Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What's your dream ski trip / honeymoon?
  • dashed
    Free Member

Chap at work currently looking at options for his honeymoon next year. They’re not minted but having a simple wedding and reception for a few friends/family and then going on the ski trip of a lifetime. Anyway, it promoted a vicarious-dream-holiday conversation at work!

I know there are some silly prices heli-from-boat type setups in Alaska but within reason, where would you head?

For me, probably Canada, somewhere like Revelstoke, classy lodge with a combo of heli and cat trips 🙂

tragically1969
    Free Member

Purchase big fat pair of powder skis, learn to ski waist deep powder, book trip to Japan.

sweaman2
    Free Member

Canada for the motorized options if in the price range but I would also seriously think about Hokkaido in Japan. I think the snow is of better quality and more guaranteed in Japan compared to British Columbia.

For me my dream ski trips involve back country ski touring in a remote lodge and not staying a town but $$$$. Revy is a good option though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, as above, for a really different and challenging experience, a pair of massively fat waterski like planks and a ticket to Japan.

thebrowndog
    Free Member

Self-supported cross country ski trek in Norway please. Not as a honeymoon, though.

[/url]

andyl
    Free Member

Does Emily Batty ski?….

nedrapier

This’d be good bet. http://boulderhutadventures.com/philosophy/ Heli in or tour in, week in a hut in the middle of area half the size of Val D’Isere/Tignes. Simple living, wood fired hot tub. Possibly a bit communal for a honeymoon, though!

My dream trip would be flying to San Diego, buying a van, spending the winter travelling up the Rockies, April in AK, then spend the summer driving down the West Coast, surfing. Maybe with a foray inland for biking and climbing.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

We did a 2 week Rockies roadtrip taking in Fernie, Panorama, Kicking Horse, Revelstoke, Jasper, Lake Louise and Sunshine. We booked it all independently, getting some excellent deals ($79 ski ‘n’ stay). Self drive, 2 days at each resort. We went 1st 2 weeks in April 2010, and got excellent fresh snow everywhere apart from Panorama, plus FANTASTIC dawn/dusk drives up/down the Icefields Parkway with avalanches rolling down the mountiansides.

We got back to Calgary just as the Ash Cloud struck, so filled in time with some mountain biking…

Winner.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

No but Lindsey vonn does

dashed
    Free Member

Hmmm, got me thinking and daydreaming now 🙂 We’re off to Japan in 15 hopefully, but do like the heli in to a private backcountry lodge option! And also the self drive drive up the west coast following the snow for a winter 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Anything off here. Anything.
    http://www.scottdunn.com/luxury-holiday/ski-holidays/further-from-home
    Please.

(maybe this one. Check those damn pics!)

clubber
    Free Member

Mrs Clubber and I went skiing for honeymoon – around this time of year. We looked at Canada and the US but rejected Canada as it was going to be too cold at this time of year. We chose Breckenridge which was brilliant. Stayed at the Beaver Run Resort (!) which is right on the ski slopes and was a great place to stay. The snow was fantastic, the slopes are great and the US experience was brilliant with ski guides available to help you find the best slopes / conditions /etc.

Also, with the Breckenridge ski pass you can ski at other places so we went to Keystone and Vail too for a bit of variety. In addition, we did a dog sled ride and a snowmobile trip which were both excellent.

Restaurants in Breckenridge are good – lots of good food and very well priced compared to say European ski resorts.

Oh and there’s a Pearl Izumi outlet store nearby at Silverthorne 🙂

scuttler

Hokkaido followed by some time touring around Japan
    Anything involving a helicopter in BC or Tetons
    Kamchatka for something a little more edgy
    XScape at Castleford for a wet Wednesday afternoon

Gotama
    Free Member

Honeymoon….prob won’t go far wrong with Whistler as it has great skiing along with all the nice things they may want on a honeymoon. A night in Vancouver always goes down well too.

Me though; Lyngen Alps in Norway with piste to powder. Luxury lodge in the middle of nowhere, skin up from sea level and ski allllllll the way back down.

http://www.pistetopowder.com/course-tour-lyngen.php

DaveP

Japan has always appealed.
    The only negative I have heard is from somebody who said that she learnt to board there and it was necessary to check that there wasn’t somebody right next to you before making a move. I guess that is based on a resort near Tokyo and not a more remote resort???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What's your dream ski trip / honeymoon?’ is closed to new replies.