Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)
  • What's your accent?
  • TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Born and lived in East London for over forty years so twelve years in Cambs hasn’t made much difference to my cockney accent.

I can still do a very passable Ray Winstone impersonation

Drac

Northumbrian.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Soft Oirish.

Turning the ladies moist since 1993. 🙂

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Soft Oirish.
    Turning the ladies moist since 1993.

Thought you were from Munster?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Norn Iron here but work in Scotland regularly on building sites so can do Govan Rab C style or posh Edinburgh architect or indeed dour Aberdonian

weeksy

Scouse. Slightly less than when I moved south 15 years ago but still strong enough

donks
    Free Member

Cockney init.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Pretty much…

MrNutt
    Free Member

I was totally horrified to discover WCA speaks with a brash German/Welsh accent

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Brumaaaay

ton

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDK2uSeNJQo[/video]

Judd, not young Billy

butcher

How man.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Birmingham accent here.. not black country.

ourmaninthenorth

I’m amused at the Northernists who claim to have “educated Northern” accents. I’m a southerner and I can tell the difference between you lot, “educated” or not.

Me – not-very-posh public school with traces of a North Western accent picked up through years of living with the monkeys.

igrf
    Free Member

Mid Atlantic Estuary – er dude.

notlocal
    Free Member

Northumbrian

Cougar

Ey up and sithee.

carlosg
    Free Member

Leeds , West Yorkshire . But a bit more ‘Yorkshire’ than the majority of Leeds dwellers.

sparksmcguff

Should be Aberdonian but they all think I’m terribly posh. While my English relatives all think I’m just a little common (and unintelligible) with my slight scots inflection.

crikey
    Free Member

‘Point is thes a diffrence tween Northin and educated northin, which dunt cum cross in text.

The point is that there is a difference between Northern and Educated northern which doesn’t come across in text.

I never try to hide where I’m from, but can change the way that I speak to suit the situation.

colournoise

Fen.

But proper Cambs fen, not Lincolnshire pretend fenners.

Except when I teach in Yorkshire anywhere, when apparently I am Australian.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Racists!

hels
    Free Member

Colonial. Which makes it difficult for Brits to tell a person’s class origins, so they have no idea how to judge me….

clubber
    Free Member

I would say public school with a healthy dose of Sarf Lahdan.

Unfortunately I’m told I actually sound like

😕

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Born in Lancashire, raised in Cumbria and moved back to Lancashire twenty years ago so a bit of a mishmash of lancs/ Cumbrian. More Lancs now though. Well, until we go visiting friends in coniston, within 10 mins I’m back speaking how I used to. 😕 Anybody else find this?

sparkyrhino

a deeper version of Stephen Hawking

ocrider

Saarf Lundun with a touch of Surrey (mid atlantic mockernee surfer) and a bit of irish phrase structure cos yer one’s a fiery galwegian. Thats when I’m sober. If I’m in the pub I have an annoying tendancy to mimick other accents and to make things worse, I’m really quite good at it 😕

bikebouy
    Free Member

We seem to be missing Kent’ish, Cornish, Devon’ish, and I’ve not spotted a Welsh one yet, closest to East Anglian is colournoise, (my lil sis has a strong accent from… Chatteris) Lancashire we’ve not had yet..

The best part of this is guessing where your new found friends are from when on bike trips abroad, before they open their mouths. That’s great fun, I’ve met loads of Northern Germans who can tell Southern Bavarians, Dutch whom have accents that sound Belgian and/or Norwegian and Italians who you can just about tell what region they ride out from.

I love it.

For the record MrsBouy has a soft North East (Redcar) accent and its sooooo sexy.

RustySpanner

Quick guide to Manchester/Salford accents –

Unadulterated Manc, possibly trying too hard:
    Liam Gallagher, Mani, Bernard Manning, Shaun Ryder, Ricky Hatton.

Standard Manc:
    Terry Christian, Mark Addy, Caroline Aherne, John Thompson, Mark Riley, Les Dawson, Brian Kidd, Nobby Stiles, Ian McShane, Noel Gallagher.

Posh Manc, still recognisable:
    Mike Atherton, Tony Wilson, Anthony Burgess, Howard Jacobson.

Manc, but changed accent due to affectation/inadequacy:
    Morrissey, Steve Coogan, Judy Finnegan.

MrNutt
    Free Member

they all sound the same to me

samuri
    Free Member

Thick, virtually incomprehensible, Northern Derbyshire accent.
    I sound like a **** idiot.

djglover
    Free Member

Teesside + West Yorkshire + London

Sound well weird

djc1245
    Free Member

Kentish …But not Chatham

brakes
    Free Member

I raise you Teesside + South Yorkshire + Yaarkshire + London.
    Also sounds a bit weird (so I’m told) with the added benefit of sounding like I smoke 50 B&Hs a day and being largely inaudible.

Cougar

Lancashire we’ve not had yet..

*ahem*

colournoise

@Bikebouy. Chatteris eh? Grew up in a little village not far from there that was so small and insular it made Chatteris look like that London.

Yorkshire despite nearly 2 decades in scotchland….say glass not glaas…sound posh in Yorkshire and clearly English up here…travelling for 5 years also messed it up

chewkw
    Free Member

A bit of BBC, Geordie (only few words) and a strong hint … something similar to 6:37 in the accent challenge clip below …

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaoeG8gCBxg[/video]

:mrgreen:

glupton1976
    Free Member

Many people think mine is Orcadian, others think it’s Aberdonian, and a few think it’s South African. It’s Annanese.

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Southern, middle class English. Received, yet toned down due to fear of ridicule. 15 yrs in yorkshire and no loss of accent. Have the mick taken out of me at work for it? But it always gets heard and things get done as a result.

I don’t have to listen to it so I don’t really mind.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘What's your accent?’ is closed to new replies.