Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • What’s this fastener called?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Those things that look like bolts but instead of an external thread the thing is hollow with an internal thread – and there’s like a rounded cross-head on the end to do it up?

Can I get alu ones?

donald
    Free Member

Sexed bolts

kayak23

Inter screws?

Edit

Sexed bolts

inter screws

I think you’d have to be… 😂

molgrips
    Free Member

Ta. I think I need alu to bolt two pieces of alu together and not have any corrosion. Will SS do instead?

jam-bo

sex bolt or sleeve bolt

scotroutes

Inter Screws? Used for joining kitchen units.

mudfish

Like you use to fasten Ikea cqbinets together?
    Sexed bolts eh? Must be rare, nowt on google.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Sex bolts

Also known as Chicago bolts/screws

large418
    Free Member

Stainless is just about as bad as you can get for corrosion when used with aluminium. Galvanic corrosion means the ally will disappear…..

IHN

They are indeed called sex bolts, as I found to my cost whilst trying to Googling for some at work.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Also known as Chicago bolts/screws

He fits a nut, you fit a bolt.

He sends one of yours to Homebase, you send one of his to B&Q

That’s the Chicago way.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Aren’t these the usual way that road bikes mount rim brake calipers ?

ajantom

Sex-bolt, sex-bolt, you’re a sex-bolt.
    You can use it with me, when you I need to hide a lot.
    Sex-bolt, sex-bolt, you’re my sex-bolt.
    Tighten it and come along.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bernard

doomanic

Also known as book screws.

hopkinsgm

Sometimes also known as barrel nuts

molgrips
    Free Member

Stainless is just about as bad as you can get for corrosion when used with aluminium. Galvanic corrosion means the ally will disappear…..

Thought so. But alu ones appear not to be avaialble.

What I want to do is make a sandwich of alu then plastic then alu, and it needs to be bolted (and glued) together. I can get alu threaded rod and alu nuts, but for reasons that should become clear in another thread I’d rather not have a protrudance.

kayak23

How strong does it gotta be?
    I’ve seen plastic versions.

doomanic

molgrips
    Free Member

Does need to be fairly strong – plastic wouldn’t do I don’t think.

Good find doomaniac, not sure if those are big/strong enough, but maybe worth investigating ta.

hopkinsgm

Possibly a stupid question with this being a cycling forum and what not, but would chainring fixings do the job?

molgrips
    Free Member

Ooh yeah they might! Alu chainring bolts are available.. nice idea. Although the flange isn’t huge.. but could be a good option.

rootes1

search for joint connector bolts – the set is a connector bolt and cap nut / or furniture connector bolts – also occasionally sex bolts, sleeve nuts etc

normal hex or torx rather than crosshead.

depends though on what you doing and what are the required dims etc. only non hex/torx could are slotted, but in stainless…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Fit an isolating washer between the fixing and the component.. plastic or rubber

Galvanic corrosion can only occur where there is electrical connection between the two.materials. ie electrons don’t jump.through thin air

So assuming your not submersing /splashing this assembly in salty water regularly you’d be fine.

molgrips
    Free Member

So assuming your not submersing /splashing this assembly in salty water regularly you’d be fine.

It’s for a bike so it happens regularly.

Greybeard
    Free Member

If you can find some aluminium rod the right diameter (pure Al or soft alloy) you can rivet them; traditional not pop rivets, just gently hammering the metal into a countersink.

dyna-ti

A picture speaks a thousand words.

Shame STW dont allow direct from your computer posting of pics.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you can find some aluminium rod the right diameter (pure Al or soft alloy) you can rivet them; traditional not pop rivets, just gently hammering the metal into a countersink.

Brilliant suggestion! (not sarcasm)

scuttler

Possibly a stupid question with this being a cycling forum and what not, but would chainring fixings do the job?

Wassa chainring?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘What’s this fastener called?’ is closed to new replies.