Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • What’s your fav bar stem combo right now?
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Hi guys I recently fitted a set of joystick 800x 35 bars in a joystick 50mm stem on my new build and it felt spot on. Unfortunately these were off my kona so went straight back on it and now I can’t decide what other makes of bar stem to fit, obviously copying the joystick setup. Don’t suggest buying the same again, even tho it makes sense, as if I’m spending upward of £100 on the pair I’d like something new that I haven’t tried before.

tomhoward

I’ve historically liked Easton\RF carbon bars, 750mm (trail)/760mm (gravity) with a 50mm (gravity) and 70mm (trail)stem.

Latestbike has Enve M7 35mm stem and 800mm bar which feels better than I thought it would, had planned to trim it a bit, but feels fine.

razorrazoo

Renthal have been my last 3 sets of bars, I just get on with the shape. On the carbon version at the moment and would buy again. Running a Hope 35mm stem, did have 2 Renthal duos before that but wanted to try shorter and stuck with it.

sharkattack

Why don’t you try this combo and tell me if it’s any good?

tomhoward

‘owzat work then? Expanding lump in the middle?

Gunz
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thomson X4 and Nukeproof 800’s it works as it’s just about exactly the same as the ones I took off just wider which is what I wanted. Honestly if I found something that felt really good I’d just replicate it, I have 5 contact points with the bike, I want them to feel gooooooooood

twistedpencil

Thomson X4 and Thomson carbon bar atm. Just got a carbon renthal at 800mm. Looking forward to seeing how I get on with it. Quite fancy a Burgtec stem but may be sensible and spend on a new saddle instead…

lunge

Deda Zero100, -6 degrees 130mm stem, 400mm bars.
    Stiff, reasonable weight, not expensive.
    Not sure if that’s the answer you were looking for.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I like the Joystick Analogue carbon 800mm bars & Binary stem on my big bike.

That said I’ve got a battered old set of Enve DH bars on my trail bike & a Hope stem which is so old now its fading, which have done me proud. Their shape and feel is very similar though 🙂

weeksy

Whatever comes fitted on the bike i buy… All seems a bit complicated swapping just for the sake of a few Gr.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’m still getting used to 740mm wide bars…….

coomber
    Free Member

I’d go cheap stem and decent bar for £100.

Funn 35mm stem, £25
    Chromag fubars, £65

Both at crc. Have that combo on my hardtail, love the shape of the bar.

rocketman
    Free Member

Depends on the bike

Thomson 740 mm carbon flat bar + X4 stem on one bike
    Race Face Atlas 760 + Atlas stem on another
    Burgtec 800 mm carbon enduro + Enduro stem on another
    erm
    Thomson 780 mm DH bar + Thomson direct mount stem on another one
    *thinks* oh yeah…
    Spank something or other + matching silver stem on another wohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Bin bag full of bars and stems in the shed

lawman91

+1 for Chromag. Have 2 Ranger stems (one 50mm, the other is 31mm) and 2 sets of Cutlass bars and they’re both awesome. Feel rock solid and they look amazing. Wouldn’t want to use anything else these days!

russyh
    Free Member

Been running Joystick Binary 35 carbon bars with a Joystick Builder stem for a while now and really rate them. In fact sold them with my Hightower and the new owner listed them for sale so I bought them back! Always rated the Burgtec ride wide carbon bars as well. Both Joystick and Burgtec seem quite stiff bars to me, so maybe that’s what I like?

chakaping
    Free Member

RaceFace SixC handlebar is my all-time fave.

Stems have less individual character obvs, but the Hope 35mm (length) job is great. Funn Funnduro as a light, budget option with a touch more flex.

#31.8mm4life

kimbers

Sweep, length, material etc lots of variables in bars.

Stem, especially a short one is there any reason to spend money on one ?

niksnr
    Free Member

Big fan of Syntace combo. Vector high rise also have 12deg backsweep which feels great on wrists. Syntace Megaforce Stem 50mm. Both 31.8 but believe they do 35 now. Pricey but best bar/stem combo I’ve had.

marksnook
    Free Member

Joystick analog carbon is the perfect bar! Was getting numb hands on my Renthal alloy, swapped to joystick carbon and it’s all gone. Great shape bar too. Think they can be found for 60/70. That leaves change for what ever stem is on offer in your preferred length!

buenfoxa
    Free Member

Santa Cruz carbon bars and a hope stem here

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Big fan of Syntace combo

+1

12deg Vector carbon bar, 20mm rise
    60mm megaforce stem

Great shape, tough, supple, well made. Wouldn’t ride owt else these days.

tomhoward

Stem, especially a short one is there any reason to spend money on one ?

Matchy matchy.

Or if you are desperate to have crystals embedded in it. Obvs.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Current MTB has;
    Raceface Atlas bars 785mm
    Hope Stem – 50mm

3rd stem and forth pair of bars on current bike before I was happy / comfy

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks guys I really like my joystick bars and stem combo, which I have duplicated in carbon on another bike, I’ve got new rentals with an apex stem on another which I find quite stiff. I think maybe a burgtec stem, top cap and spacers with a Raceface carbon bar would be good but slightly above what I want to spend unless I can find them second hand. I really like that use vyce stem but the stack height is nearly 50mm which leaves me with next to no spacers on my chameleon. It has a low headtube so I need all the height I can get.

gringo

Deity 787 bars on my Transition Scout on a 50mm Thomson stem and Thomson trail bars at 750mm with a 60mmm Reverse Components stem on the Prince Albert. May swap the Thomson bars for something else as they seem pretty stiff and give me pins and needles in my hands.

fd3chris
    Free Member

Well in typical stw fashion I ignored everyone, including myself, and bought what I already had on another bike. Raceface atlas 50mm stem and atlas 820mm bars with a 30mm rise. Longest bars I will ever have had, my other set are 800, so see how I like the extra 20mm.

timbog160

I’m running RaceFace sixc’s in 820 flavour on my G170 and I have to say I love ‘em although they are gloriously over the top – and you have to watch out for narrow gaps between trees!

Also loving my stealth Fatbars!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘What’s your fav bar stem combo right now?’ is closed to new replies.