Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What’s up with my hub? SRAM Vs Hope
  • jimmy

I’ve been trying to swap my SRAM cassette onto a pair of Hope Pro2 hubs and all seems ok until I do up the QR right and the wheel won’t turn – at least, not freely without a lot of effort.

Is there anything I’m missing?

SRAM Vs Hope

Onzadog
    Free Member

Either the wrong end cap or the spacer is missing between the freehub and hubshell would be the first things I check.

jimmy

Think that spacer might be the thing. At least, from watching a video and what you say it’s the only thing I’m not sure about. Of to try.

jimmy

Aye it’s missing. Ta.

jimmy

It’s not the washer after all. It was just smaller than expected and black with grease so I didn’t see it.
    How would I know which end cap I need? @onzadog ??

binman

QR or Maxle ? The end cap is a Maxle end cap

On my Hope Pro 4 you have to remove the end cap before tightening the cassette up.

coatesy
    Free Member

Another thing to check is whether the seal between the hub shell and the freehub has snapped into the hub’s body correctly, if it hasn’t, it’ll jam up when it’s compressed by the qr.

jimmy

QR or Maxle

Jeez, I’m out of touch on terminology. It’s a screw-in 12mm, not QR, no cam action.

The seal – I checked that – seemed to be sitting well but wouldn’t say it has snapped in. I’ll check.

carlos
    Free Member

Is the cassette fully seated on the freehub?

dhrider
    Free Member

Sub axle broken?
    Bearings worn / needing replaced?
    Freehub fitted correctly?

jimmy

The thing I’ve noticed now is that when the cassette is screwed onto the freehub, the hub axle stops turning. It only turns one way when the freehub goes with it (clicking). So tightening the cassette must be putting pressure through the hub bearings, which I’d have thought the spacer is there to prevent. To do that, though, feels like the axle end cap is somehow too big, but do t see any other option. Brings me back to my thread title, is there a specific end cap needed for SRAM cassettes on hope hubs?

This is helping to think it through, off to Google.

carlos
    Free Member

The seal – I checked that – seemed to be sitting well but wouldn’t say it has snapped in. I’ll check.

Without the cassette fitted, if you hold the freehub itself does the wheel spin freely?

jimmy

@bigyan – thanks. Think I’ve come to that conclusion, although I’ve found reference to part HUB473, which isn’t on Hope’s exploded diagram. I’ve emailed them to check before I buy. Cheers

@Carlos
    – yes, it does. ta

binman

It might help if you gave a bit more background. Did you have the wheel set up for Shimano and swapped it the SRAM XD (using the original end cap) ?

Good luck anyhow !

Paul

jimmy

I’m working out subtleties as I go along. It seems that the end cap is wrong, sure enough it came from the wheels when set up with a Shimano freehub but I don’t have the SRAM specific endcap. Still checking with hope for details.

binman

I’m working out subtleties as I go along. It seems that the end cap is wrong, sure enough it came from the wheels when set up with a Shimano freehub but I don’t have the SRAM specific endcap. Still checking with hope for details.

Hope you get it sorted. I think when you buy the freehub it comes with the matching spacer.

jimmy

End cap was wrong – after spending £30 to have it looked at (and serviced) it cost me £5 to buy part HUB471 which is narrower for SRAM cassettes.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘What’s up with my hub? SRAM Vs Hope’ is closed to new replies.