whats your CX race gearing?

Home Forum Bike Forum whats your CX race gearing?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • whats your CX race gearing?
  • LS

38/44 and 12/27 cassette. 180mm cranks.

Premier Icon sefton
    Subscriber

what gearing do you run on your cx bike (racing)?

also would a smaller crank 170mm be better in cx (for quick turns of speed)?

seanbolton

Currently 46/38 front chainrings. 12-27 cassette.

I mostly race in the 38 chainring, most CX courses don’t ride that fast, even in the dry, so the 46 is only used occasionally.

trickydisco

36/46 12-25 out back

Kitz_Chris

36/46 with 12-28 in the back, on 175 mm cranks (same as MTB and Road bike).

I mostly race in the 46 chainring, most CX courses are flat enough that you don’t need to shift down.

Single 42 or 44 with 12-27 10s out back. 175mm cranks. keep longer cranks, for cross you need a bit of lever for ‘grunt’ rather than shorter for ‘spin’

LS

46 outer is too big unless your name is Sven – if Blazin-saddles uses a 42 or 44, then the rest of us certainly don’t need bigger.

epo-aholic

46/36 up front 12-27 out back…ususlly spend most of my time in big and 2 or 3 at the back tbh….

STATO

38/18 with 175mm cranks.

trickydisco

Have you raced cross LS? For flatter sections you need a 46

36/46 is quite popular

Haha LS, but thanks. The only time I’ve ever run out of gears was at the start of the Worlds at Zolder, that was a 46/12 start straight!

I reckon a lot of people are over geared on their cross bikes at races. I had 39/44 the last time I used a double.

LOL at Trickydisco, has LS ever raced cross 😯

LS

I’ve done a bit, yes 😀
    44/12 is over 100″ with a cross tub on. 36/46 might be popular but I dare say that’s because a lot of bikes/cx-specific chainsets come with it as standard. 36 is too small for most and a 46 is too big – when did you last use top gear in a race? And if you don’t use it, why have it? On a cross bike with its longer chainstays, with a smaller ring like a 42 or 44 you get a reasonable chainline even as far as the 24t on a 12-27 cassette. So you can start on the 44/24 and just ping up the block as you sprint off, rather than bogging down in too big a gear or trying a chainring shift halfway down the start straight.

Premier Icon cp
    Subscriber

I run 1×10

42 on the front most of the time, unless it’s a particularly claggy course or has lots of ups & downs in which case a 38 up front.

Out back is an XT 11-32.

vdubber67

46/36 and 11-32 (put on for 3Peaks and stayed on) 175mm

leggyblonde

46/38 with a 13-26 cassette and 175 cranks. With a 13 smallest cog I find I’m in the 46 most of the time, keeping the chain tight reduces the risk of rear mech explosions.

trickydisco

LOL at Trickydisco, has LS ever raced cross

Yea.. like i’d know that.. 😯

Seeing as a lot of people (on this thread) run a 36/46 i thought it was a strange remark

Hey Tricky, I wasn’t attacking you. It was the way you said that you NEED a 46 to race cross for the flatter sections, wether or not you know who anyone is, is irrelevant. Everyones needs are different but the OP asked what is YOUR cx gearing for racing.

LS has been racing cross for a long time and is keen as anyone I know and very competitive, he uses a 44 outer, I use a 42t most of the time (as do the past 3 National champions for that matter) You may prefer a 46.

Premier Icon sefton
    Subscriber

I’m thinking of going 1×10 this year.

to help combat mud educed mechanicals.

was thinking 39/12-28

with double bash guard as apposed to a chain catcher. I’m thinking a bb area with no mech one less place for mud to build up.

struggling to find a 39t bash guard

my other bike is used for commuting too. I need to replace the drive train soon so I might go: 36/44 – 11-28

taxi25

Most races around here the leaders will lap half the field twice ! So what gearing they have is irrelevant to me anyway. I like a 34/46 with a 13/28 out back. The lower gear keeps me spinning and helps get me up some stuff without dismounting. Thats what works for me, but there’s no magic bullet.

trickydisco

After racing on Wednesday night i think i’m inclined to agree with a few on here and go 1×10

I didn’t move into the big ring once nithe whole race ( 😳 ) (although i put my tub wheels on yesterday and dropped a kilo off the weight!)

So maybe a 42 up front with an 11-32 out back would be better

i’d then have a lower bottom gear

Lowest
    42×32 – 2.6 /35.4″

Highest gear
    42×11 – 7.6 /103.1″

Compared to now
    36×25 – 2.9 / 38.9″

So who races on 1×10 and is completely happy?

wellywheels

36/42 with 11-28.

Never ever needed a 46.

pixelmix

I’m currently running 1×10 (39t front for muddy Scottish races, 11-32 at the rear) – rare that I spin out in a race, only when commuting on the road.

I find the chainline less than awesome though, and I’m considering going to 2×10 with 11-27 or whatever out the back.

How common is a front mech failure, and has anyone else found that the wide chain angles on 1×10 can be a bit of a pain? I wonder if this is contributing to my rather rapid chain wear and iffy shifting.

thomthumb
    trickydisco

36/42 with 11-28.

Never ever needed a 46.

but with a 1×10 set up you won’t need a 36/46

Currently your bottom gear
    36×28 – 34.7″

With a 1×10 it would be

42×32 – 35.4″ which isn’t a huge difference

Top gear
    42×11 – 103.1″

This is why i’m thinking it’s less hassle/weight tighter chain going 1×10 and you still have a good range of gears for racing

trickydisco

Or maybe a 39 up front?

wellywheels

1×10 is a good option.

you would only loose a mech and ring, which wouldn’t make much difference in terms of weight by the time you get it plastered in mud.

It does make things look cleaner,

but you wouldn’t need anything bigger than a 42/11 in a CX race.

trickydisco

Just realised i’m running a short cage rear mech which says 11-28 so i couldn’t run a 11×32. Maybe 39 is the better option with an 11-27 out back

1*10 here, 42 upfront with 11*27 out back, perfect for me, if 27 doesn’t cover it then running is quicker

trickydisco

Have you got a bashguard or chain keeper Swedish chef?

bigbeard

So I’m the only one with a triple on my cross bike then!

jonba

46:34 and 11:28 on the back.

I race in the 34 and use the 46 for getting to races and riding old railway lines and bike paths.

Won one league, 4th in another and normally place top 10. I prefer to sit and spin rather than stand and mash though.Suits me but not others. I’d probably run a 38 up front and a mtb cassette out the back if I was going 1×10.

Sam

38-18 for SS duties, I think the geared bike is 38-46 and 12-27. I almost never use the big ring in actual cross races, but as it’s a bike which sees a bit of road and general riding use as well it’s nice to have it on there. I’m thinking of setting up a single ring disc equipped geared bike for this season.

john_l

Ran a Kite 39/19 last season & had best results yet – down to improved fitness & a lovely bike more than the gearing though.

Now using 1×9 – same 39t but with a 12-28 cassette & a Paul’s keeper. Campag Centaur & 105. Hoping that the lower gear options will help with v muddy & lumpy courses, can’t imagine that 39/12 is going to be a real limiter!

Premier Icon sefton
    Subscriber

I raced on a 34/46 last year always in the 34. not sure a gear this low is a bad habit I need to get out of though.

will try either

36/44
    36/42

or 39 single (39t bash guard is the smallest I can find)

I think a chain catcher will trap as much mud as a front mech will (making the 1×10 setup pointless)

rusty trowel

38 single, 13/29 cassette

dobo

I raced 1×8 in a 39t with 11-28, i felt it was pretty tough going on some of the wet draggy hills so geared down to 38t 11-28 and find that a good mix. I currently got the 39t back on through summer though.

sram pg850 8 speeds are great and you can pick em up for £20
    Im not exactly troubling the fast riders though.

ive been in races praying for a lower gear but never a higher one!

also i dont have scientific proof to back it up but i think spinning with lower gears can maintain a better speed than grinding big gears at a lower cadence

Premier Icon sefton
    Subscriber

with a shimano cx50 crank 36/46…is there a 42t outer ring that I could replace the 46 with (making a 36/42)?

Premier Icon davetrave
    Subscriber

So I’m the only one with a triple on my cross bike then!

And I’m the only one with a road compact 50/39…?!

But then, I mainly concentrate on 3 Peaks so the bigger gearing is good for the road.

trickydisco

Want to change to 1×10 for the cross season but really want one of those xx1 type chainrings where i don’t need a chainguide

Hopefully this guy: http://absoluteblack.cc/ is going to make a 110bcd xx1 chainring

Now where’s the clutch mech for cross?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘whats your CX race gearing?’ is closed to new replies.