Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • What's your 2014 bargain buy?
  • Lazgoat
    Free Member

We’ve been on the lookout for a pram and the expectant Mrs, and she has her eyes set on a Bugaboo. They go for about £5-600 on eBay, saving about 30%. We were checking them out in John Lewis this afternoon and I happened to ask whether they ever had any ex-display ones for sale, and guess what!? We walked out with a mint Cameleon3 for £400, less than half price, with 3 years warrant! We felt like we robbed the joint!

Over to you.

jam-bo

Not 2014 but I put a drunk bid on a bugaboo pram on eBay once. Got it for £60. Chap was not happy.

househusband
    Free Member

The Halfords spanners and tool storage storage deal; list price £600 – I ended up paying circa £100 rather than £200… they didn’t have it all in stock when I went to collect so I paid for only what I collected. When I went back a week later to collect the rest they neglected to charge me the remainder!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

possible return flights to malta, 5 nights hotel with swimming pool and the padi deep diver speciality for the same price as the speciality in scapa flow.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

You have a Diverge, CFH?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It would appear so, Jamie!

Happy new year, y’old curmudgeon!

Klunk
    Free Member

cost me around £230 to build this up with spares I had knocking around the house.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

We walked out with a mint Cameleon3 for £400, less than half price, with 3 years warrant! We felt like we robbed the joint!

Holy sheet, that brings some memories nightmares back.
    Kids are much better & cheaper when they’re 28 & 31, they even start paying for you!
    You have my sympathy.

AlasdairMc

Half price Salsa El Mariachi from billys.

Riksbar

CFH small ring,big cog?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

small ring,big cog

Have you heard of these things called hills?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Got a whole oven-ready chicken for £1 and some silver. Knocked down from £6.74

And a Cannondale (CAAD3) F500 in my favourite year and colour, with XT gear and Hope disc for £150ish

Win. Win 🙂

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Ended up winning an auction for a mint dirt jump bike worth £900 for £72.

maccruiskeen

two tons of corten steel.
    Bust a gut hand-balling it off the truck. Bust a gut heaving it round the studio. Made a big two ton sculpture thing out of it….. counted up the sheets I had left cursing myself for over-ordering…. I had more than two tons left. They’d delivered twice as much as I’d ordered (which kind of explains why it was such a ball ache to move the stuff around), but because it had been cut to size they didn’t want it back.

So I’ve got a nice £3k stockpile of free steel, just need to thing of something to make with it.

DezB
    Free Member

My kid’s Christmas present! He asked for a particular limited edition scooter deck -£80. Went to buy it and the scooter places had all sold out. Ebay search brought up the exact one, brand new.. £5 with 4 days to go. Stuck a snipe on, won it for £25. Happy Christmas boy 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

Istanbul Mehmet cymbals, many at half price or less. Much nicer sound the my old Zildjian, Sabian & Paiste cymbals.

I still think I’ve spent nearly a grand mind 😯

Bregante

Brand new Orange Gyro frame and shock from Alltricks for €840 back in February.

molgrips
    Free Member

OP, your Bugaboo is still a ripoff at £400 🙂

Personally quite chuffed with an El Mar frame and forks for £490 and some 29er wheels for £70 off the classifieds. Nice they are too.

tymbian
    Free Member

F & R XT brakes £85 thanks to CRC and a grateful client sold me a mint S.type Jag for £50.

&

ross980
    Free Member

joepose
    Free Member

Won a Saris Boones 3 bike rack last week on Ebay no other bids so just paid £0.99p 🙂

onandon
    Free Member

I got a litespeed road bike with sram red groupset and Campagnolo eurus wheelset for 450

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh and I bought Schwalbe ice spikes in Sweden for £45 instead of £75 each!

cloudnine
    Free Member

That 90% off sale at probikekit during the world cup final.. Got some nice bits of kit out of that

Lazgoat
    Free Member

@molgrips – £400 is a lot of money, granted. But when it puts a smile of the wife’s face like it did today it’s well spent!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I won an playstation 3 auction on eBay. The most recent slim version with extra pads and a bunch of games for £80 when similar were selling for £200. No idea why I was the only bidder, when I arranged collection the seller aggressively insisted I gave him more money and said he would leave me bad feedback, If he would have asked nice I would have happily met him half way despite it being his error for starting the auction low / no reserve, I already told the wife I was planning on giving extra £ as I felt like I was robbing him. I px’d most of the games for about £50 too.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Managed to get a Garmin 510 with the performance pack (HRM, speed/cadance, out front mount ect) for £187 from Blacks of all places just before Christmas. Normally retail at £300 so more than happy with that.

kimbers

2 x durex packs of 24 pleasureme condoms, reduced to 5 quid each in saisnsburys at the till came up as 99p each

thats me sorted for at least a year!!

northernmatt

They’ll save you more than in the long run kimbers. You won’t need to buy a £400 pram like the OP for a start!

Best bargain for me was the fatty for £640.

chakaping
    Free Member

The Superstar Tech 4 wheelset I got when they were reduced to £130. The price of a Hope Hoop front only.

Runner-up probably SSC’s £15 narrow-wide ring offer – or the £300-odd Pike from Alltricks.

They’ll save you more than in the long run kimbers. You won’t need to buy a £400 pram like the OP for a start!

😆

We have a winner.

bencooper
    Free Member

Percussion Press Headbadges by Ben Cooper, on Flickr

A Pryor percussion press – new, they’re over £1500. I got this one for £15 😀

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Actually I just opened the curtains and changed my mind upon seeing my Honda CRV, 2007 plate with 55k on it, FHSH for half what they go for on Autotrader, off a mate in the trade who would have sent it to auction as the interior is trashed. It’s been a great addition for carrying the dogs, bike gear and trips to the tip.

Flaperon

When I went back a week later to collect the rest they neglected to charge me the remainder!

Suggest thread title change to “What’s your 2014 shoplifting success?”

eddiebaby
    Free Member

My Cannondale Trigger 1. £1500 off. Me likey.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Bought a watch in mint condition off ebay for £75, retails at £750, bagged it on a buy it now and had only just been listed.

Very similar to this but with roman numerals.

chewkw
    Free Member

Helly Hansen polartec micro fleece £20 each from John Lewis so I bought two. Polartec is warm.

z1ppy

Winter boots!
    Some BNIB Lake MXZ303’s of ebay for £100 & some Shimano MT91’s, I live in these all year round, for £96 off CRC (reduced and “PRESENT voucher)

Maybe not earth shattering bargains but being skint and desperately needing new boots, I’m bloody overjoyed

matt_outandabout

Does free count? Fount at the tip with a 4″ split in the very rear. 20mins, £2 of plastic welding rod and mini blowtorch, I have a rather comfy Big Dog kayak…. 8)

Autumn Canoe on Loch Ard by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

I also rescued a Kona with 20″ wheels from the tip, which a mates kid learned to ride on and then sold last week for £80…,

Tracey

Start Cycles Scott kit. All of us sorted for very little money.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘What's your 2014 bargain buy?’ is closed to new replies.