Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What's this growing in me flowerpot?
  • Northwind

Following on from the giant redwood thread… zero success with the redwood seeds, trying again with new seeds from more mature cones as I think the first lot just weren’t viable.

But what’s this feller growing in the redwood pots? It’s not like anything else in the garden and I planted with fresh bagged compost so not sure where it’s seeded from… Audrey 2? Triffid?

IMG_1799 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

IMG_1797 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

It’s pretty nice, but growing like, well, a weed 😉 Any idea?

brakes
    Free Member

looks like rocket

lucien

Dry it then smoke it, see if that yields any info

andyl
    Free Member

does look like rocket. Taste a leaf.

twang
    Free Member

Orache

JohnJohn
    Free Member

+1 for Orache

unovolo
    Free Member

What they said,link to more info it appears to be a weed by the way
    http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=33

anagallis_arvensis

Fat hen I think.

itstig

Fat hen, orache is a flat ground spreading weed very similar to fat hen.

twang
    Free Member

Oraches an upright.
    Fat hen leaves are more ovate

Scapegoat

andyl – Member
    does look like rocket. Taste a leaf.

I got some of that rocket to try, but it went off before I could eat it.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Something not right in the front/right pot as well, what the hell are you planting?!?

joat

They are not seeds, they are free Haribos from Wiggle i think you have planted.

Northwind

Excellent work MrNutt

Hmm. Googling images gets a lot of variety for common orache and fat hen, it seems on balance more like common orache with the wide start to the leaves but it does seem a bit more saw-edged than most of the pics, and it’s pretty tall- pics don’t make it that obvious I think. A good match though. Cheers!

Well, I’m going to let it grow a bit and see what it does, guess I will stop it from seeding though. I might have to do something more drastic about the Cameron infestation.

ElShalimo

I might have to do something more drastic about the Cameron infestation.

To quote Ripley from Aliens: “I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

andyl
    Free Member

I got some of that rocket to try, but it went off before I could eat it.

😀

Drac

To quote Ripley from Aliens: “I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.”

Oh dear.

anagallis_arvensis

Atriplex patula would have grown sideways with all that space around it imo. It tends to be more upright when theres competition for light. Pretty sure its Chenopodium album

itstig

I’ m of the same opinion as the scarlet pimpernel. Its a self seeded weed so more likely to be common orache and as there is no competition for light it would have a spreading habit.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Could also be Rapeseed?

I can’t find a pic of a whole plant – but I am surrounded by it at the moment and I think it’s lower leaves look more like your pic. It also grows very fast and tall.

anagallis_arvensis

Don’t think its rape but it could be Sisymbrium officinalis . Its certainly a brassica

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What's this growing in me flowerpot?’ is closed to new replies.