What's this growing in me flowerpot?

Home Forum Chat Forum What's this growing in me flowerpot?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • What's this growing in me flowerpot?
  • brakes

looks like rocket

lucien

Dry it then smoke it, see if that yields any info

andyl

does look like rocket. Taste a leaf.

JohnJohn

+1 for Orache

unovolo

What they said,link to more info it appears to be a weed by the way
    http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/organicweeds/weed_information/weed.php?id=33

Fat hen I think.

Premier Icon itstig
    Subscriber

Fat hen, orache is a flat ground spreading weed very similar to fat hen.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Following on from the giant redwood thread… zero success with the redwood seeds, trying again with new seeds from more mature cones as I think the first lot just weren’t viable.

But what’s this feller growing in the redwood pots? It’s not like anything else in the garden and I planted with fresh bagged compost so not sure where it’s seeded from… Audrey 2? Triffid?

IMG_1799 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

IMG_1797 by Northwindlowlander, on Flickr

It’s pretty nice, but growing like, well, a weed 😉 Any idea?

twang

Oraches an upright.
    Fat hen leaves are more ovate

Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

andyl – Member
    does look like rocket. Taste a leaf.

I got some of that rocket to try, but it went off before I could eat it.

MrNutt

Something not right in the front/right pot as well, what the hell are you planting?!?

Premier Icon joat
    Subscriber

They are not seeds, they are free Haribos from Wiggle i think you have planted.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Excellent work MrNutt

Hmm. Googling images gets a lot of variety for common orache and fat hen, it seems on balance more like common orache with the wide start to the leaves but it does seem a bit more saw-edged than most of the pics, and it’s pretty tall- pics don’t make it that obvious I think. A good match though. Cheers!

Well, I’m going to let it grow a bit and see what it does, guess I will stop it from seeding though. I might have to do something more drastic about the Cameron infestation.

ElShalimo

I might have to do something more drastic about the Cameron infestation.

To quote Ripley from Aliens: “I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

andyl

I got some of that rocket to try, but it went off before I could eat it.

😀

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

To quote Ripley from Aliens: “I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.”

Oh dear.

Atriplex patula would have grown sideways with all that space around it imo. It tends to be more upright when theres competition for light. Pretty sure its Chenopodium album

Premier Icon itstig
    Subscriber

I’ m of the same opinion as the scarlet pimpernel. Its a self seeded weed so more likely to be common orache and as there is no competition for light it would have a spreading habit.

Premier Icon gofasterstripes
    Subscriber

Could also be Rapeseed?

I can’t find a pic of a whole plant – but I am surrounded by it at the moment and I think it’s lower leaves look more like your pic. It also grows very fast and tall.

Don’t think its rape but it could be Sisymbrium officinalis . Its certainly a brassica

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘What's this growing in me flowerpot?’ is closed to new replies.