Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)
  • What’s your dream FS bike ?
  • v7fmp

Raaw Madonna.

But that would be a bike to compliment my Norco Optic, which i absolutely love. It would just be nice to give the girl a break when i go to Finale/Alps/Anywhere supergnar.

ta11pau1

I had my G16 for over 4 years which is about 4 times longer than I’ve ever kept anything else. I was quite happy to do another 4 years on it but it was cut short.

I’ve had my current Jeffsy exactly 3 years so I’m not a serial bike swapper, the G1 will probably be kept far longer!

I’m booked in on a demo day with them in 2 weeks, I doubt I’ll leave with a frame but I see myself ordering one very soon after…

sharkattack

If we’re wish-listing, my mind tends to drift to DH bikes, even though I have no need for one anymore.

Yep! I do this all day long. I had a DH bike for a long time but I just fell out of it and really miss it. I know I wouldn’t use one in the UK so it would only go out in the summer holiday.

There’s so many nice DH bikes to choose from but if we’re day dreaming I’d have a modern, big wheeled version of this…

devash
    Free Member

I love fast and light trail bikes / capable XC bikes so was lusting after a Spur from the day they were announced. Finally got the chance to buy one and wasn’t disappointed. Can’t see myself buying another bike for a very long time (just as well as it was bloody expensive).

spur

Had to go for the GX build as X01 builds were / are like hen’s teeth. I’ve been upgrading parts as and when I’ve had spare cash.

Previous to this I’d always fancied a Liteville 301, or something industrial-looking by Nicolai, but probably too much travel for my usual riding.

timc
    Free Member

Not sure id say I have a dream mtb, Id love a Orange stage Evo or a Transition Spur, but I don’t really need either.

Id like a cervelo Caledonia 5, top spec road bike, but that’s my mtb budget.

I would love some Trickstuff brakes though, they are my dream brakes!

singlespeedstu

I don’t really dream about bikes but for me my G1 is about as good as it gets for most of my riding and I have no plans on swapping it.
    I would however change a few bits on it if a had some spare cash to spunk away. Eewing cranks being one of the things I’d fit.

Ebike wise I’m thinking of trying a Fulgur Mula as a replacement for my Kenevo.
    Comes with EXT suspension which I love on my G1 and also a Polini motor which is fully user serviceable and you can get spares for it. Seems a move in the right direction to me.

ta11pau1

Previous to this I’d always fancied a Liteville 301, or something industrial-looking by Nicolai, but probably too much travel for my usual riding.

You know they do short travel bikes too? It’s not all massive long gnarpoons with wheels in different timezones 😁

nuke

Not so much dream but more the one i want next is an Intense Sniper T based on its travel, weight & geometry… reckon it’d be perfect for everything from big xc days to trail days around the Surrey hills

monkeyboyjc

Tbh it varies from day to day & week to week.

But prob a pinion Nicolai Saturn at the moment.

dave_h
    Free Member

The concept must be due a come back, right?

Maintou FS

heavy_rat
    Free Member

Mines a Scott Spark and I nearly bought one last week but bottled it. So I’ll stick to my 2014 Anthem for now

tomhoward

The concept must be due a come back, right?

Nah, front mechs and 26” wheels are done.

(I know, I know)

stevextc
    Free Member

Tbh it varies from day to day & week to week.

^^^^

This

and I know it’s a bit of marketing when people sell but so many “dream bikes” don’t seem to match that dream getting sold.

I think for me a bike is a tool and sometimes I want a 10 lb lump hammer and sometimes a 1oz jobbing hammer.. and increasingly often I don’t even want a hammer but a screwdriver .. (non FS in that context) or an impact driver (electric)

Purely dreaming I’d (theoretically) love some sort of e-HT with removable battery as my local riding I do alone seems to split between e-Bike and HT whereas most group rides I take the HT but I don’t really think the concept works or that I’d actually then use it as I would in my imagination.

chiefgrooveguru

Help, I think I’ve gone weird! My favourite bike now is my singlespeed 160mm 29″ hardtail – Pipedream Moxie.

I’d quite like a short rear travel big fork single pivot full-sus with similar geometry but that would require a dream house with the extra storage space and a dream life with someone who deals with all annoying stuff I don’t want to do.

a11y

or something industrial-looking by Nicolai, but probably too much travel for my usual riding.

You need a Nicolai Saturn 11 (as posted by @tallpaul above) or a Saturn 14 like below. Wheels almost in different timezones but not quite! Similar philosophy but not as extreme as a G1. A lovely gate, leaning against another lovely gate:

Saturn 14

julians
    Free Member

The up coming transition relay looks most suited to what I want from a bike right now, but its not available, or a specialized kenevo SL with a more powerful motor (but not as powerful as a regular kenevo)

Waiting for specialized to announce the replacements for the levo SL and kenevo SL…..

as for none ebikes, my 2018 YT capra seems pretty much perfect to me right now – except for the lack of motor…..

teethgrinder

weeksy
    The Hope 916 not getting that much love made me think…

Well, if it’s not the Hope, then what is it the you want/desire ?

I’m not really a bike nerd, so i usually end up with whatever sort of suits but is also on sale… .hence my current Trek EX9.8

You see there’s your problem – some of us are.

Some of us like our bikes and stick with the same one we have had for years because we like it, or we can’t afford to chop and change more frequently than we change our kegs, or both. Everyone has different likes and dislikes – I could never countenance spending money on a Specialized, Giant, Trek, Santa Cruz, Yeti, Whyte, Haibike, Cube, etc.
    Shit-looking, shit components, terrible VFM. Pick 2.

weeksy

Yep! I do this all day long.

How do you think I feel, I’ve got 2 of the bloody things and neither are sprung for me! I love both of his DH bikes and would be on one on Friday at BPW if I could have got the suspension right.

Tracey

Lucky to have already got mine. 2022 S Works Turbo Levo with a fork, wheel and brake set up that I wanted over stock.
    Bought it second hand to keep the cost down and after selling my old Turbo Levo wasn’t too big a hit.

Couple that with my Specialized Enduro, again built with the parts I wanted and I cant see anything tempting me away for quite some time.

weeksy

You see there’s your problem

I wasn’t aware I had one.

I thought it was just a nice interesting discussion about bikes

matt_outandabout

Flare Max
    Full XT, Hope brakes.
    130mm Fox forks
    Puuuuuurple.

stevextc
    Free Member

Help, I think I’ve gone weird! My favourite bike now is my singlespeed 160mm 29″ hardtail – Pipedream Moxie.

I bought my Trailstar on a whim… It was on sale for ages at £320 but had £6 delivery so I convinced myself the £6 was just too much… put the idea aside etc.
    Then upgrade bikes had a set of shop display frames they sold off for £300 most importantly (I convinced myself) with FREE delivery… so I bought with the idea of ‘just something to muck about on’ from time to time I could justify the £300 so as far from “dream bike” as possible (I think)

I ride it probably 80%+ of the time (despite having Enduro FS/eMTB/XC HT and 4x) (It’s not SS or 29 but..) … so now I’m confused as to whether that makes something like that a ‘dream bike’ or if a ‘dream bike’ isn’t actually meant to be ridden often just left in a garage/shed and admired.. like having a e-type jag in the garage and using a Nissan Leaf on a daily basis ???

eyestwice
    Free Member

Yeti. SB140.

My dream bike will never be anything but a Yeti, having lusted after one since the days of Tomac and Giove.

In Turquoise of course. I’d happily go to Llandegla just to admire the artwork hanging above the cafe.

eyestwice
    Free Member

On that note, I always wanted a Tension Disc.

Obviously didn’t take off though 😁

dirkpitt74

@sharkattack what’s the blue DH bike you posted?

sharkattack

@sharkattack what’s the blue DH bike you posted?

A Nicolai Ion 20 with an Effigear gearbox. I’d love to order a Geometron G19 version with EXT shock and 29″ wheels. It would be a silent flying machine.

fazzini

Propain Hugene in every colourway they have 😂

VanHalen

ancillotti scarab. lovely.

tomhoward

Ooh, in a sort of, I’ll probably never get to try it but…

Millyard DH.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

If its a dream…

I would make a doesnt exist bike…

Start with a Zerode Katipo
    Give it a DW linkage
    Design it round a 170-180mm fork
    Give it Geometron geo, for a 6’5″ guy
    Fit it with modified AXS to wirelessly shift the pinion
    Nail all the little details…

ta11pau1

Fit it with modified AXS to wirelessly shift the pinion

It’s not wireless but electronic pinion shifting is already coming.

tomhoward

It’s here. On commuter ebikes.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m very happy with my FlareMAX, but I’m G1 curious also. A mate has one and it’s stupidly quick. Or conversely, a Trek Full Stache with better brakes. It’s just a weirdly effective hovercraft of a thing for odd days when you don’t really want to feel the trail’s existence at all.

For now though, a better fork for the FlareMAX would be nice.

Littleman
    Free Member

I used to spend time thinking of my “dream bike” many years ago, but as I’ve got older that doesn’t interest me anywhere near as much, as the realisation dawned on me that I’m the weak link in any bike. I still love tech and reading about tech, and there’s no doubt modern bikes are soooo much better than they used to be, but I don’t wish for the latest fancy kit like I used to.

But, given that I can’t resist a good “dream bike” thought experiment, I’ll pitch in!

So, genuinely, if I won the lottery I’d probably just upgrade my current frame’s suspension and brakes really – EXT Fork and Shock (or Avalanche or Push) and a cascade link for a smidge more travel and maybe some trickstuff brakes (if I could get hold of some), but I’m genuinely not fussed by high end gearing, wheels, bars, stem etc. As has been said already, as long as the frame (geo, fit etc), tyres, suspension and brakes is / are sorted, most mid range bits do the job decently these days so I’m not fussed. Boring answer really.

But, despite the above I just smacked a rear mech on the weekend after going over the bars, so I can’t help shake the thought that despite all the shortcomings / drawbacks of gearbox’s (yes yes I know, heavy, drag, no shifting under power), an expensive dangly thing right where it’s going to get smacked still seems like a fundamentally daft idea on an actual mountain bike. Despite how good mechs are these days. So maybe a Cavalerie with the Effigear, or maybe the new Nicolai with that new fangled Supre Drive gearing. That looks really interesting and promising.

ta11pau1

But, despite the above I just smacked a rear mech on the weekend after going over the bars, so I can’t help shake the thought that despite all the shortcomings / drawbacks of gearbox’s (yes yes I know, heavy, drag, no shifting under power), an expensive dangly thing right where it’s going to get smacked still seems like a fundamentally daft idea on an actual mountain bike.

I urge anyone who has a remote interest in gearboxes to try any get a ride on one, IMO the drawbacks are grossly overblown – aside from the weight and the cost (they’re not a budget option for sure) everything else is barely noticeable and actually an improvement once you get used to it.

I debated it for a while, but weight and cost are the only reasons I’m not going for a 2nd pinion equipped bike as my next FS bike, as it would make what will easily be a 16kg+ bike into something probably nearer 18kg. Which is a lot when I’ll be doing a lot of hikeabike and big days in the mountains pushing/carrying it.

If anyone is in the SE area and fancies a go, I’m more than happy to oblige. I know how hard it is to get a demo on one.

continuity
    Free Member

The only bike I’d swap my Highlander for is a 916.

The only bikes I’d swap my synonym RC for would be an Unno Horn or maybe the new RM Element. Or, honestly, another synonym but in medium instead of large. 500mm reach is just a bit long for racing.

tall_martin

I’m still loving my G13. Enough bike for me everywhere. With 160mm forks, 130mm at the back and some offset bushings. Good for the Jen ride. Good for a week in bike parks. Great in the peaks for trail riding.

If it got nicked, I’d replace it with a similar travel Nicolai

kanya89
    Free Member

Have had a Hope 916 on order since May due delivery in October so I’ll have mine soon 🙂

Otherwise, probably an Atherton, WeAreOne Arrival or an Unno Boos

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

G1 for me.
    I have Norco Sight wich is very similar, but I’ve always loved raw frames.

funkmasterp

Swarf 155
    Beautiful bike, made in the correct material.
    Never going to happen as he’s stopped making them.

I always wanted a Swarf Contour. Not possible now, not that it ever was tbh. Money no object, I’d get Curtis to make me a custom short travel bike or a Kingdom Void 130

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 112 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.