Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • What's your carbon footprint?
  • welshfarmer

57% but on the basis of the question loading it should be much lower as I eat my own home produced meat with most meals and drive a large diesel Landrover a total of about 4000 miles a year. Also my house is hot because the wood burner has little control and the house is so well insulated it gets very hot very quickly!

dufusdip
    Free Member

Load of idealistic bollox. I can’t work any closer to home but doing the commute by train makes it 125% versus 84% changing that answer.

#simplisticTreeHuggers

Junkyard
    Free Member

technically you can work closer to home we all can unless we actually work at home

Granted we may need to change jobs [ I would have to], get paid less etc but any commute is generally theoretically reducible

corroded
    Free Member

Wow. 287% with a twice yearly flight to Australia. 120% without.

br
    Free Member

153%

Good job I didn’t fill this in a few years ago, use to fly long haul at least monthly plus twice weekly European and 30k driving pa.

edhornby

65 but thats because I don’t travel by planes and I ride my bike in and out of work – probably underestimating the impact of food in the questionnaire, as well as all the plastic shite that we accumulate

rone

What if you do any off-setting?

Where is the question about Nespresso?

111%

How does the government hope to run an economy and keep everyone’s numbers down?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

69%

Which shows that it’s utter bobbins. Only asked about non-business flying. The irony being that I’m sitting in the FLounge at Hong Kong coming to the end of a week which includes two long haul and two mid haul flights. Also, it didn’t really take in to account that I normally have a zero impact commute, working from home.

Additional info;
    Shoe status – Dark brown Sebago Docksides.
    Paperclip update – The Asia Pacific market is so hot for paperclips right now. Back again in June. Probably Australia as well on that trip. Which won’t be included in my score!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

289%

It’s the flying that did it!

bikebouy
    Free Member

118%

And I got a warning “you’ve got some work to do” nah, I think you’ll find I don’t have any work to do at all.

kerley
    Free Member

112%

Vegetarian, lots of local food, no flights, small economical car but lots of animals.
    Guessing my house and amount of car travel lets me down. No double glazing or energy efficiency and living rurally so tend to drive to get anywhere.

One day I will move back into a newer house in a horrible built up town area where both problems with be solved.

julians
    Free Member

215% – whoops

Bregante

A somewhat surprising 82%. Living 6 miles from work and not having been abroad for years was probably a large contributor. Hell I even ride home from our last family holiday..

rone

Going to cost me about 60-70 quid to offset it. Doesn’t seem that unreasonable.

However the questionnaire is too generic in my opinion. It ought to be asking your kwhs from your leccy etc. Plus how does it work with two people in a house with two cars etc? The survey appears to be based on one person living in a house with other people but not taking into account their usage as part of the whole.

miketually
    Free Member

Of course it’s simplistic, it’s a quiz on the internet.

nickdavies

333%

Oops! But i didn’t read the bit about not putting business flights through, I suspect my carbon footprint is largely down to a lot of travel to Hong Kong.

I’m probably not that bad without it. I even walk the two miles to work! (When it’s not raining.. 😳 )

teasel
    Free Member

I took it again but this time omitted the car (where I would’ve been this time last year) and it gave me a result of 56%. Comparing that to the first result (but not altering the answers) the other sections have increased for some strange reason – Food up 10%, Home up 13% and Stuff up 2%.

So yeah, total bollocks IMO.

jonnyboi

56% need to eat less meat

tjagain

70% this year

52% last year

The difference being one European flight and I bought a mobile phone

rmacattack
    Free Member

105% and i don’t give a damn. a ‘celeb’ will have a higher amount as they fly their jet around telling us plebs that we should donate to charity and lower our carbon footprint.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Omitting a question around how many kids makes it pointless.

tomhoward

144%

I don’t own a car
    I don’t like to be cold indoors in winter
    I took a return flight to western Canada last year
    No pets
    I have a balanced diet

Just redone it to try and see what the lowest score was, best I could do was 35% assuming I was a vegan, never turned the heating on who walked everywhere, never threw anything away, lived in an eco house, never travelled etc…

pictonroad

Obviously it’s very simplistic but as an awareness tool it’s sufficient.

Interesting that we’re at 80%. We heat the house to 18deg, commute and school run by bike and haven’t flown in years and still at 80%. No pets but 2 children who do, despite our best efforts waste food.

Guess if we take a holiday we’ll be over 100% I rank our use of fossil fuels near the lowest of our circle of friends but we’re still as high as that.

Klunk
    Free Member

57%

tenfoot

105% and we didn’t fly last year.

sbob
    Free Member

No flights, no cars, no kids.
    I win.

pondo

168% (bit skewed by flying to Japan, Spain and the Azores in the last year – lot more than normal!) But on the other hand, I now know about Earth Hour, so it’s yin/yang, really. 🙂

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

86%.

Everything but the household one was pretty low. I assume it’s to do with living alone with more space than is strictly necessary.

scotroutes

84% and it’s completely nonsense. I mean really, bigly nonsense.

nickc

189%

flights to Morocco and the Alps probably

footflaps

74% including three short haul return flights last year…

funkmasterp

80% which is actually less than I thought living on a draft ridden old house and having a toddler.

Edukator
    Free Member

Given the cars people show on car threads on here many are producing more CO2 per km than if they flew, that doesn’t show on this test though..

andy8442
    Free Member

183%. Holy crap!How did that happen?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Carbon bars, frame, crank, wheels. How much does that make?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

134%

Oops.

No public transport use, big diesel car, flight to Goa a few months back, Mrs Coolhandluke likes the house hot.

I thought my solar panel should have clawed something back though.

fanatic278
    Free Member

145%

If it weren’t for my holiday to Florida I’d be at 101%.

I’m morally struggling to differentiate my personal CO2 from my work CO2. I could choose not to work in the oil & gas industry. I could choose not to commute to work to Paris each week by plane. I’m sure me being unemployed would be much more environmentally friendly for the world. But according to the WWF it’s not my problem.

deadkenny
    Free Member

141% and yet ticked loads on recycling, no food waste, local sourced food etc.

It’ll probably be the car commute – which I have no choice about, and that US ski trip, which I did but WWF can shove it if I’m going to give that up. Propose an eco way of travelling long distances quickly rather than moaning at people to stop.

And eco fuel tarrifs? That doesn’t mean your electricity is suddenly renewably generated. It’s just carbon offset bollox. In fact why aren’t they asking the same about flights as in do you tick the carbon offset so the airline goes and plants a tree somewhere?

Trimix
    Free Member

Well, we have buggered up the planet then.

Best go ride our bikes while we still can.

miketually
    Free Member

Propose an eco way of travelling long distances quickly

There probably isn’t one. Getting the train to the Alps for skiing would be a better alternative than flying to the States though.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘What's your carbon footprint?’ is closed to new replies.