Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • .. Whats you oldest bit of Bike kit / component that you use regularly ?
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

04 shimano dx pedals, 8 years of abuse and they are still my main pedals..

nick3216
    Free Member

Control Stix bar ends from 1991.

Onza porcipaws grips have moved to my main bike since 1994. Nice and slim for small hands. As one person remarked on seeing them “I’ve got all the suspension I need in my grips”.

Other old stuff such as original SPDs (525s and 737s) are still in use on retro bike.

Clothing? Karrimor gilet and polartec 100 base layers are twenty years old. the stitching has just gone in my Orange Pertex shell. That’s the black one covered in lots of Oranges. Not sure of the age, 1996?

Edric64
    Free Member

My 1949 Hobbs fixie is quite old .The brake lever is even older . A 1976 Shitmano Crane rear mech is the tensioner on my single speed On one

PJM1974
    Free Member

My legs! Thirty eight years old in a couple of months time and in pretty good nick, or so I’m assured. They’ve managed to see me through eleven bikes, thousands of miles and dozens of crashes but they’re still here.

I have absolutely no kit of an age that would compete with some of the posters here, it’s really good to know that stuff some of you bought in the 80s/90s is still going strong.

hock

early 90s 525 SPD pedals and XT thumbshifters here

so that’s roughly 20 years with (common pattern here?!) 10 years of less frequent use but mud and races and all before and now more or less again

SPDs never had any service until I found one being pretty loose recently, put new grease into both, didn’t look too shabby inside, run smooth again but now start having a problem clipping out (any cure for this?)

thumbies no service and work faultless with 8speed XTR and Gore Ride-ons

TiRed

A vintage Helly base layer
    Some shimano shoes that are almost dead
    A 1970’s Dawes Tamdem
    A 1970’s Track bike
    Son1 rides a 1998 Marin Mount Vision (1 year younger than himself)

morgs
    Free Member

Mine is an XTR M-952 chainset. IT’s about 8 or 9 years old

avdave2

A pair of Lusso thermal bib tights used for every winter since around 1990.
    One of those Muddy Fox handlebar bags designed for the original twin stems which I’ve had since 1986 and now sits in my backpack to hold odds and ends.

nick3216
    Free Member

Wot no DCDs?

nick3216
    Free Member

or crud claws

garage-dweller

Flite ti railed saddle c 1996 – do they still make them ?
    San marco Rolls on the road bike c. 1992 but hardly usedvin recent years

My shopping/utiliy bike is a c1990 muddy fox hybrid which sees regular use

KonaTC

2002 xt shifter pods still going strong

jruk
    Free Member

I’m just about to retire the frame from my ’99 Marin with it’s lovely ‘pingy’ Columbus tubing. Would have kept it but need something a little tougher (and with discs on the back). Replacing it with a frame that kinda reminds me of my old Bonty…

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Trelock D-Lock I’ve had since 1995. Sadly the bikes it kept safe over years of commuting in London and Glasgow have all been sold on. It’s had about three squirts of WD40 in all that time and still works as well as it did the day I bought it. The most amazing thing about it is that I’ve never managed to lose the key for it.

Actually on the bike, mechanically speaking, the oldest thing still used on a regular basis are 2003 Hope Mini brakes, which still work perfectly well and still look better than all Hope’s over-designed looking new stuff.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

1998 Marin Pine Mountain frame & original LX V-brake levers are part of the commuter that is in daily use. Still got the old stem, somewhere.

nick3216
    Free Member

I can hear the squeaking of all these old Marins in my nightmares

yunki
    Free Member

just bought an ancient XT V-brake (’95..?) from ebay for stopping duties on the thinglespeed..

fitted it today and it made me wonder why I ever changed to disk brakes..

awesome

relliott6879
    Free Member

M732 XT thumbshifters and mechs on my commuter hack, along with an original Crud Guard (the one with the upright supporting legs).

Elbows

1995 Pace for me, made singlepeed and using RC36 forks. My Winteractive jacket has also had some use in the last few days, although I considered digging out my ’97 Buffalo. i was then reminded the the Buffalo’s thong strap is not best suited to out of condition 43 year old backsides.

nick3216
    Free Member

i was then reminded the the Buffalo’s thong strap is not best suited to out of condition 43 year old backsides

I’m chafing just reading that sentence. Unfortunately I know *exactly* what you mean

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘.. Whats you oldest bit of Bike kit / component that you use regularly ?’ is closed to new replies.