what’s trending regarding rim width?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • what’s trending regarding rim width?
  • alpin

after smashing my rear (still true, just a big sharp dent so tyre not holding) on the weekend i need a new rim.

i could replace like for like (Spline EX 1501 replaced with EX471 or 511) or look elsewhere (saw the piece for the Hunt wheels on front page…).

generally run 2.3 or 2.4 Maxxis offerings. current rim is external 30mm.

what benefits would i get if going for a wider (30mm internal?) rim?

Hob Nob

Probably nothing if you’re running that width tyre.

I can’t tell the difference between a 25 & 30mm rim, but then I also don’t run massive tyres, with a 2.4 Maxxis as big as I go.

Maybe if you went from a 19mm rim to a 30 you would feel a difference. But once you are there, or thereabouts, you are splitting hairs.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

30 external, so 25 internal? Maybe, 30 is only like 4 of 5 better.

Go boost, that’s 10 better.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Dent won’t pull out?

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

You probably won’t get a better rim for strength / weight ratio than the ex471/511.

In terms of rim width one bike of mine has 25mm internal and one 30mm internal (Dt e1900 wheelset and XM481 onto Hope Pro4 wheelset). I’ve run between a 2.3 Maxxis and 2.5 Maxxis wt on both and also a 2.35 magic Mary and some 2.4/2.25 on one tyres. Can’t say I’ve really noticed the extra 5mm of rim width on the 30mm internal ones.

Maybe if you went a bit wider on tyre size or are really digging in the edges of your tyres (on the limit racing etc) a slightly squarer tyre is beneficial. In which case the wider rim is the best to go for.

Premier Icon Jon Taylor
    Subscriber

Oh yeah, I went backwards from a Flow Mk3 to an Arch Mk3 on the back after a ding. Haven’t noticed the reduction in width. This is with 2.4″ Minion DHR2.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

I’ve got 2.35 Vigilante/Convict on 35’s. There is a noticeable difference in tread shape and pressure. Also true to say that these are the Tough sidewalls which is probably especially good in this case. Wouldn’t want tyres any smaller or rims any wider, on 30’s would probably be ideal but these work well.

Not too well up on current Maxxis, but I understand they’re still prone to be a bit on the small side so whether 35’s would be wise for them I’m not sure but those sizes and 35’s definitely can work and be worthwhile.

alpin

managed to pull the ding out and file away the sharp alu edge. it’s rough, but with an old part worn DHR 2.3 it’s holding air. the two week old DD Aggressor is for the bin; despite my best sewing bee efforts, a few plugs and lots of mess with the milk.

Premier Icon johnw1984
    Subscriber

I share your pain alpin. I killed the same tyre on the first ride out too! 🙂

General consensus was that I was running too low pressures for the Lakes (going off feel and underestimating psi vs my weight).

jakehinton

I just had this same dilemma, knackered an arch mk3 rim and in the end have gone for a Dt Swiss Ex471, just waiting for it to be built up. Im normally using 2.3 or 2.4 maxxis tyres and figured I probably wouldn’t see any benefit of going for a wider rim.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.