Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • what's with these 29" wheeled bikes then?
  • racefaceec90

was wondering if they do improve your riding experience compared to 26″.also can someone who is 5ft 5 (and a quarter 😉 be able to ride one (as have read that you need to be fairly tall for one to fit.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

you are spokebloke and I claim my £5 😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

have read that you need to be fairly tall for one to fit

I’ve read that as well.
    Do you think if it gets repeated often enough it will become true ?

bullheart
    Free Member

Ignore them, they’re for freaks

arcascomp
    Free Member

Sounds like an excuse to show off my new 29er, sorry for the terrible pic! Ridgeback Quest 29er – £399 from Winstanleys. It’s a 17″ frame and I’m 5’10” – bang on for me I feel. First 29er for me and I’m a total convert!

As to the short person thing, how small are some kids riding 26″ wheels? They manage just fine. Just try out a small frame.

They do 29ers with small frames ? For small people ?
    Well, who’d have thought it ?

Bregante

Witchcraft I tell ye

TheSwede
    Free Member

Oh well we were all riding them back in the 10’s. you simply weren’t hip if you were on those funny little 26ers. The fad quickly blew over as they were deemed to be far to difficult to get around corners and do skids, wheelies etc.

tk46hal
    Free Member

16 inch Scandal 29er.

Totally converted to 29er and now building a s/s 29er! Never 26 inch again!
    I’m 5,9 with 31 inside leg and I leave all the tall guys behind! Don’t be daft! Anyone and any height, you can ride a 29er and will probably make you a better rider as well!

takisawa2

5’9″, 18″ On-One fits like a glove. Love it. Cant remember enjoying any other bike I’ve owned as much I enjoy this one.

tazzymtb

freak bikes for wannabe nichemongering attention monkeys. They are absolute cack and offer no benefits what so ever, they don’t do corners and are slow to get up to speed. If you try anything technical on them you will hate it. Absolute filth I tell ye.

singlespeedstu

What’s a “29er” then?

tomaso
    Free Member

I can see on say the South Downs how a 29er could have an advantage. But on twisty tight rocky drop scrabbles I do wonder. My spin around the car park at Grizedale on a Fisher HiFi 29er was inconclusive.

tazzymtb

What’s a “29er” then?

it’s a type of boat stu, that’ll explain the awful handling

Earl
    Free Member

5’7″ with a Diamondback Mojito sz 18″. 80/90mm stem 10mm layback seatpost – works fine for me.

singlespeedstu

it’s a type of boat stu,

That would explain why some of the “experts” on here say they’re shite on singletrack.
    How are you ever going to get through any trees with two blokes hanging off the side like that.

tk46hal
    Free Member

It’s good to see all the usual 29er comments appearing again!
    Marmite!
    I love marmite!
    😆

singlespeedstu

It’s good to see all the usual 29er comments appearing again!

I hear that you can’t get any tyres for them either.

Just though i’d drop that one in too.

tazzymtb

I love marmite!

is that a euphemism for “skittish rear end action”?

tazzymtb

apparently, a lot of the riders are soooo fat and useless that they need an extra Biffer brace welding onto the frame. (the same applies to 650B)

aa
    Free Member

they are bob though

singlespeedstu

😆

Rorschach
    Free Member

Bovril not marmite.

tazzymtb

bob? what the blinkin flip is that? Are they all named after the singer from the cure, that would explain why 29ers are so slow, they can only go at mopey goth pace

rOcKeTdOg

29ers are rubbish, just marketing hype from companies who have saturated the 26″ market and need you to buy something else, so they “invented” a bigger wheel just to fleece the poor old innocent cyclists wallet, it’s just a hype-tastic scam and only the soft of head would fall for it. buy one and sell out to The Man!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

I bought a 26″ Cube Stereo Race (now if FS section) in Nov 2010, 150mm trail bike and bloody good one.

In Feb 2011 I bought a Niner Air HT, wiped 40 mins off my best lap of Lllandegla Black

In March 2011 I bought a Trek Rumblefish 2 to replace the Cube, the difference in riding speed, grip and stability is prolific.

Let the naysayers have their say, the 29ers will have their day…

aa
    Free Member

bob? what the blinkin flip is that? Are they all named after the singer from the cure, that would explain why 29ers are so slow, they can only go at mopey goth pace “

it’s a polite term for poop

😀

tk46hal
    Free Member

29er parts are becoming better priced and the supply of the 29er bits are also much easier to source including tyres!
    I’ll also ride quicker around Grizdale on a 29er than a 26er, not just the carpark!

singlespeedstu

I love the way some people talk about “29ers” like they’re all the same even though they come in so many different flavours. 😆

29er parts are becoming better priced and the supply of the 29er bits are also much easier to source including tyres!

I know. I only have to go out to my garage to find a huge pile of them. 😉

Rorschach
    Free Member

49ers are where its at

aa
    Free Member

i recently borrowed a niner emd for a week(ish). On my regular ride through a little bit of double track and a lot of twisty singletrack it seemed a lot quicker than my 26″ bike. the stopwatch said slower however. whats that all about?

TheSwede
    Free Member

Mine was indeed so crap at actually performing as a bicycle that I made this out of it. Its much more useful.

singlespeedstu

Swede.

Would the tyre stay on the rim after that conversion?

TheSwede
    Free Member

I made 3 belts out of that tyre and sold it to some dwarfs.

singlespeedstu

That’s nothing a made 1 belt out of 3 tyres and it was still too small for wokboy.

tazzymtb

Swede,that looks like and Indy Fab, does it have sapphires in the head badge?

tazzymtb

fat tyre big wheel single speeds are even worse 😯

EDIT: note the biffer brace on frame

bassspine
    Free Member

do you need extravagant sideburns for 29ing?

tazzymtb

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘what's with these 29" wheeled bikes then?’ is closed to new replies.