Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What's up with my laser printer?
  • midlifecrashes

Print a test page from it’s own menu and it’ll be perfect. An ordinary print will be ok-ish, some fading. A multi page document gets rapidaly fainter and by page 4 is practically blank. Toners not empty. Anything I can do/clean/swap myself before paying somebody expensive(who?) to look at it?

(Brother DCP-9020CDW, single pass colour, if that matters)

Cougar

Drum.

A new toner cartridge should fix that.

Northwind

The machine spirit is angry!

midlifecrashes

Cheers chaps.

The toners come separately from the drums on this one, four of each, but I’ve had a good go at cleaning the drums with Isoprop medical wipes and it seems to have mainly resolved it. I have introduced a horizontal line on one though, so will need to go back in and have another go, but I’ve run out of wipes so that will have to wait.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

Cleaning the drums with IPA is risky as it can reactive with Film and damage it. When you print an internal multiple page test print what happens ? And how does it compare to a print from your laptop

midlifecrashes

External and internal test print both OK now, just a single pesky line, which must be on the paper transport belt since there’s only one per page.

What’s better than IPA? I just used what I had handy, and it seems to have done the trick for now. I was working on that basis that the drum could have been stuffed for good, so nothing ventured.

If I have degraded the drums and they go bad over the next few weeks, refurbed ones are less than twenty quid a pop for this, but panic over for now and the kids can get their homework printouts on the go again.

Mikeypies
    Free Member

You shouldn’t need to clean the drums with solvent unless you get label glue on it.So long as you don’t soak a drum in it you may be ok. If you take out the transfer belt you will probably find a line of toner that has stuck to it from when you cleaned the drums with IPA, if you are carefully you should be able to clean it off with IPA and a nice clean cloth

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What's up with my laser printer?’ is closed to new replies.