Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • What’s this and how do I get it out of my wall?
  • Premier Icon Saccades
    Free Member

The side gate is held onto the wall with 4 of these things.

I need to sort the door (kids used the back as ladders to get to the latch) which includes replacing the wood fixed to the wall with these.

Any idea?

Premier Icon the-muffin-man

Premier Icon stevied

Looks like an evil owl to me:
    owl

Premier Icon fasthaggis

I would attack it with a hole saw and chisel first to clear some of the wood around it,see what you are dealing with..
    hole saw

Premier Icon JAG
    Free Member

Looks like a Rawl-Bolt or similar.

Is there any feature on the ‘head’ to fit a tool and unscrew it?

Something for an Allen Key or big screwdriver etc…

Premier Icon sharkbait
    Free Member

Frozen sausage?

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

Its a hamnered in wall anchor

Here you go

Crow bar would seem to be a great choice. Second attempt would be remove wood to see if that will release sone pressure on it and you might be able to grab and twist with molegrips etc.

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

If it’s a Rawlbolt then they work by expansion. Depending on what it’s in it may have loosened.

Remove the wood. Try and screw in a long bolt of the appropriate size and wiggle it to see if it is loose. You may be able to pull it out without damaging the wall. If not get a hammer drill and a small bit (5mm should be fine) and drill a series of holes next to the Rawlbolt. It should now come out easily.

Patch and make good.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

If it is a hammered in anchor I’d cut the wood away then angle grind the bolt. Trying to pull that out of concrete (eg with a pry bar) will likely leave a bigger problem behind.

It does look like there is a tool recces in the head though so (assuming there’s no longer longer purchase for a tool) again “cut” the wood away then try mole grips or something to rotate.

Premier Icon tthew

If you just go battering at it with a crowbar I’d have thought there’s a risk of damaging the bricks or at least that pebble-dashed finish, depends on how firmly set into the wall the fixtures are.

I think fasthaggis’s more subtle suggestion is better, try and get rid of the wood first.

Premier Icon molgrips

Sub-surface displacement missiles.

Premier Icon mudfish

Remove the wood and grind the heads off with an anglegrinder, attacking with a crowbar might leave you with significant damage to the wall, those things are designed to stay in place under significant load.

Premier Icon donks
    Free Member

Looks to me like an express nail. I’ve used them to fix posts to walls. They are superb things, basically a hollow tube with a split down the length that you hammer into a slightly smaller pre_drilled hole. Much quicker than Rawl bolts and by God they hold the object tight.
    Regarding removal, if it’s the nail you want gone but the timber to remain then it’s what’s holding it so not recommended but if want rid of the timber to can drill it or slip a hacksaw blade in behind the timber and cut through the nail.

Premier Icon Greybeard

I’d probably try drilling into the head first. See what size drill fits down the centre of the fixing and go 2mm bigger. If that removes the head you can probably pry the timber off the wall. Then angle grinder to cut the fixing off flush.

Premier Icon whitestone
    Free Member

I’d probably try drilling into the head first. See what size drill fits down the centre of the fixing and go 2mm bigger.

Hmm …

Premier Icon Saccades
    Free Member

Cheers all.

I’m removing the wood (it’s cracked from the weight but these stayed in place) and I’m going to drill out the centre’s so it’s easier to remove the top (no angle grinder).

Then I reckon I leave the stumps in place, they will be hidden by the replacement wood.

I was thinking crowbar but reckon I’ll destroy the render…

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

and I’m going to drill out the centre’s so it’s easier to remove the top (no angle grinder).

Be a little more careful than you think you need with that, wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen a compression fixing bite the drill and turn pulling a flipping great lump of material with it. On the up side they do come out of the wall at that point.

Premier Icon Saccades
    Free Member

Humm… Might just spend the time with a hacksaw then.

Premier Icon Murray

A cheap angle grinder’s £25 and will be a lot quicker – just make sure you take care. The video below has lots of good info.

Premier Icon rob1984p
    Free Member

Damaging the pebbledash is very likely if you try to lever off the wall, as is breaking a brick.

If you are to do further practical tasks in the future an angle grinder is a great investment. The cheap ones used to be a tenner or so but I expect this is likely to have risen significantly.

Many cheapies grinders come with all manner of discs…ideal for the next time you have to cut an awkward tile, fork steerer, seized rotor bolt.

Plus, sparks are cool and you won’t have to wait until November fifth for your next instalment.

Premier Icon csb

Hacksaw blade down the gap between the wood and the wall surely?

Premier Icon joshvegas
    Free Member

Seriously mole grips or grippy pliers on the sticky out end and twist back and forth and it’ll come out.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.