiskeen

In its own way, I find it, and its inhabitants really parochial.

I have two sets of friends there one in Black Heath one near Dulwich – 4 miles apart as the crow flies. We all know each other from before they lived in London – they’ve never met in London.

I was driving down to a party at one house from Inverness, so called the other friends and said “why not pop over and see us – come to the party if you can but I’ll be there for a few days”. They we’re all “its two buses and getting a taxi back will be a nightmare” “Just to re-iterate, I’m driving through a blizzard from Inverness for a party 4 miles away from you”

They didn’t make it over

binners

I thought I was right but it’s nice to have it confirmed

isn’t it? 😆

40mpg

The ability to make the above mentioned people wander round with strange wide eyed half smile confused expressions on their faces while wearing outdated denim/sportswear and standing on the wrong side of escalators or blocking the pavement.

ooh, thats me, that is!

maccruiskeen

ooh, thats me, that is!

and me 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

The view from Primrose Hill is stunning.
    As is the one from Waterloo Bridge
    And the one from the restaurant in Centrepoint
    And the one from my bike when I commute across Westminster Bridge, past Parliament, Buck House and up through Hyde Park… historic, meaningful and just interesting…

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Going to Mc Donalds at King’s Cross St Pancras after a night out to watch the fight. Happens every weekend without fail.

Not having to sit in queues of traffic because you’re on a bike.

Flipping off Addison Lee.

The girls.

The outdoor exercise area at Primrose. Followed by a jog to the top to watch the sunset.

fasthaggis

Blackheath ,the southbank and some of the markets are the first areas that spring to mind.
    Used to wear me down a bit living there (11 years), but I really look forward to visits now .
    I know my way round ,so I feel like I am a super tourist 🙂

ononeorange

Standing on the left on escalators is just unforgiveable. It’s the non-biking equivalent of stopping to faff and blocking the way in the middle of a great descent.

There is always something new to discover, and as someone said above there is a sense of great age (except in Docklands).

noteeth
    Free Member

The British Museum & the Natural History Museum.

I’ve been obsessed by ’em since I was a kid.

Other than that… leaving via train for the west country. I can enjoy London immensely for about 48 hours, and then I have to get the hell out.

maccruiskeen

Actually – my favourite thing about London is the tea hut on Blackheath. In winter.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How far away from me it is

Some cracking museums though

kimbers

and we have a mayor thats also a kind of childrens entertainer

I also love the diversity food, people, languages, dress styles, clubbing, markets, a transport system that costs a few quid to get from one side of the city 24hours a day
    personal fav
    the (dodgy)taxi ride home after a nights clubbing, crossing the river the sun coming up as you are coming down, brain processing all the craziness youve just seen

as i get older that stuff appeals less and the pollution is a pita, if theyd just ban cars it would be perfect

Stoner
    Free Member

the pollution is a pita

Compared to when I first started riding in london in the late 90s I find the pollution has got so much better. Its almost unnoticeable. Only the plain tree seeds get to me know.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

the (dodgy)taxi ride home after a nights clubbing

This. Lol our regular cabby Nigel (who is Nigerian) hence his nickname Nigerian Nige is a **** psychopath but he has been a source of great amusement and everyone loves him. Drives an ancient but absolutely immaculate black Mercedes.

You send him a text when your getting your coat / waiting a **** eternity for girls to get theirs and to go the loo and shit, and he will be outside the club within 10 minutes. Without fail. He used to take us from fabric (Barbican) to a bar in Tufnell park (North) called aces and eights for after drinks… in 5 minutes flat. I shit you not he would do 95 down a bumpy windy road through central London, and even faster on the main roads. He seemed to have a way with traffic lights too – they never turn red when he’s driving. Maybe he just drives too fast for them.

Anyway, we always took our lives in our hands with Nigel but it was a fekkin awesome way to go home when you’re sloshed and he was an amazing driver – had been doing it his whole life and would probably give the Stig a run for his money. Funny as, and you only get that in London I believe.

He once did The Roof Gardens (Kensington high street) to Tufnell park in just under/about 15 minutes…. It’s 6 miles lol.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

It’s where you get the train to Scotland

MrSmith
    Free Member

Will look even better when the 70’s boil gets removed from the front.

nukeproofriding
    Free Member

Yeah. It’s craneopolis there at the moment. Crazy.

mefty
    Free Member

Westminster Abbey

druidh
    Free Member

I think you may be correct.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Tate Modern

bikebouy
    Free Member

I think you need to catagorise the That London thing.
    A) if you live in it
    B) if you commute into it
    C) if you use it for leisure
    D) if you work & live in it

I’ve a place over Canary Wharf and I’d not like to live anywhere else except Hampstead way, but that’s me init. I also have a place on the sarf carst ( which I call my home) so I’m very lucky, worked ferkin hard for both but then that’s ok init.

If you live in some cramped, festering, noisy street, or live over a kebab shop I’m not so sure your enjoyment of the city will be the same as mine.
    I rarely go into Tarn from where I am, CWharf has all I need and I know of a few bars n clubs up Clerkenwell that I frequent, Brick Lane/Spitallfields ain’t what they used to be, all a bit lame now (but can buzz on a day) and some of the pubs local to me are a bit shite TBH but then that’s why I go to other places. Working and commuting in the City can be ferkin tedious but then the preeeeety girls help pass the time away, annoying tourists with nowhere to go can be a PITA, but then they’re enjoying life..
    Driving in/around can be proper shite, the riding (bikes) can be proper shite too unless you use the time to play rather than hack everywhere.
    The buses I hate, so too van drivers.

But it has a charm, something like discovering something new around a new corner or a well trodden one come to that. But I’ve been here a while now and I can honestly say, if I didn’t have my retreat on the coast where all my toys are and the environment is better suited to my proper lifestyle, then I’d go mentalist.

So Larndarn ain’t the answer, it’s a means to an end.

biker66
    Free Member

All the free museums and galleries. The fact that you can just pop in for half and hour as and when. My kid is growing up with the museums as her playground.
    I love cycling around London. Always find something new. It’s so vast.
    Love the parks, the river, Richmond to Kingston… Love Soho on rainy days – and all of London on sunny ones.
    I really didn’t care that much for it when I moved here but after 10 plus years I think it’s the greatest city in the world. (ok.. one of the greatest)
    There are quite a few things I don’t like. But I couldn’t live anywhere else in the U.K.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Lived there for a while – was still commuting in up to about 18 months ago… at the moment, I love the fact that I can enjoy it as a visitor on my own terms without getting jaded by having to do it. Haven’t been for a while but looking forward to a weekend visit in the New Year.

I love the vibrancy, mix of cultures, architecture and the fact that it’s still at heart a load of different villages joined together, all with their own distinct character.

The view from Waterloo Bridge and the South Bank at night, the fantastic pubs you can find tucked away in the most unlikely of places, free museums, Borough Market early in the morning.

There is no way I’d return to live or work there however – much prefer to enjoy it as an occasional visitor.

In its own way, I find it, and its inhabitants, really parochial.

I know what you mean by this – so many born and bred Londoners I know – all well-travelled, educated people for the most part – have virtually no knowledge or interest in UK life outside the orbit of the M25

cheekyboy
    Free Member

HMS Belfast
    Trafalgar Square c/w Nelsons Column
    The hydraulic rams that operate the Thames Barrier.
    Euston northbound at around 12:50 on a summers Friday afternoon

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Big But Slimmer – window, top right of your pic. Used to be our office!

clubber
    Free Member

It’s home and it’s always great going back as it’s got a certain feel that I love.

I don’t miss travelling on the tube/trains at rush hour though 😀

hilldodger
    Free Member

….so many born and bred Londoners I know – all well-travelled, educated people for the most part – have virtually no knowledge or interest in UK life outside the orbit of the M25

Surely just another sign of their wisdom and enlightenment 😆

But seriously, just about anything that you’d need to leave London to experience & enjoy you’d be far better off travelling to Europe for than the provinces…….

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

But seriously, just about anything that you’d need to leave London to experience & enjoy you’d be far better off travelling to Europe for than the provinces…….

And in that one sentence you’ve neatly encapsulated all the reasons why , love it though I do, I’d never want to move back there…

Bazz

Probably depends on what you are doing there in the first place, if you happen to work away from the touristy bits and find yourself dealing with some of the less friendly residents (of which there are many ime) then watching it fade in the rear view mirror at the end of the day.

binners

And in that one sentence you’ve neatly encapsulated all the reasons why , love it though I do, I’d never want to move back there…

Absolutly! He’s also encapsulated, neatly and concisely, why the rest of us, in the ‘provinces’ are all more than happy for you oh-so-cosmopolitan sophisticates not to demean yourselves by gracing us with your presence 🙄

mogrim

Running on the tow path from Kew to Richmond or Barnes. Kew Gardens. Taking the tube into town (though not at rush hour). Wandering around the streets. The restaurants in Soho. Some great pubs. The V&A.

Still, I live in a different country, and all my recent impressions of London are from shortish visits to see my parents, not sure what it’d be like when you have to get up early on a Thursday morning, it’s pissing down and you’ve got to go to work. Suspect I’d be less keen then 🙂

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I think it would be fair to say most of the ‘brains’ in London come from outside of the city, you only have to watch one episode of eastenders to realise this.

bikebouy
    Free Member

….so many born and bred Londoners I know – all well-travelled, educated people for the most part – have virtually no knowledge or interest in UK life outside the orbit of the M25

This is a fair comment. Of all the folks I know in Town most have little interest in what happens in the UK “shires”. SOme have families in the Shires and they only seem to want to know about that very small aspect of the Counties they have association with. I’d say most that I know know far more about the World and places they’ve visited to than thier “home” county.
    It seems to me that it’s endemic of the type of folks that I bump into that they know more about France/Switzerland/Germany/Italy/USA thatn the do about say, Kent.

I only ended up here thorugh work, I met MrsBouy here and we’ve carved out a very small niche for ourselves, but like a lot of folk I know, we’re a bit insular, distracted by our own stuff..
    Bu then put me back on the coast and it’s hard to go back into Town, certainly the first few days of being back makes me crave for the Sea, but I don’t think I’m alone, hence why most folks I know travel a lot out of the country.

We used to go to Saddlers Wells masses, I mean loads, right up for a bit of modern Dance we are, but this last year we’ve been once. Then saying that we were out on Monday in Camden watching some exceptional musicians playing in The Forge (another of our fave places) but we don’t drink over there (in Camden) , bit too.. well… not us.

Secular, I think thats what they’d call us.

irelanst
    Free Member

Binners, You need to look through the cockernee specks where everything appears bigger, better, faster in London, as perfectly illustrated in the example provided earlier;

I shit you not he would do 95 down a bumpy windy road through central London, and even faster on the main roads. He seemed to have a way with traffic lights too – they never turn red when he’s driving.

He once did The Roof Gardens (Kensington high street) to Tufnell park in just under/about 15 minutes…. It’s 6 miles lol.

Of course up in the provincial north 6 miles in 15mins would be a pretty rubbish time even on a bike considering it’s only a 24mph average, let alone in a cab doing “95…and even faster”

MrSmith
    Free Member

so many born and bred Londoners I know – all well-travelled, educated people for the most part – have virtually no knowledge or interest in UK life outside the orbit of the M25

so many born and bred Britishers I know – all well-travelled, educated people for the most part – have virtually no knowledge or interest in UK life outside the orbit of their home town/village.

ericemel
    Free Member

I agree to a point. For me its either in the hustle of London or the middle of Dartmoor – not saying there is nothing in between but I don’t find myself that stimulated by it.

will
    Free Member

There is a lot to love about it, to name a few:
    Hampstead Heath, The Museums, London Eye, The Thames, Embankment Peloton, Commuting by bike, large number of new and different restaurants, The Theatre, The Griffin, Southbank, Hyde Park, Regents Park, Ease of travel, nightlife and variety of pubs, Hampstead, The busy working life, Brick Lane curry, Boris Bikes.

However, i’d sack all that off to live back up North, so wont be here forever 😆

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Its 400 miles away, but would be nice if it was further.

sbob
    Free Member

I was walking through London with a friend who was talking about how great the city was (she knows I don’t like the place) with particular reference to how multicultural the place is, pointing out all the people of differing ethnicities and backgrounds.

Right as a (black) bus driver, who was arguing with a (partially black) pedestrian came out with:
    “You’re not even properly black! Your mother must’ve been a slag!”

Such harmony in the capital!

pitduck
    Free Member

it`s distance 😐

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘What's your favorite thing about London?’ is closed to new replies.