Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Whats your basic cleaning kit/ritual?
  • tacopowell
    Free Member

I wash my bike every other ride, unless muddy as heck, I use a sponge and washing up liquid followed by GT85 on the drivechain.

What should I be looking at as a next bit of cleaning kit? Chain brush?
    Chain Lube?

Whats your routine & Kit consist of?

Rorschach
    Free Member

Waiting until the dirt dries and falls off.

tacopowell
    Free Member

Waiting until the dirt dries and falls off.

I’d try this theory on myself but I’m not as dirty as you! 😉

crikey
    Free Member

I’m not as dirty as you

Not a great self-recommendation to be totally honest…

br
    Free Member

Today as most days.

1 Clean (dried) mud off drivetrain
    2 Oil chain
    3 Ride
    4 Put bike away

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Road bike gets washed every ride in the winter and every week in the summer. Mountain pretty much every time it’s used in anger which at the moment is twice a year. 😳

takisawa2

Mine self cleans…eventually.
    Just keep lubing it.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Put it in the car, take it somewhere nice, ride it, put it in the car, drive home, put it away.

Repeat

I only washed the French mud from my my full suss bike a couple if weeks ago! ( Came back in July 2012) And that was only for The Jedi’s benefit.

As luck would have it, I live in the north, mud is primarily made up of 5% soil, 95% water. I have dipped my bike in puddles, stream, reservoirs before now too, does that count as cleaning?

yunki
    Free Member

One of these on any problem areas before riding followed by a bit of lube for the chain

I also give it a more thorough brush every other month or so, and a strip down and clean a couple of times per year

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Always use car shampoo, fairy liquid is only good for pots n pans and will attack the paintwork and rudder seals on yer forks.. :

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

Wow! you must have deep water where you are if your bike needs a rudder!!

crikey
    Free Member

Always use car shampoo, fairy liquid is only good for pots n pans and will attack the paintwork and rudder seals on yer forks..

You will, of course, have some evidence for this scandalous attack on the finest bike cleaning substance available?

…or are you simply repeating something an old wife told you?

DickBarton

Does fairy liquid not have salt in it?

Hose and some cleaner spray, brush for stubborn bits. Since using wax on my chain I haven’t had to clean my drivetrain…3 years of no manly drivetrain now as it all comes off with the cleaner spray ad water…cleaner spray obviously gets the dirt off but my drivetrain isn’t manly and comes clean without any brushes…total time is 5 minutes.

Then spray mechs with some lube, wash myself then apply wax to chain…about once a fortnight.

crikey
    Free Member

Does fairy liquid not have salt in it?

Yes it does.

A squirt of FL in a bucket contains how much salt?
    How much salt remains after you’ve rinsed the soapy stuff away?

Fairy Liquid doesn’t affect anodising, but try using proprietary bike cleaning fluids on red anodising; hope you like pink…

DickBarton

I’ve no idea…but as I don’t use it I don’t care…wasn’t me asking about fairy liquid, although I did pose the question about it containing salt…as to how much…I wouldn’t be squirting on my chips so unlikely to ever find out…

aazlad
    Free Member

Ride…throw it in the garage…lube the chain….ride….throw it in the garage.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Whats your basic cleaning kit/ritual?’ is closed to new replies.