Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Whats with holiday prices these days?? Very Expensive
  • TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I thought with the fact that people havent got as much disposable cash availble that holidays would be the first to suffer. Considering how crappy the exchange is for euro's it seems that they are even worse value.

So why on earth am i getting such high prices for general family holidays. I have a couple of grand set aside for a family break and am shocked at what little i can get for it. What gives??

Is it a case of they havent caught the cold yet and wait untill may time to take advantage of late deals?

I thought they would be trying their best to get holidays sold asap or they could find its a quiet year abroad

john_drummer
    Free Member

well I for one won't be going anywhere this year. Last year's trip still to be paid for. Canada isn't a cheap destination from the UK…

uplink
    Free Member

If it a foreign {Euro] hol – the companies obviously have to pay in Euros for the hotels etc.
    The Euro is strong so it becomes difficult for them to cut the prices – easier just to down-size their operation for a while

br
    Free Member

When and where are you going – and if its in the kids holidays, then you need to wait nearer the time for discounts (and take the risk). I mean, why discount during prime buying season?

tails
    Free Member

Have you thought of getting out of europe? Flights more money, but accommodation, food, travelling all cheaper if your going to a "second world/third world" country.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Looking at end May and for 2 adults + 2 children.

I understand about the euro etc but are we too believe that supply is still up with demand when people are strapped for cash. I missed a holiday last year cos i didnt want to stretch myself. Was really hoping for a nice break this year 🙁

My last holiday was 2yrs ago and we were going through £100 per day on the basics. You are getting on for £3-4k for a average family holiday which is crazy money

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I think people havent yet cottened on to the recession. As the poster above says, still paying for last years holiday. Maybe a little later in the year they will have realised that you can only pay on the CC so many times before credit runs out

tails
    Free Member

Well how much have you got for flights and accommodation (not spending), and will you go anywhere or have you a specific destination in mind? Perhaps I'll have a quick look.

Jason
    Free Member

We are in a similar boat. After an expensive trip to Majorca, all our family holidays have become all inclusive holidays outside the Euro zone. Morocco for the past two years and Turkey this year. Like you we are going end of May with 2 adults and 2 kids which is costing us about £2k for two weeks for a decent hotel in Turkey, I doubt we will spend too much while we are there.

I think part of the problem is the travel companies have cut back on flights and hotel bookings, so while demand has dropped so has availability – so prices have stayed high with few last minute bargains available.

footflaps

There's no shortage of money about – just came back from a weeks skiing in the Alps, all hotels / chalets full, coaches packed with families, flights full and at £1k a head minimum, there are plenty of well off families about…..

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

tails & jason – Yeah we have done majorca for the last 3-4yrs. It got to the point where 3x icecreams were 10Euros. 2 drinks 10Euros. Lunch 40Euros etc etc. Dinner anything between 50 and 100Euros. It was crazy

We arent that choosy but the wife wont go less than 4star. Not sure about turkey tbh but that seems to be the best deals.

Is there any merit in going ino one of the travel agents and stating i have £2k and any time they can call me with a deal that suits

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

TLH,
    Have a look at CUBA, I went last month with my girlfriend. I think the holiday cost around £1500 for 17days. We didn't do the all inclusive thing and we didn't skimp on food or going out. Its generally real cheap.
    Flights booked with trailfinders, loads of hotels/guesthouses online. (got a good one for havana if you need it)

cool place man.

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Although i would love cuba, i get the feeling my wife wouldnt.

Jolsa

Although i would love cuba, i get the feeling my wife wouldnt

Guess India would be out of the question then? Buying a flight then doing your own work in organising travel, accommodation (clean and decent but no frills) has always enabled me to visit some fantastic countries and see/do all I want on a budget. Countries like Egypt, Jordan, India can be done cheaply and are a complete bargain for the experience.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Whats with holiday prices these days?? Very Expensive’ is closed to new replies.